The Student Room Group

Poll - When is the best time (AM/PM) to sit the UKCAT? [Not Date]

Poll

When is the best time to start the UKCAT?

I think afternoon -- morning I'll literally still be half asleep, evening I'll have over-thought everything too much and probably collapse under my own expectations. A nice early afternoon slot i.e. 2pm-3pm sounds good for me as it lets me have a lie in, have some lunch, do a last minute mock and then go do the real thing.

It'll all depend on if you're a morning or afternoon person. I'm the latter.
I did it in the morning to stop me spending the whole day fretting and I tend to be more awake late morning :smile:
But it really depends on what kind of person you are :smile:
Original post by eco2bottle
Is it bad of me to have read your username is spunky duck?

Haaa, more and more people have said that lately :tongue:
Made the username ages ago and didnt realise it could be misread.. badly :colondollar:
Reply 3
Performance-wise, I think it influences your result very very little. When you're there and facing the test, it will all be down to you, and not the time of the day.

A.K.A. Anytime is fine
Reply 4
to be honest no matter what time you sit this UKCAT your result really has no true reflection of your abilities. When i did it I got 590 (quite poo) but still got three interviews. My friend has taken it twice once he got 610 and another time he got 660. so really just dont over think it!
Reply 5
It doesn't really matter, as long as you drink a can of Redbull before entering the room.
Original post by pingu25
to be honest no matter what time you sit this UKCAT your result really has no true reflection of your abilities. When i did it I got 590 (quite poo) but still got three interviews. My friend has taken it twice once he got 610 and another time he got 660. so really just dont over think it!

Glad someone else agrees that the UKCAT is the biggest pile of **** ever. I fail to see how me not being able to correctly identify whether all of some shapes have right angles or not relates to how I would diagnose a cancer!

One can see patterns without being good at the UKCAT. Shame the medical schools don't see it that way!
Original post by MattKneale
Glad someone else agrees that the UKCAT is the biggest pile of **** ever. I fail to see how me not being able to correctly identify whether all of some shapes have right angles or not relates to how I would diagnose a cancer!

One can see patterns without being good at the UKCAT. Shame the medical schools don't see it that way!

Oh, I don't believe they do see it as a good thing; I think it's rather more of a 'fair' discriminant to weed out some applicants, so admissions people have to give out fewer interviews :colondollar:

The way I see it, it's the easiest way for them to reject hundreds of applicants by having a 'cut-off'. :redface:
I can't believe this thread exists.:giggle: Sit it at whatever time suits you best.
Original post by thegodofgod
Oh, I don't believe they do see it as a good thing; I think it's rather more of a 'fair' discriminant to weed out some applicants, so admissions people have to give out fewer interviews :colondollar:

The way I see it, it's the easiest way for them to reject hundreds of applicants by having a 'cut-off'. :redface:

True, good point, I just wish they did that based on work experience, personal statements and references instead! I know these factors are still important but I feel more confident with those than I do with the UKCAT lol
Reply 10
Simple point, In the afternoon/evening, its a known fact that the brain is not fully functioning in the morning.
Original post by eco2bottle
Just wondering when people think is the best time to book the UKCAT, morning, afternoon or evening?

Poll refers to the start times available on the UKCAT website when booking.

[earliest time I've seen is 0800 and latest time I've seen is 1800]

Depends on the kind of person you are. Being alert is important to answer the questions as quickly and accurately as possible so if you are an alert morning person do it earlier and vice versa :smile:
Reply 12
I think both times I've done it it has been in the morning (around 11 oclock). It doesn't really matter what time of day it is, it just matters what time you wake up. There's no point in booking it for 9 am when you only went to bed at 3. Likewise, there'd be no point in booking it for the evening if you woke up like 6 am ish (the reason being that your 'sleepiness', or rather the levels of the chemical that makes you sleepy (can't remember the name atm, we covered it last year) increases from the time you wake up.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Whenever suits you, if you like doing exams in the morning, then in the morning or vice versa for the afternoon. I got 780 and did it first thing in the morning because I was having treatment for something at the time and my mid afternoon I was either off my face on morphine or if not, in agony. Do it whenever you like, just don't panic.
Reply 14
Im not a very morning person. But, iv found i always do better in morning exams. So id recommend that. It really doesnt matter though.

Quick Reply