The Student Room Group

What would you do if you found an iPhone on the floor (but with a smashed screen)?

This recently happened to me and for the briefest moment I thought you know what, I would really like one of these, I could just keep it and get the screen fixed for a lot less than an iPhone would cost. I picked it up of course, figuring I would hand it in at reception or something later, only to discover the owner a couple of meters away frantically searching their bag for it.

I handed it over and felt proud that I had done the right thing, but it was interesting to be in a situation where I had to make a decision like that. On the one hand I would have thought if I could get a virtually free iPhone, for once I was having good luck, finders keepers etc. On the other hand, I would expect myself to do the nice thing and never forgive myself if I didn't.

So, what would you have done in the same situation, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't know. Not been in that situation.
fix the screen + ebay = profit?
Original post by StephenP91
Don't know. Not been in that situation.

This.
Pick it up, enter the serial number on the Apple site and see if it's still under warranty, get free iPhone, sell free iPhone, buy Windows Phone.
Reply 5
If I was in that situation I'd probably hand it to the police, assuming the owner wasn't around nearby.

I couldn't live with myself if I stole someone's iphone.
Original post by misst911
This recently happened to me and for the briefest moment I thought you know what, I would really like one of these, I could just keep it and get the screen fixed for a lot less than an iPhone would cost. I picked it up of course, figuring I would hand it in at reception or something later, only to discover the owner a couple of meters away frantically searching their bag for it.

I handed it over and felt proud that I had done the right thing, but it was interesting to be in a situation where I had to make a decision like that. On the one hand I would have thought if I could get a virtually free iPhone, for once I was having good luck, finders keepers etc. On the other hand, I would expect myself to do the nice thing and never forgive myself if I didn't.

So, what would you have done in the same situation, and why?

About a year ago I found a wallet on a bus. I remembered where the owner had got off, and he got off at the stop after mine, so I told the driver I'd found a wallet then raced off after the guy to hand his wallet back.

Why? Because even though someone might not have done the same thing to me, I appreciate that that wallet would be important to him. I wouldn't want to be without my phone, wallet, keys etc. Sure it'd have been tremendous to get £100 for doing nothing, but I'd have felt absolutely awful taking £x amount of money from someone.

If I couldn't return it, I'd probably look for his ID and contact him somehow. I think he was a student. Same for a phone, I'd take it home and find out who the owner is. Someone did that for me when I was about 10. I lost a white phone in the snow (of all places!) and someone got it back to me.
Keep it, no questions asked. The moment they lost their iPhone they lost their right to the property. Simple.
Reply 8
Honesty and integrity, I like it OP.
Reply 9
Original post by Black Mammoth
Pick it up, enter the serial number on the Apple site and see if it's still under warranty, get free iPhone, sell free iPhone, buy Windows Phone.

And why would this accidental damage be covered by the warranty?

Original post by whythehellnot
Keep it, no questions asked. The moment they lost their iPhone they lost their right to the property. Simple.

Good luck with the judge when you try to justify theft with that reasoning.

Handing the phone in to the Police is the correct thing to do.
Reply 10
well with an iphone i would hand it in, most of them can be traced if you plug it into the apple apps site(assuming its reported lost/stolen and was a phone locked to contract)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
I always hand stuff in tbh. So that.
Reply 12
Teach them a lesson and keep it.

What if next time, they forget their baby in the pram and leave it staring down the long aisle at Asda?

Should teach them to be more careful in future.
Reply 13
I would always give it back, hand it somewhere. I could never keep it ever. I'm not that desperate for a phone, and it's wrong.
If I didn't see someone frantically looking around for it, I probably would have just taken it. It would have only been taken by someone else anyway. (I know that's not good moral reasoning but hey).

Mind, the owner would probably have blocked it through its IMEI within hours anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by ilickbatteries
About a year ago I found a wallet on a bus. I remembered where the owner had got off, and he got off at the stop after mine, so I told the driver I'd found a wallet then raced off after the guy to hand his wallet back.

Why? Because even though someone might not have done the same thing to me, I appreciate that that wallet would be important to him. I wouldn't want to be without my phone, wallet, keys etc. Sure it'd have been tremendous to get £100 for doing nothing, but I'd have felt absolutely awful taking £x amount of money from someone.

If I couldn't return it, I'd probably look for his ID and contact him somehow. I think he was a student. Same for a phone, I'd take it home and find out who the owner is. Someone did that for me when I was about 10. I lost a white phone in the snow (of all places!) and someone got it back to me.

I guess the world needs more honest people like you. What did he say when you gave it back to him? I'd probally give you some of the money for being so honest and caring! :tongue:
Original post by Luceria
I would always give it back, hand it somewhere. I could never keep it ever. I'm not that desperate for a phone, and it's wrong.

This, I have lost a few phones in the past.

At least one was returned to me thanks to someone generous, though sadly not everyone is kind. I think one was destroyed or stolen in a mosh pit as I found no trace of it and it was switched off by the time I discovered it was missing.

In all honesty if I wanted an iPhone I can afford to buy one but since I'm happy with my current phone for the time being I wont be rushing to hand over 500 wing wangs for a phone which doesn't do that much more than my iPod touch.

I would do my best to return the phone to it's rightful owner, as regardless of how careful you are there is always the potential to lose something.
Reply 17
Original post by ExcessNeo
This, I have lost a few phones in the past.

At least one was returned to me thanks to someone generous, though sadly not everyone is kind. I think one was destroyed or stolen in a mosh pit as I found no trace of it and it was switched off by the time I discovered it was missing.

In all honesty if I wanted an iPhone I can afford to buy one but since I'm happy with my current phone for the time being I wont be rushing to hand over 500 wing wangs for a phone which doesn't do that much more than my iPod touch.

I would do my best to return the phone to it's rightful owner, as regardless of how careful you are there is always the potential to lose something.

Yeah.. I'm always happy when I find things, because then I feel happy for the owner. That I can return it to them (hopefully).. I don't trust anyone. Yeah, it's bad. But I know other people who have said the same. It keeps my things safe. A lot of people are naive. Leave their laptops to go the toilet etc.
Reply 18
Its only an iPhone. Second thread I've seen like this. They're good, not amazing - yet every time someone finds one they think its christmas. Someone out there is obviously a sad man because they've just lost their phone. Nice one for giving it back.
this has happened to me and I gave it back they weren't there and I could have easily kept it. I used to work in a bank and old ladies would send in wodges of cash but I wouldnt steal it because I'm not a cheating ****er.

Quick Reply

Latest