The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
the maths test was a lot of questions on trig and some algebra, easy if you do a-level maths if not i'd get a friend to teach you the basic rules and stuff that you do at AS-level! The logic test you can't really prepare for =/ there was a paragraph of text and you had to say if various statements were true/false based on what you were given. Both of em were multiple choce though thankfully XD the life drawing was 15 mins, 5 min, and 3 min sketches which was for me the most stressful x.x Good luck!
Original post by katie55
well done guys and good luck Lydia1234 :smile: i hope i get in :/ what were the tests like at bournemouth??

thank-you. I'm looking on the bright side, maybe a course that rejects me for maths isn't really a kind of course that i would enjoy. Of course I would love an offer but hey, things happen for a reason.

For life drawing practise getting in the head quickly then quick measurements of the head in relation to each limb and torso ( head too nipples, head too belly button then head too bum) I found that really helps me. Also using your pencil, hold it up to the model, close one eye and get the angle of the arms and legs. Also with the 3min ones I think they were trying to do long gesture poses so maybe have ago and gesture drawing.
Best of luck for your interview
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by prochembro
What do you guys think of this Masters program from Bradford/Escape Studios.

http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/find-a-vfx-course/

You might want to also look at the NCCA Masters prgrammes as well. We have three flavours:

» 3D Computer Animation MA
http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-degree/3d-computer-animation/ma/99/

» Digital Effects MA
http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-degree/digital-effects/ma/101/

» Computer Animation and Visual Effects MSc
http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-degree/computer-animation-visual-effects/msc/498/

Student work can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/NCCADigitalFX
http://www.youtube.com/NCCAAnimation

Fees are cheaper with UK/EU full-time students: £7,000 and International (non-EU) full-time students: £13,000

Cheers

Saf
Reply 2083
Original post by Lydia1234
thank-you. I'm looking on the bright side, maybe a course that rejects me for maths isn't really a kind of course that i would enjoy. Of course I would love an offer but hey, things happen for a reason.

For life drawing practise getting in the head quickly then quick measurements of the head in relation to each limb and torso ( head too nipples, head too belly button then head too bum) I found that really helps me. Also using your pencil, hold it up to the model, close one eye and get the angle of the arms and legs. Also with the 3min ones I think they were trying to do long gesture poses so maybe have ago and gesture drawing.
Best of luck for your interview
x

thank you for the advice i really need to practice that life drawing ive got a few more sessions before my interview so hopefully i'll be okay :L after exams i need to really revise for that maths test im applying for CAA so hopefully maths isnt too important, i cant imagine getting a decent mark
Hey I've got an interview for Hertfordshire on the 20th and Teeside 1st Feb. (waiting for Bournemouth still)

To moid or anyone else, I was just wondering is there such thing as bring too much life drawing?
Should I bring some quick 5-15 mins life drawings too?
When I mount my work, do I need to add some annotations?

Never done a portfolio before so I want to do my best to show what I can do.I will bring my best work and will being some variety such as photography, art pieces in other materials and such.

Currently I'm doing my EPQ on animation character in the process of designing it then apply it into 3D. But unfortunately, I haven't got any computer 3D work that I could show >_<'' Is that ok?

I did read somewhere they would like some 3D work for Hertfordshire I think, but I know some don't need to.

Hannah~
Reply 2085
Hi Hannah

Potentially yes there is such a thing as too much life drawing :smile: We'd prefer to see longer poses, finished works, but if you have movement studies (drawing the model while they move about) these will obviously be a lot sketchier, but we like to see them. Only put your best works in please, don't bother to show us how you have improved over time etc just show the best (5 -6 images will be fine). You don't need to add annotations, you'll be with the portfolio when we look at it, so if we need to ask any questions about what we are looking at you can tell us directly. If you want to add annotations for another interview that's fine, we don't mind :smile:

Yes to photography please - look for pieces with strong composition and lighting. If you haven't got any 3D work (we would like to see this, but we do accept students without it as long as they are really talented at traditional art), have you got any examples of digital paintings (Photoshop or Painter) so we can see that you know what to do with a computer and aren't afraid to use one :smile:

Please bring some perspective drawings (two point) to show knowledge of this important area. Bring the character design you are working on (Front, Side, Back and three Quarter Views in colour to scale)

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you on the 20th :smile:
Original post by katie55
thank you for the advice i really need to practice that life drawing ive got a few more sessions before my interview so hopefully i'll be okay :L after exams i need to really revise for that maths test im applying for CAA so hopefully maths isnt too important, i cant imagine getting a decent mark

I opened the test and died on the inside! On a brighter note, it is multiple choice :biggrin:
Reply 2087
I am a current Computer Animation Arts (CAA) Student at Bournemouth in my second year, and am loving it. I found this forum really useful for when I was applying and making decisions, and if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to send me a message.
Original post by moid
Hi Hannah

