The Student Room Group

St George's University London SGUL Biomedical Science prospective students 2012

Thought i'd start a new thread as I couldnt find one on TSR (If there's one.. my apologies :tongue: ) for all the students who get their offers to do Biomed in SGUL, as I dont know anyone but myself who's going there (if I get the grades of course)
Please comment and start socializing guys :wink:
THAAAANKS :cool:

Scroll to see replies

:O There is a distinct lack of SGULness on TSR XD Yeh - it's my firm...i LOVE the university. I went there for a week-long-summer school back in year 10....i went back for the applicants day and absolutely loved it XD
Oh wow! I only went for the open day for applicants who've already been made offers!
I'm on UCAS, about to make it my firm in a minute wish me luck haha!
I soo agre on the lack of SGUL'ness - as you call it :tongue: I tried searching the whole forum, and found like 2 threads :/ Let's make this one big then :biggrin:
Its my firm too :biggrin:
*chi-ching* DONE !
Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 5
wooo finally a 2012 thread :biggrin: i've been hunting for a SGUL thread but been finding those old ones!
Firmed SGUL about two days ago. LOVED the uni and the atmosphere both times that I visited, and i seriously hope I get the grades I need and start in Sept! :biggrin:
Original post by Kittt
wooo finally a 2012 thread :biggrin: i've been hunting for a SGUL thread but been finding those old ones!
Firmed SGUL about two days ago. LOVED the uni and the atmosphere both times that I visited, and i seriously hope I get the grades I need and start in Sept! :biggrin:

haha! So glad im not the only one who's been looking for SGUL thread for literally months!
Ohh good luck with the grades, what offer did you get?
Do you know much about the Uni, and why did you like it so much :biggrin:?
Ive only been there once therefore cant say much, but i went with my gut feeling and ive firm'ed it yesterday ! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Currently doing biomed at SGUL and in my opinion its a really good course + SGUL is an amazing uni! :smile: Good luck with exams :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by banana_smoothie
haha! So glad im not the only one who's been looking for SGUL thread for literally months!
Ohh good luck with the grades, what offer did you get?
Do you know much about the Uni, and why did you like it so much :biggrin:?
Ive only been there once therefore cant say much, but i went with my gut feeling and ive firm'ed it yesterday ! :biggrin:

haha :biggrin: thank you, same to you! i got a conditional offer of ABB, what about you?
well i suppose i know as much as everyone else really, but reasons why i liked it were because:
1) small uni, such a friendly atmosphere, & everyone seemed so supportive. this was the only uni where i got that super friendly vibe from.
2) the biomed course is way more clinical than other biomed courses, and the clinical element was something that appealed to me a lot.
3) the mum's & dad's system sounds so nice, and seems like a great way to get to know people in the years above.
4) so yeah maybe Tooting isn't the safest place but it's such a vibrant place with loads of shops and restaurants, and its not that far from home so it ticked the location box.
5) one of the most important things to me: i felt SO at home and felt so comfortable being at the uni and speaking to current students.

so yeah! :P
Original post by Kittt
haha :biggrin: thank you, same to you! i got a conditional offer of ABB, what about you?
well i suppose i know as much as everyone else really, but reasons why i liked it were because:
1) small uni, such a friendly atmosphere, & everyone seemed so supportive. this was the only uni where i got that super friendly vibe from.
2) the biomed course is way more clinical than other biomed courses, and the clinical element was something that appealed to me a lot.
3) the mum's & dad's system sounds so nice, and seems like a great way to get to know people in the years above.
4) so yeah maybe Tooting isn't the safest place but it's such a vibrant place with loads of shops and restaurants, and its not that far from home so it ticked the location box.
5) one of the most important things to me: i felt SO at home and felt so comfortable being at the uni and speaking to current students.

so yeah! :P

WOW! Effort girl for writing so much :wink:
Yes i totally agree on the mums and dads thing. Hope I get nice parents haha!
Ive had conditional ABB :smile:
Oh so Im guessing youre from around London, if tooting is close to home?
Ive only been to oxford, cambridge and SGUL for open days so its hard to compare the first to to SGUL, but yes SGUL was the most friendly out of them :smile:
Do you mind me asking about your ethnicity? I read that SGUL has 55% of students who are of non-white ethnivity! My jaw actually dropped when I read that! When I went for the open day it did feel very multi-cultural but not as much as 55% haha :smile: If i go there I swear Ill chase down some Spanish people 'cause i love love love the language! Cause Im cool like that... :cool:
Reply 10
WOW! Effort girl for writing so much :wink:
Yes i totally agree on the mums and dads thing. Hope I get nice parents haha!
Ive had conditional ABB :smile:
Oh so Im guessing youre from around London, if tooting is close to home?
Ive only been to oxford, cambridge and SGUL for open days so its hard to compare the first to to SGUL, but yes SGUL was the most friendly out of them :smile:
Do you mind me asking about your ethnicity? I read that SGUL has 55% of students who are of non-white ethnivity! My jaw actually dropped when I read that! When I went for the open day it did feel very multi-cultural but not as much as 55% haha :smile: If i go there I swear Ill chase down some Spanish people 'cause i love love love the language! Cause Im cool like that... :cool:

hahah :biggrin: that's sort of how i figured that my heart was set on SGUL. when deciding on which uni to firm i had way more good things to say about SGUL than anywhere else & was more enthusiastic talking about the course & uni :P oo nice how was oxbridge?
and yeah i live like just outside of london :smile: what about you?
haha not at all, I am in fact Sri Lankan, but i was born here. so i guess i'll be contributing to that % :P
Original post by Kittt
hahah :biggrin: that's sort of how i figured that my heart was set on SGUL. when deciding on which uni to firm i had way more good things to say about SGUL than anywhere else & was more enthusiastic talking about the course & uni :P oo nice how was oxbridge?
and yeah i live like just outside of london :smile: what about you?
haha not at all, I am in fact Sri Lankan, but i was born here. so i guess i'll be contributing to that % :P

Oxbridge was wow, i mean amazing! Especially Cambridge :wink: People were a bit more stuck up in Oxford, you know 'im better than you as im already studying here, so might aswell pretend to be posh' uhh :/ But apart from that, most of the lecturers were lovely and its just that feeling, that you're in UK's top university :smile:
Ohh im jealous about you livign in London haha! I live in south-west wales, and it took me 3 hours to get to SGUL :/
Ohhh yes of course you will contribute, will be 56% next year :tongue:
Reply 12
Oxbridge was wow, i mean amazing! Especially Cambridge :wink: People were a bit more stuck up in Oxford, you know 'im better than you as im already studying here, so might aswell pretend to be posh' uhh :/ But apart from that, most of the lecturers were lovely and its just that feeling, that you're in UK's top university :smile:
Ohh im jealous about you livign in London haha! I live in south-west wales, and it took me 3 hours to get to SGUL :/
Ohhh yes of course you will contribute, will be 56% next year :tongue:

ahh :smile: oh i'd imagine they'd give off that sort of impression haha :P so did you apply to them? & what other uni's did you apply to?
oo wow wales. you'll defo be applying for accommodation then :P
lmao yep my bad, i'll make it 56% :P
Original post by Kittt
ahh :smile: oh i'd imagine they'd give off that sort of impression haha :P so did you apply to them? & what other uni's did you apply to?
oo wow wales. you'll defo be applying for accommodation then :P
lmao yep my bad, i'll make it 56% :P

Oh god noo... See, we had an organised trip from college to see Oxbridge, and then i thoguht As/A2 is going to be as easy as GCSE, casually predicting myself A*A*A*A* :redface: god how stupid was I :eek: Yeah, it went a bit pear-shaped after my As's and let's just stay that i was 'A BIT' off my prediction haha! I applied for Medicine in southampton, nottingham and east anglia, and then biomed in bradford and SGUL. I love how east anglia rejected me like a day after i applied, and then a week later said: 'we would love to have you doing dentistry in E.A, if you'd like to be considered phone us on.. bladdy bladdy blaah'... i was like: Dentistry my ass. no way. I withdrawn myself from Bradford after my uncle telling my dad that its not very safe (YAY 1 UCAS choice wasted! :angry: ) and SGUL is b etter anyways ! :colone:
Oh yess! How do i even apply for accomodation ?! Not that youre going to... but maybe you have a deeper knowledge of this kinda thing :tongue:
Reply 14
Oh god noo... See, we had an organised trip from college to see Oxbridge, and then i thoguht As/A2 is going to be as easy as GCSE, casually predicting myself A*A*A*A* :redface: god how stupid was I :eek: Yeah, it went a bit pear-shaped after my As's and let's just stay that i was 'A BIT' off my prediction haha! I applied for Medicine in southampton, nottingham and east anglia, and then biomed in bradford and SGUL. I love how east anglia rejected me like a day after i applied, and then a week later said: 'we would love to have you doing dentistry in E.A, if you'd like to be considered phone us on.. bladdy bladdy blaah'... i was like: Dentistry my ass. no way. I withdrawn myself from Bradford after my uncle telling my dad that its not very safe (YAY 1 UCAS choice wasted! :angry: ) and SGUL is b etter anyways ! :colone:
Oh yess! How do i even apply for accomodation ?! Not that youre going to... but maybe you have a deeper knowledge of this kinda thing :tongue:

ooo you're a wannabe medic i see :smile: i am too :smile: but i'm really keen on the biomedical element of things too so i'll have to wait and see what i end up doing in 3 years time :P i didn't apply for med because i felt i'd rather do biomed, than being rejected from all my med choices and being forced to go into clearing and maybe end up doing something im not so keen on for 3 years, at a uni i was never interested in (felt that my AS grades might be considered 'weaker' than those 5A grade people :frown: ) and biomed is something i actually have a lot of interest in so i felt it was the best option for me :biggrin:
woow they wanted you for dentistry! damn. you must've been a good candidate then :P
oh no i am applying for accommodation! i live like 30-40 mins away by car but i wouldnt be driving and taking the train +tube/bus takes much longer so.. cba :P and i think we should get some info regarding it soon :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kittt
ooo you're a wannabe medic i see :smile: i am too :smile: but i'm really keen on the biomedical element of things too so i'll have to wait and see what i end up doing in 3 years time :P i didn't apply for med because i felt i'd rather do biomed, than being rejected from all my med choices and being forced to go into clearing and maybe end up doing something im not so keen on for 3 years, at a uni i was never interested in (felt that my AS grades might be considered 'weaker' than those 5A grade people :frown: ) and biomed is something i actually have a lot of interest in so i felt it was the best option for me :biggrin:
woow they wanted you for dentistry! damn. you must've been a good candidate then :P
oh no i am applying for accommodation! i live like 30-40 mins away by car but i wouldnt be driving and taking the train +tube/bus takes much longer so.. cba :P and i think we should get some info regarding it soon :smile:

haha call me a 'medic wannabe' ! I was actually debating on Radiology as this seems intersting aswell! But the offers are much lower - BBB/BBC (usually) so Im guessing Biomed is more umm challenging (?!) maybe... Oh I see, trust me I wasnt a strong Med candidate either. waaah, i was WEAK! :wink: And Im guessing my PS must have been quite good, becuase of the E.A thing and I was act interviewed by Southampton.. which I failed at miserably! I get too stressed see :l !!! Im just not sure if ill enjoy biomed so much, as i obviously dont mind the microscopy work, but i dont know if its something i wanna do 'till i die basically :redface: OOOH so you are applying for accomodation! SWEET that means you can help me with it :smile: wooo! So its going to be done through UCAS or SGUL will e-mail us directly I wonder ??? I see people on facebook posting things about accomodation all the time i just never thought of asking them about it :tongue:
Reply 16
haha call me a 'medic wannabe' ! I was actually debating on Radiology as this seems intersting aswell! But the offers are much lower - BBB/BBC (usually) so Im guessing Biomed is more umm challenging (?!) maybe... Oh I see, trust me I wasnt a strong Med candidate either. waaah, i was WEAK! :wink: And Im guessing my PS must have been quite good, becuase of the E.A thing and I was act interviewed by Southampton.. which I failed at miserably! I get too stressed see :l !!! Im just not sure if ill enjoy biomed so much, as i obviously dont mind the microscopy work, but i dont know if its something i wanna do 'till i die basically :redface: OOOH so you are applying for accomodation! SWEET that means you can help me with it :smile: wooo! So its going to be done through UCAS or SGUL will e-mail us directly I wonder ??? I see people on facebook posting things about accomodation all the time i just never thought of asking them about it :tongue:

ahh right :smile: what i love about SGUL is the fact that the course seems to be so similar to the MBBS course which i reckon would be useful for people with an interest in medicine :cool:
ooo last time i went to southampton they said they didn't interview o.O but well done on getting an interview at least! :biggrin:
and yeaah i get what you mean! i'd be feeling that way if i ended up having to go into clearing and had to study something like psychology for 3 years :P
i'm assuming its down to SGUL now, seeing as its a more independent thing. but then again, i could be wrong! and lol yeah people going to other unis seem to have accom sorted already! :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by sana_92
Currently doing biomed at SGUL and in my opinion its a really good course + SGUL is an amazing uni! :smile: Good luck with exams :biggrin:

may i ask, what year are you in now? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Kittt
may i ask, what year are you in now? :biggrin:

I'm a first year :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by sana_92
I'm a first year :biggrin:

ooh okay! so we can bombard you with questions :P:rolleyes:
so how have you found this year, both socially and course wise? like, has the content of the course been 'manageable' etc? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest