The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by MaiQ
I did A Level Math and Further Math, got A* for both. I am not sure how difficult is IB, but Math in LSE definitely requires some background of Further Math otherwise u will have to try hard to catch up with others. It is compulsory for First Year Econ so MA100 could be a bit of a night mare, but just remember you need to work hard and never fall behind, because materials build up so quickly. It was a bit of a transition for me as Math in uni doesnt work out the way like in A Level - AL Math: You study all examples in the books well/ learn the techniques/ apply it to similar problems in exams > high score. In uni, they design papers in the way that make sure even if you learn by heart the textbook you wont be able to score full mark in Math.
Goodluck.

Thank you for your post.

I'm just wondering - I've done A Level Maths and got an A*, and am now doing AS Further Maths. I can do Maths, but have to work hard, with help from teachers in order to do really well. Is there much help for people that are struggling, in the way of, for example, one to one tutorials or small classes etc? Or is one just expected to get on with it?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by MaiQ

My background: I got a job at the LSE Career Service

You're so, so lucky! But how did you apply for it? I didn't see any positions being advertised and the lsesu website is terrible for keeping abreast of new vacancies
I studied really hard to get a place in LSE now I am studying more harder than ever before so that I can get out of LSE :|
Reply 223
Original post by math1234
I studied really hard to get a place in LSE now I am studying more harder than ever before so that I can get out of LSE :|

Haha it's so awkward being an offer holder and realizing that the real challenge is not to get in but get out of LSE!
Original post by Koro
Haha it's so awkward being an offer holder and realizing that the real challenge is not to get in but get out of LSE!

congrats, what will you be studying at LSE?
Reply 225

Is this because you don't like it?
Original post by Adamw92
Is this because you don't like it?

No way man, I love it but as the studies are really hard in lse therefore not just only me, everybody works hard to get out :wink:
Reply 227
congrats, what will you be studying at LSE?

Accounting and Finance hopefully. What have you heard about the course?
I believe that getting an offer is the 80% of the deal in terms of difficulty. Were you anxious of not meeting it after you got it?
Original post by Koro
Accounting and Finance hopefully. What have you heard about the course?
I believe that getting an offer is the 80% of the deal in terms of difficulty. Were you anxious of not meeting it after you got it?

Trust me you will love LSE.
A friend of mine have studied this course and he is kind of satisfied from the course & now he's working in JP-Morgan, so I guess it should be a good course.

Wish you all the best.
Trust me you will love LSE.
A friend of mine have studied this course and he is kind of satisfied from the course & now he's working in JP-Morgan, so I guess it should be a good course.

Wish you all the best.

Another A&F offer holder here, posts like these are very encouraging haha. But does anyone know about the level of math needed in A&F? Is it the same standard as those doing Econ?
Original post by bigcam0011
Another A&F offer holder here, posts like these are very encouraging haha. But does anyone know about the level of math needed in A&F? Is it the same standard as those doing Econ?

If you are talking about MSc in A&F then yes it's kind of mathematical though I don't know too much about the whole course because I just studied two modules from this degree course, derivatives , and financial risk analysis, these subjects also cover the basic fundamentals of finance but mainly the courses are mathematically if I am not wrong, I will say that these two subjects are very mathematical formulae based courses. I guess basic calculus of undergrad level should be enough.

wish you all the best.
Original post by MaiQ
I still remember the day when I read every single post of this thread to gather more info about LSE. Now Im a fresher studying BSc Economics here, I think it will be nice to give the info for those who wanna know about my life at LSE.

Hey,
Hopefully I will be starting straight Econ this Sep and I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions.

1. After reading what people say about EC102 it sounds like quite a tough module, is there any advice you would give specifically for that in terms of techniques to learn it and get a good mark in it ?

2. Will the fact that you have not taken MA103 disadvantage you in the three compulsory modules next year ? And what do you plan on taking next year as the optional ?

3. Lastly, I am thinking of doing a language too, looking at Russian (but you can just answer these questions as if I was asking about mandarin). I am a complete beginner and by that I mean I have absolutely no knowledge of it at all. Was it the same case with you, by your picture you look like you may have already known some mandarin.
How is the mandarin course, I know they say that no pre-req knowledge is needed but is the course really doable if you know absolutely nothing about mandarin ? By difficult do you mean that if I put in the necessary hours then I will get it or do you mean it is something that, for some people, they try and try and try but they never get it ?
How many hours do you put in outside the 6 hours of classes ? And, realistically what marks do most people who start from scratch get in this course, is this the one that most people do the worst in out of their 4 modules ?

Edit: Forgot to ask, are you doing this mandarin course mainly for the job prospects available after doing it or is it mainly due to an interest in mandarin ?

Thnx :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 232
Original post by member910132
Hey,
Hopefully I will be starting straight Econ this Sep and I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions.

1. After reading what people say about EC102 it sounds like quite a tough module, is there any advice you would give specifically for that in terms of techniques to learn it and get a good mark in it ?

2. Will the fact that you have not taken MA103 disadvantage you in the three compulsory modules next year ? And what do you plan on taking next year as the optional ?

3. Lastly, I am thinking of doing a language too, looking at Russian (but you can just answer these questions as if I was asking about mandarin). I am a complete beginner and by that I mean I have absolutely no knowledge of it at all. Was it the same case with you, by your picture you look like you may have already known some mandarin.
How is the mandarin course, I know they say that no pre-req knowledge is needed but is the course really doable if you know absolutely nothing about mandarin ? By difficult do you mean that if I put in the necessary hours then I will get it or do you mean it is something that, for some people, they try and try and try but they never get it ?
How many hours do you put in outside the 6 hours of classes ? And, realistically what marks do most people who start from scratch get in this course, is this the one that most people do the worst in out of their 4 modules ?

Edit: Forgot to ask, are you doing this mandarin course mainly for the job prospects available after doing it or is it mainly due to an interest in mandarin ?

I'm a postgrad, so I can't account for your first 2 questions but I do advanced Russian and it's ok. Kind of a boring 2 hours every week, and the teaching isn't the best, but the text books are good and it's got a very practical focus (e.g. current affairs, Russian-Western relations). You have the time to learn the language but it will take a sizable chunk out of your week. I'd recommend spending the bulk of your time on it at the beginning of the year, then switching to your 'real' courses in spring to start revising. Mandarin would be good for the job prospects, but LSE is a hunting ground for banks anyway, most of my econ friends have done internships at Bar Cap, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan, etc, and KPMG sponsors most of the SU athletics teams
Reply 233
Hey,

Having done the EC102 exam last week and a lot of m friends are doing MA103 tomorrow, I can safely say that EC102 exam screwed everybody over (as in it mindf**ked all of us) and MA103 is a lot and a lot and a lot of proofs of theorems.
Original post by Brantonli
Having done the EC102 exam last week and a lot of m friends are doing MA103 tomorrow, I can safely say that EC102 exam screwed everybody over (as in it mindf**ked all of us) and MA103 is a lot and a lot and a lot of proofs of theorems.

Thnx for the warning lol, any advice on ec102 or ma103 ?
Reply 235
Hey,

I'm doing maths&econ, nearing the end of my 2nd year so I can try and answer 1 and 2.

1. I'm a more maths orientated person, ec102 was tough, a lot to learn...I managed to scrape a pass (which was not counted as first year they only average your top 3 modules). But if you can keep up with lectures (if it's Prof Young again, he talks way too fast) and classwork, a good bit of revision can quite easily get you a 1st (obviously that's not what I did).

2. I didn't ask my econ friends which modules were compulsory for them...but I think MA203 is, and MA103 does help a fair bit, but that's more with the thought process rather than actual knowledge. Though it's not really that helpful in the other maths half modules. I've heard a lot of econ students are struggling with it because of the mathematical analysis involved, which is nothing like the other modules they do, so they just want to pass it. So I guess if maths isn't your thing, go for econ history (I loved MA103 though)

I would advise you to choose the module that looks the most interesting to you. My compulsory modules weren't that great for me so I didn't really put much effort in.

3. Didn't do a language course...
Original post by rage222
I'm doing maths&econ, nearing the end of my 2nd year so I can try and answer 1 and 2.

1. I'm a more maths orientated person, ec102 was tough, a lot to learn...I managed to scrape a pass (which was not counted as first year they only average your top 3 modules). But if you can keep up with lectures (if it's Prof Young again, he talks way too fast) and classwork, a good bit of revision can quite easily get you a 1st (obviously that's not what I did).

2. I didn't ask my econ friends which modules were compulsory for them...but I think MA203 is, and MA103 does help a fair bit, but that's more with the thought process rather than actual knowledge. Though it's not really that helpful in the other maths half modules. I've heard a lot of econ students are struggling with it because of the mathematical analysis involved, which is nothing like the other modules they do, so they just want to pass it. So I guess if maths isn't your thing, go for econ history (I loved MA103 though)

I would advise you to choose the module that looks the most interesting to you. My compulsory modules weren't that great for me so I didn't really put much effort in.

3. Didn't do a language course...

Right, so if I genuinely enjoy maths and have got an A* in it and am expected to get an A* in FM but am not as good as those who have say applied to Cam/War and thus are good at STEP and so on will I still be able to cope with MA103 ?
Reply 237
Right, so if I genuinely enjoy maths and have got an A* in it and am expected to get an A* in FM but am not as good as those who have say applied to Cam/War and thus are good at STEP and so on will I still be able to cope with MA103 ?

It all depends on your ability to learn and cope with the pressure. Most the people who get in to LSE are qualified to be there, but advanced maths classes can be really hard... as well as some of the econ ones. For MA103, over the past 3 years there have been:

20% I
25% IIa
20% IIb
17% III
17% Fail

Going through, the maths classes have the highest fail rates. But if it wasn't tough... it wouldn't be LSE, I guess.
Is lla and llb 2:1 and 2:2 respectively ?

If I can self teach FM and get an a* should I be able to cope ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 239
Is lla and llb 2:1 and 2:2 respectively ?

If I can self teach FM and get an a* should I be able to cope ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah, it is. I dunno, I'm a grad student and I don't study maths. I just have friends who do so I'm aware of how hard it is.

Quick Reply

Latest