The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Another hopeful English teacher here - got my AC date on the 8th Aug. Very happy to have gotten this far :smile:
you can have a smart jumper and a skirt/trousers or a dress. I know people who wore both and got in.
Great, thanks everyone.
I will try and find something this week
Reply 83
Good luck everybody! I'm applying too :smile:
Original post by leannewoodward
Hi, that is really early! mine is for primary on 20th july -I was wondering if you would mind sharing the 7 minute lesson topics when you hear?0 unless TF swear you to secrecy! im just dying to hear of an example primary topic. I hope your AC goes well : )

Pretty sure there's no real benefit... the questions may change from session to session. But there is no primary topic, you have to choose a secondary topic.
Reply 85
Hi,

I've got the AC too like KWES91 on the 12th July so just a week to go now :smile: Got the lesson through this morning & I have to say Im so pleased with my topic.
I am most dreading the group task because like a lot of people said on the previous post, if youre put in with a group of people that are loud, talk over you etc then I can imagine its going to be pretty difficult but then I guess its very similar to if you have unruly children in your class!

Very much looking forward to the day & will be relieved when its over so I can know if I get on. Im getting married in October so I'll potentially be uprooting both of us :smile:

Good luck everyone with your AC :smile:
Original post by tbcontinued
Pretty sure there's no real benefit... the questions may change from session to session. But there is no primary topic, you have to choose a secondary topic.

Oh, that's interesting. So do you get several question from different subject areas and just pick something? I thought it would be a primary topic
Reply 87
Anyone got the Assessment Centre on the 10th of August?
Reply 88
Original post by Wild_Kim86
Hi,

I've got the AC too like KWES91 on the 12th July so just a week to go now :smile: Got the lesson through this morning & I have to say Im so pleased with my topic.

Hooray :smile: Which subject are you applying for? Nervous?
Reply 89
Original post by kwes91
Hooray :smile: Which subject are you applying for? Nervous?

Im applying for Primary teaching & my degree is in MFL. How about you? I think there are 2 lots of people each day, what time are you due there? Im due at 10am. Very excited & coming from Manchester :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Wild_Kim86
Im applying for Primary teaching & my degree is in MFL. How about you? I think there are 2 lots of people each day, what time are you due there? Im due at 10am. Very excited & coming from Manchester :smile:

I'm applying for primary too! My degree is Theology. I'm in the 9:20 bunch. I'm not entirely sure how it all works! Maybe our days are in a different order or something. Coming down from Birmingham - luckily the other half is from London so I have a place to stay!
Reply 91
Hi,

I recently sent of my application for maths/business studies.

If we make it to the A.C, does anyone know how the offer and acceptance process works if we get in? i.e. Do we accept a place straight away or do we wait until we get our results when graduating?

It would be great if somebody could help as i can't find this information on the website, thanks!
Reply 92
Original post by ons_123
Hi,

I recently sent of my application for maths/business studies.

If we make it to the A.C, does anyone know how the offer and acceptance process works if we get in? i.e. Do we accept a place straight away or do we wait until we get our results when graduating?

It would be great if somebody could help as i can't find this information on the website, thanks!

They ring you up after a few days and make you an offer. I think you have 2 weeks to accept/decline. The offer is conditional on your degree and you passing the Subject Knowledge Audit, but if something goes wrong and you don't get the degree result you expected, I think they are fairly flexible. The best thing to do is to contact them and ask.
Reply 93
Thanks for that reply, helps a lot!
Reply 94
Hi All
I applied last year to TF and got rejected. I got feedback and it was purely because I didn't talk enough in the group task as 2 girls talked over me but everything else I did was good. I am thinking of applying again but my problem is I havent really got much more experience or anything. I have been tutoring for another year on top of the two years I had before I applied but thats it really as I have been at Uni. Has anyone else reapplied with not much extra experience and got in? What chances do reapplicants have?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by vickiw89
Hi All
I applied last year to TF and got rejected. I got feedback and it was purely because I didn't talk enough in the group task as 2 girls talked over me but everything else I did was good. I am thinking of applying again but my problem is I havent really got much more experience or anything. I have been tutoring for another year on top of the two years I had before I applied but thats it really as I have been at Uni. Has anyone else reapplied with not much extra experience and got in? What chances do reapplicants have?

Hi Vicki

I applied last year and was rejected at the AC stage due to sample lesson. I went on to get a job teaching A level as an unqualified. My AC is next week!

Don't think of it in the sense that you've got nothing more to add, i think it's more about you having another chance at something you really want. There are plenty of people who get in with little or no experience.

Reapplicants do have as much chance as new applicants, i've heard this from TF themselves.
Reply 96
Original post by star2899
Hi Vicki

I applied last year and was rejected at the AC stage due to sample lesson. I went on to get a job teaching A level as an unqualified. My AC is next week!

Don't think of it in the sense that you've got nothing more to add, i think it's more about you having another chance at something you really want. There are plenty of people who get in with little or no experience.

Reapplicants do have as much chance as new applicants, i've heard this from TF themselves.

Thats great thanks. Good luck with the AC. I suppose at least we know what to expect which could be a good thing. On your application are the questions the same as last year and if they are did you put similar answers? This part worried me a little as I thought my last answers were the best I could do so dont really know how I could improve but dont want to put the same answers as last time
Reply 97
Hi everyone!

I have noticed there are very few people applying for languages at secondary level, does anyone know how many places there are for each subject?
As for experience and backing up your knowledge of the competencies do you think its acceptable to repeat / talk about the things you talked about on your application form? Or will they expect you to use new examples?
I noticed a few people worrying about what to wear, I've gone for a dress and blazer if that helps at all.
I'm a little bit overwhelmed by the fact that I seem to be quite a young applicant. I am about to do my fourth year of my degree having just done a year abroad and won't graduate until this time next year!
Any tips or advice about the day would be very welcome !
Reply 98
Original post by kjmeyrick
Hi everyone!

I have noticed there are very few people applying for languages at secondary level, does anyone know how many places there are for each subject?
As for experience and backing up your knowledge of the competencies do you think its acceptable to repeat / talk about the things you talked about on your application form? Or will they expect you to use new examples?
I noticed a few people worrying about what to wear, I've gone for a dress and blazer if that helps at all.
I'm a little bit overwhelmed by the fact that I seem to be quite a young applicant. I am about to do my fourth year of my degree having just done a year abroad and won't graduate until this time next year!
Any tips or advice about the day would be very welcome !

Hi Kjmeyrick

I am a reapplicant as i applied last year around this time when i was a fourth year also so i wouldn't worry about being too young.
I just answered the questions with the best examples possible, i think they expect you to repeat examples and I certainly did. Although I didn't get in they said my interview was good so I guess they didn't mind.
I just wore a suit and most people had similar so you will be fine. When is your AC?
Overall i would say don't worry, be yourself and try and not be nervous. What let me down was I didn't really talk enough during the group task as 2 dominant personalities just took over and I let them which I regret as it seemed to be the only thing that stopped me getting in. You acutally don't sepnd that much time being assessed and a lot of hanging around so its not as bad as it seems.

xxx
I am on the scheme having been turned away the first time I applied. I reapplied with more humility and got in. It shows resilience!

Quick Reply

Latest