The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Kate.
Are any of the holes blocked, so it might not be getting properly sealed?

:fyi:I find if any holes are blocked in mine, I use an inter-dental stick to clean them out. They work a treat :yes:

(Obviously, I don't use this one for my teeth, it's exclusively for my cups) :ninja:
Ive used my cup now for a year/2 years and its a dream

However, just wondering if anyone else suffers from.....wind :colondollar: or a bubbly feeling? I dont even know where the feeling is exactly, kind of just down there in the general area

I think its from all the suction caused :biggrin: etc....sounds much much worse than it actually is

And also I get achy towards the end of my 5days, like dull sickly aches so as soon as the worst is over I take it out usually and wear a light pad. Anyone else find this?
Mooncup hell :sad:

I've been on a very light period for over a month now (thanks to the pill) and it's been great, I just emptied the mooncup morning and evening and the rest of the time I could forget about it. However this week I'm on my break from the pill so my period is a lot heavier. I can't seem to stop the mooncup from leaking! This doesn't usually happen :s-smilie: My period is really heavy, heavier than it usually is, but that shouldn't be the issue as when I empty the cup every few hours it is usually about half full so shouldn't be leaking yet. I've had to start wearing pads as well which kind of defeats the point of the mooncup!
P.S. I make sure the holes are clear. I've read that it shouldn't be too high in the vagina, so I try to insert it low down, but it always moves up - I can't seem to create a seal when my period is heavier.
How do you deal with emptying and rinsing the moodcup whilst at work? I'm sure other women in the loos don't want to see you washing your blood down the sink and also touching something that has been down there.
Take a bottle of water to rinse it, wipe it out with some loo roll, and make sure blood goes down the loo.
Original post by Sephrenia
Take a bottle of water to rinse it, wipe it out with some loo roll, and make sure blood goes down the loo.

If you rinse it with a bottle of water down the loo, aren't you worried about loo water splashing rightback at your mooncup and hands?

For me I'd prefer to rinse it in the sink but just a little bit concerned that it's not socially acceptable. I suppose wiping it with tissue before hand would make it more acceptable to then rinse it in the sink?
Reply 827
Never even heard of these! Completely suprised and curious..I hated using tampons when I used to have periods...don't have any periods now due to the implant. If I get it removed I'm defoes trying this!
I can't say I am... It's never happened to me... Or you can just wipe it out with loo roll and it'll do the job till you get home.
Original post by babygirl110
How do you deal with emptying and rinsing the moodcup whilst at work? I'm sure other women in the loos don't want to see you washing your blood down the sink and also touching something that has been down there.

I change mine in the shower in the morning before work and at night before I go to bed so no need to worry about it whilst at work xx
Any experiences or advice with using the mooncup with an IUD or IUS fitted. Just had one fitted (nova t 380) and the leaflet the Dr gave me said to wait 6 weeks to use tampons... I'm going to be using pads for the first couple of periods (ugh) but going back to my mooncup I've been using for the last 5 years or so after. Anyone had any problems at all?
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Any experiences or advice with using the mooncup with an IUD or IUS fitted. Just had one fitted (nova t 380) and the leaflet the Dr gave me said to wait 6 weeks to use tampons... I'm going to be using pads for the first couple of periods (ugh) but going back to my mooncup I've been using for the last 5 years or so after. Anyone had any problems at all?

Hi, I use a divacup and I have an IUD.

I asked the lady who fitted my IUD and she said she couldn't see a problem with it. I was never told to wait to use tampons, so I didn't wait to use my cup either! I has my IUD fitted on the 1st day of my period, and didn't use my cup for that period because I was too sore - but I used it the 1st period I had after fitting, and have done ever since.

I think the difference might be because I have a gynefix though - that is the frameless iud which they attach to the top of your uterus. It is less likely to expel, so that might be why it doesn't come with the 6 week warning.

Apart from occasionally 'poking' my boyfriend when he isn't expecting it (usually when my cervix is low just before my period) the IUD has been great for me, so I hope it goes well for you, too :smile:
I left my mooncup in the sterilising fluid a bit too long (about 24hrs though I've left it in this time before) and now it's all sticky :frown: Has this happened to anyone else before? Will boiling help?
Original post by Anonymous
I left my mooncup in the sterilising fluid a bit too long (about 24hrs though I've left it in this time before) and now it's all sticky :frown: Has this happened to anyone else before? Will boiling help?

I've accidentally left mine for a week before, I left it in clear water and changed it twice a day for a week, then I re sterilised it. It was fine after that, but just a slight different colour :-)
I bought a mooncup 2 periods ago and it is the best £20 I have ever spent. It's absolutely amazing. No leaking. No need for pads. I've been swimming, to the gym, playing sports and not a drop leaked. No discomfort, only need to empty it morning and night and forget about it completely the rest of the time, it's fantastic! I used to use tampons combined with a pantyliner as they'd sometimes still leak a little but this is so much better and no risk of TSS. I also used to dread my periods and always run 3 packs of pill together but now it doesn't bother me, it's so little effort that I don't really mind at all.

I would definitely recommend anyone sitting on the fence to get one, absolutely fantastic. :biggrin:
Just bumping this as I've seen a fair few individual threads from people who don't realise this is here.

Out of interest... has anyone else used their mooncup post sex to minimise mess? lol
Reply 836

Out of interest... has anyone else used their mooncup post sex to minimise mess? lol

I've heard of people using one after sex to help get pregnant

Sent from my GT-S5363
Just bumping this as I've seen a fair few individual threads from people who don't realise this is here.

Yes. Its fab. Another brownie point for my Lunette cups :biggrin:
I'm sure there's another thread because I've posted in one and my posts aren't here.. but never mind. I've done 4 months with mine now, and I love it! I still don't completely trust it, and have to use a pad at the same time, but it's never let me down majorly (sometimes a little bit of a leak, but no disasters) and it's much much better using a pad for the heaviest day with the MC (don't need for any other days as I trust the MC enough) than having to use about 4 pads and 8 tampons every day!
Reply 839
I JUST GOT ONE OF THESE thank goodness there are other people using them

Quick Reply

Latest