Potentially yes there is such a thing as too much life drawing :smile: We'd prefer to see longer poses, finished works, but if you have movement studies (drawing the model while they move about) these will obviously be a lot sketchier, but we like to see them. Only put your best works in please, don't bother to show us how you have improved over time etc just show the best (5 -6 images will be fine). You don't need to add annotations, you'll be with the portfolio when we look at it, so if we need to ask any questions about what we are looking at you can tell us directly. If you want to add annotations for another interview that's fine, we don't mind :smile:

Yes to photography please - look for pieces with strong composition and lighting. If you haven't got any 3D work (we would like to see this, but we do accept students without it as long as they are really talented at traditional art), have you got any examples of digital paintings (Photoshop or Painter) so we can see that you know what to do with a computer and aren't afraid to use one :smile:

Please bring some perspective drawings (two point) to show knowledge of this important area. Bring the character design you are working on (Front, Side, Back and three Quarter Views in colour to scale)

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you on the 20th :smile:

Thank you!
Do I need to bring in some progress work sheets of how I get there to produce the final piece in terms of it's idea and/or creating it?
I'll bring in all the development drawings for my character, as well as the finish drawing.
I plan on bring in my Art sketchbook and photography sketchbook is that ok?

Hannah~
Reply 2089
If the progress work sheets show good drawing and design ideas; bring them. Sketchbooks are good - as long as they contain drawings - we see a lot of sketchbooks that are nothing but collages of other people's art and we don't care about that, we want to see what the applicant can do :smile:

See you
Reply 2090
For anyone who is reading this thread and is considering getting into Animation / VFX, Double Negative (one of the largest VFX companies in London) have set up a very useful page of links for areas they consider to be essential for students to study

http://www.dneg.com/careers_information_and_resources_386.html

Worth a trawl through, there are a lot of great resources there.
Hey, I'm currently in my first year at Bournemouth Uni studying CAA and i went to interviews and got in at Hertfordshire, Teesside, UCA and UCLAN so if anyone wants any advice on the interviews then you can contact me and I can try and help.
At Bournemouth interview I got about 30% on the maths test, i really am terrible at maths. The life drawing was quite rubbish but i got 94% on the logic test.

If anyone wants any advice on what things they asked or whats on the test then i will happily answer your questions if you send me a message. Or what the first year is like at Bournemouth.
Hope you get in where you wish too.

Ps. Bournemouth is great
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2092
Original post by caiitlinz
Reading your application trials and tribulations, It's crazy to think that that was me a whole year ago! It's flown by so quickly...

Anyway, just posting to say that if anyone is considering / has applied for Abertay, gimme a shout! I'm loving 1st year so far, and I'm happy to help with any questions you might have.

Good luck everyone! n__n

Hey!
I've applied to Abertay this year :biggrin: feeling more confident about applications after being half way in my foundation year, anyway just a quick question on what kind of things did you have in your portfolio? Like what kind of digital work. :smile:
Reply 2093
Original post by Sofronis
Hi Chris,

I work at the NCCA so I can give you some advise about this. Not all Universities require 3D experience before you apply or start the course, in fact courses at Bournemouth Universities NCCA require no CG experience at all. 3D is not a Pre-requisite. However, having 3D in your portfolio is not going to be frowned upon either - as long as its good work. What is important is excellent observational skills and/or technical ability - and because you are applying for the CAA pathway I would expect to see good art and design skills informed by your ability to communicate, your passion regarding the subject and you being able to talk about your influences and inspiration (and these don't have to be 3D!).

When compiling the portfolio ask yourself if this is your strongest work, can you talk about it confidently if asked to elaborate on the piece, does the portfolio give the interviewer a sense of who you are. Having a portfolio that is 2D or 3D is not a problem - just make sure its your best work. And bring sketch books!

Finally, the A levels you have undertaken are absolutely fine - good luck with the work.

Cheers

First of all thank you Sofronis for this information, sorry it has taken me so long to reply (I haven't been able to check TSR as of late due to various commitments).

Second of all I was wondering if anyone could give some advice. I have received interviews for Bradford, Portsmouth, Teesside with a scholarship and Hertfordshire (Bournemouth have not yet responded). However the two dates that Hertsfordshire gave me were ones on which i had modules. Having just read one of Moid's earlier posts (about requests for new interview dates affecting your chances) which has worried me. I was just wondering is there still a chance of getting a date?

Also, as i am living in North London i am a six hour drive away from Teesside. This would mean going up the day before and staying in a hotel. In the letter they sent they sent there was mention of a telephone interview, i was wondering if this was reserved for international applicants or if i can ask to have one? I would usually go up to Teesside but as a result of unforseeable circumstances it would be very difficult to do so.

Finally here is a link to part of my portfolio, I understand that more figure drawing is necessary- they will be uploaded soon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - things to include or things not to include or things I could do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjs115/sets/72157628797155451/
Reply 2094
Hey CJS115, I have already emailed Teeside about a telephone interview due to it being a long and expensive trip from the south and I was told that I could send them a digital portfolio and they would give me a telephone interview. Just send an email to their admissions and they should answer relatively quickly. When did you send your application off? I'm still waiting on a couple of interviews you mentioned and its worrying me haha. :smile:
Reply 2095
Thanks so much Azora, i'll e-mail them right now. Do they actually phone you or is it like a skype interview?
Ermm I sent my application of around the 20th of December and I only got the letters at the weekend so it does take some time - where are you applying to? I think the bulk of the interview haven't been given out yet (I can't guarantee this, but I hope they haven't) , so you still have a good chance of getting it.

Thanks again Azora the info has helped me a lot!
Reply 2096
No problem dude, I'm not sure how they conduct the interview I'm waiting for them to get back to me about it, assuming their quite buzy haha.

I sent my application off around the same time. I have applied to BU Teeside and Herts. Have BU interview on the 25th jan, Waiting for Teeside to arrange a phone interview and have yet to hear back from Hertfordshire yet. Just hoping for herts soon so I can book the time off from work.

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my UCAS tho. I received my BU invitation through email but nothings changed on my UCAS which is odd

I really like your portfolio by the way, those paintings are great. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2097
Thanks man:smile:

Yeah the same thing happened with my Bradford interview, they gave it to me by e-mail but nothing changed on my UCAS. It might be that it onl changes when they hand out offers- might me different for different Unis I am getting quite worried about my response from Bournemouth, do you know many who have got one. Congrats on getting it and your other ones, and gd luck with it on the 25th.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HWD-x
Hey!
I've applied to Abertay this year :biggrin: feeling more confident about applications after being half way in my foundation year, anyway just a quick question on what kind of things did you have in your portfolio? Like what kind of digital work. :smile:

Awesome! Okay, portfolio-wise they want similar things to the other courses; good life drawing, figure studies, pieces that show perspective and depth etc. Basically anything that is from life that you've developed will get you good marks.

Personally, all I'd done digitally before I came here was some Photoshop painting and a tiny bit of Flash. I mentioned my flash work but printed out 5/6 pieces of my digital work. They were most interested in the stuff I'd developed from previous ideas; it wasn't just the final digital painting they wanted to see, but my sketchbook pen sketches, colour tests and different compositons. If you have 3D experience it'd be good to put that in, though.

Good luck! Drop me a message if you want to ask anything else or chat more c:
Reply 2099
Original post by cjs115

Second of all I was wondering if anyone could give some advice. I have received interviews for Bradford, Portsmouth, Teesside with a scholarship and Hertfordshire (Bournemouth have not yet responded). However the two dates that Hertsfordshire gave me were ones on which i had modules. Having just read one of Moid's earlier posts (about requests for new interview dates affecting your chances) which has worried me. I was just wondering is there still a chance of getting a date?

Finally here is a link to part of my portfolio, I understand that more figure drawing is necessary- they will be uploaded soon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - things to include or things not to include or things I could do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjs115/sets/72157628797155451/

Hi there - if you have problems with either date just PM me and send me your name, UCAS ID number (10 digit) and let me know when would be a better date - interviews are on Fridays at Hertfordshire, so you'll need to pick a Friday in term time, and don't leave it too late, we are currently just as busy with applicants as we were last year (!), despite all the warnings in the media that applications would be down this year, it seems that people still really want to study animation (which is nice to know).

Your portfolio is really good in places, you need to watch your torso proportions though - there is a tendency when drawing a model with raised arms to elongate the torso to match the upward thrust of energy through the pose, but try to visualise the torso in space without the arms and legs and that might help you get the scale under control. If you want to cut anything, the last image of the female trunk and lower body is the most distorted / weakest image anatomy wise.

Colour fan - great colour, shows complementary colour theory well, plus dynamic shape

Your landscape painting is great, I'd definitely want to see those in the interview :smile: My only crit would be that the second one has too many pure greens in it - you should mix very small quantities of a orange red (cadmium red is good, but very small quantities) to greens when you paint foliage to desaturate the greens. Another technique is to glaze red in extremely dilute quantities in whatever medium you are painting in on top of the reds to knock them back a bit. Maxfield Parrish (google him, bloody talented painter) once said "There's an awful lot of red in a tree."

If you want to lighten anything you can drop the Claes Oldenburg stuff, but leave it in if it's a problem to remove, it's just not very interesting (sorry if you are a fan). If you want to go and draw (from life) a 19th century sculptor like Rodin, I'd be interested in that.

Have you got the whole of Battersea power station without the circle masks?

Muscle anatomy sheet - good

Perspective drawing of the bridge - this looks very mechanical, might be the reproduction here, was it drawn without tracing it from a photo?

Photo of nephew - fine

Skull - nicely observed, yes this is good. If you have any more skeletal parts available, draw them!

Zbrush - can't crit that yet, there's not enough of it yet, although it's good to see some 3D.

Wind turbines - I don't know how much you know Photoshop, but a Curves layer with an S curve that hits the dark tones a bit more than the light tones (dark down and to the right, bright tones up and left a bit) would make both images much more dramatic and interesting.

I think your interviews will go well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest