Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by PrinceUpsb
For UMS:

90% = A*
80% = A
70% = B

and so on... always.

I'm aware but the actual UMS score changes depending on different grade boundaries & raw marks.
Reply 141
Original post by JDee
I'm aware but the actual UMS score changes depending on different grade boundaries & raw marks.

To get a B overall = 210 UMS
He already has 127 UMS.
210-127= 83 UMS required on this paper for him to get a B overall.

84/120 =70% therefore this is a B grade. Regardless of raw marks.
I am speaking just of UMS.
He asked 'if I get a C on this paper will I get a B overall'- the answer is yes as he could get 83/120 (69.1%) which would be a C grade, on this paper, and still get a B overall.

See below for original quotes:
Original post by charliehavana

I really want to get a B in maths overall, but if I get a C on this paper, will I still manage to scrape a B, do you think? I have 127 "points" overall, a B for Unit 1 and a B for Unit 2.

To get a B overall you need 83/120 marks on this paper. 84/120 marks is the lowest B you can get, so if you were to get a C on this paper it is unlikely you would get a B overall. If you get a B or higher on this paper you will definitely get a B overall :smile:
To get a B overall = 210 UMS
He already has 127 UMS.
210-127= 83 UMS required on this paper for him to get a B overall.

84/120 =70% therefore this is a B grade. Regardless of raw marks.
I am speaking just of UMS.
He asked 'if I get a C on this paper will I get a B overall'- the answer is yes as he could get 83/120 (69.1%) which would be a C grade, on this paper, and still get a B overall.

See below for original quotes:

So, if I get a (really) high C, I could still get a B overall? (Sorry, I don't quite understand the UMS points part!)

I'm pretty sure I could get a B on this...the more I think about the exam, the more it worries me hahah :') I presume it would need to be only a couple of marks off of a B to still get the overall B?

Sorry for all the questions! Also, I'm a "she" :P
Reply 143
So, if I get a (really) high C, I could still get a B overall? (Sorry, I don't quite understand the UMS points part!)

I'm pretty sure I could get a B on this...the more I think about the exam, the more it worries me hahah :') I presume it would need to be only a couple of marks off of a B to still get the overall B?

Sorry for all the questions! Also, I'm a "she" :P

Sorry for the gender mixup!

Basically, yes, it is possible for you to get a C on this and end up with a B overall. I can't tell you how many marks as I don't know how the raw marks/ UMS correlates, but I would probably guess you can only be either 1 or 2 marks below a B. If you get a B or higher on this then you will guaranteed get a B overall
Sorry for the gender mixup!

Basically, yes, it is possible for you to get a C on this and end up with a B overall. I can't tell you how many marks as I don't know how the raw marks/ UMS correlates, but I would probably guess you can only be either 1 or 2 marks below a B. If you get a B or higher on this then you will guaranteed get a B overall

Ah, got it. Thanks ever so much! Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 145
Ah, got it. Thanks ever so much! Fingers crossed :smile:

To make things fair regardless of the difficulty of the paper, exam boards convert your raw marks into a 'UMS' mark. This means that someone taking a really hard test may only get 50/80 marks, whereas someone the following year may take an easy test and end up with 60/80 marks. If everyone sitting it finds it 'generally' easy, the raw marks to UMS conversion will be lowered. This means that both people would receive 100/120 UMS, for example.

The actual paper is out of 80 total raw marks.
This test has a total maximum possible UMS of 120.
Depending on how hard the paper was found by students, raw marks will be converted to UMS.
These grade boundaries are not released until day before results day, but on TSR there have been a few suggestions of possible grade boundaries...

66/80 - 108/120 (A*)
52/80 - 96/120 (A)
41/80 - 84/120 (B)
33/80 - 72/120 (C)

As I said before, you need 83/120 (or more) on this paper to get a B overall.
84/120 UMS marks is a B grade, meaning that 83/120 is the highest mark for a C grade. So, if you get a very high C grade it is possible for a B overall.

As I said before, you need 83/120 (or more) on this paper to get a B overall.
84/120 UMS marks is a B grade, meaning that 83/120 is the highest mark for a C grade. So, if you get a very high C grade it is possible for a B overall.

Oh, I see! Teachers talk about grade boundaries being higher or lower :smile:

I did count through my paper once I'd finished what I could, and marked myself on what I could get (I know it's not accurate, of course!), or taking away marks/partial marks for questions I didn't answer or understand, and I remember giving myself 40-43/80. Of course it will probably be different when marked by the board, it's just a habit of mine.

Hopefully it'll be enough. Thankyou for your help! :smile:
Reply 147
hello all i am a teacher so if u have any questions on ums i may be able to help.

someone put up mark scheme but left out feq questions1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
Hello, can anyone upload the actual paper, please? Thanks.
Original post by naz2you
hello all i am a teacher so if u have any questions on ums i may be able to help.

Hello, i would like to you to see if these could be correct.
Question 1: (x and y perimeter)
2x=5y

2:2x+2y = perimeter

3:total perimeter as x and y =14x because of subsitution. i multiplied all sides by 5, subsituted in 2x for 5y and added them together 5x+5x+2x+2x=14x
if you can check this i would be grateful
Reply 150
Original post by naz2you

Pm:smile:
Reply 151
2026.doc2600.pdf

i have attached the paper in pdf and ums guidlines.
hope this help
Reply 152
Original post by naz2you
2026.doc2600.pdf

hope this help

Thanks so much for this! Great!

Do you know what the answer is to (4)? I got 24 but someone said it's 48.

Cheers!
Reply 153
Original post by JDee
Thanks so much for this! Great!

Do you know what the answer is to (4)? I got 24 but someone said it's 48.

Cheers!

Reply 154
Do you know what the answer is to Q5 ? ((:

Thanks
You absolute STAR! Have you got the foundation paper too by any chance?

Original post by naz2you
2026.doc2600.pdf

hope this help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending