The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LSE has an international reputation for law. It is often regarded by US firms as being equal to Oxbridge - though not by all. KCL and UCL are also popular but I guess LSE is the strongest probably because of its powerful brand name.
Reply 2
kabir
LSE has an international reputation for law. It is often regarded by US firms as being equal to Oxbridge - though not by all. KCL and UCL are also popular but I guess LSE is the strongest probably because of its powerful brand name.

KCL has a very strong law department though.
kabir

Fair enough. But inside the UK LSE, is ,for a lot of people, pretty close to being a hate object: so watch out now for impeccably argued posts in response that deny what you have said above: ie 'the milkman/my cousin has never heard of LSE so therefore it doesn't have an international reputation/a powerful brand name...'

The difference between British attitudes to LSE and everybody else in the world is best illustrated by fiction. In the American political drama, the West Wing, the President is an LSE grad: he is a Little White House on the Prairie caricature of everything a US President is supposed to be: honest, religious, deeply intellectual, haunted by destiny..In Yes Prime Minister, the British comedy drama of the 1980s, the prime minister is an LSE graduate: he is a bumbling mediocrity, surrounded by clever Oxbridge civil servants...One depiction is, to put it mildly, over the top in its optimism, the other is sly, smart-arse and deeply smug (welcome to modern Britain). I know which one I prefer, however...

So there you have it: and they criticise LSE for preferring overseas students...
Reply 4
Ive read a lot on these boards about the 'magic circle' firms and their bias towards oxbridge and the elite london colleges, do they take on any graduates from any other prestigious unis? say edinburgh, durham etc.
Reply 5
an Siarach
Ive read a lot on these boards about the 'magic circle' firms and their bias towards oxbridge and the elite london colleges, do they take on any graduates from any other prestigious unis? say edinburgh, durham etc.

I went to Newcastle (not for law however) and had interviews at MC and US firms. Their is a slight Oxbridge bias (more than slight in the case of Slaughter & May) but other than that, you should be fine if you went to a Top-20 uni and have good grades throughout your studies i.e. a 2:1.
Reply 6
UCL.. top 5 at least in all rankings.. and ranked 20 in world (if you believe in such things)

Excellent for law

Anyone disagree and can back their point?
Reply 7
Totally (agree that is). I would say LSE, KCL and UCL are pretty much on an even keel internationally because they are all University of London. I kind of wished now I had applied to LSE and KCL, but I thought I should choose more insurance choices in case I didn't get good offers.. oh, the benefit of hindsight! Not that I'd have got in. None of them like mature students very much unfortunately. sigh. Not that I'd have got in at 18 either!
Reply 8
Newcastle university.. you can forget all others.lol
Reply 9
nunoid
Totally (agree that is). I would say LSE, KCL and UCL are pretty much on an even keel internationally because they are all University of London. I kind of wished now I had applied to LSE and KCL, but I thought I should choose more insurance choices in case I didn't get good offers.. oh, the benefit of hindsight! Not that I'd have got in. None of them like mature students very much unfortunately. sigh. Not that I'd have got in at 18 either!

What you're saying is simply not true. There is no way that each of those institutions are just as well known abroad. Nobody has even heard of UCL outside of this country, that is unless they've had some direct involvement with British Higher Education. Being a part of the Univ. of London does not mean all that much on its own, LSE and Imperial students do not even bother using the U of L 'brand'. Overall, people from the weaker colleges, such as Queen Marry's emphasise that they're at the U of L, aside from that there's little relevance. It's quite unlike being at Oxbridge, the colleges in London are almost entirely independent.
Reply 10
What you're saying is simply not true. There is no way that each of those institutions are just as well known abroad. Nobody has even heard of UCL outside of this country, that is unless they've had some direct involvement with British Higher Education. Being a part of the Univ. of London does not mean all that much on its own, LSE and Imperial students do not even bother using the U of L 'brand'. Overall, people from the weaker colleges, such as Queen Marry's emphasise that they're at the U of L, aside from that there's little relevance. It's quite unlike being at Oxbridge, the colleges in London are almost entirely independent.

finally! someone who agrees that UCL is not as well known as LSE and KCL (LSE being up a notch) overseas! not saying that UCL is not as good, but surprisingly, not as well known, IMHO
Reply 11
Hahaha, all i know is that UCl is a gr8 university.. and in the UK is regarded as just as good.. if not then maybe a tad lower than LSE for some subjects. So why does it all matter..??? Seriously.. if ur lucky enough to goto UCl or LSE, its all good. (lets face it,, a key factor to LSE being so well know internationally, tho not the only one, is that most of their students are international)

About Kings.. hmmm. I shallnt bother.

Congrats to all those going to UCL and LSE, regardless of recognition.. besides, reputation and recognition itself will never secure ANY job. Its the individual that counts.

; P
Reply 12
Wings
UCL.. top 5 at least in all rankings..
Anyone disagree and can back their point?

That sounds like an invitation...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,32607,00.html

http://www.education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004/table/0,14557,1222167,00.html

And since when has UCL ever been higher than 5th?
Reply 13
http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinespecials/education/law.html

Hahhaahaha.. u have to be pretty petty to persist.

Im just saying theyre ALL brilliant uni's

Disagree if u must, but be aware your opinion is only shared by a small majority... if u agree.. then just RELAX.

; P
Reply 14
Wings
http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinespecials/education/law.html

Hahhaahaha.. u have to be pretty petty to persist.

Im just saying theyre ALL brilliant uni's

Disagree if u must, but be aware your opinion is only shared by a small majority... if u agree.. then just RELAX.

; P

Sorry, was too tempting to resist! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to the Times' 2003 league table when UCL was 11th. Also, that Law table is out of date...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13425,00.html :biggrin:
Reply 15
lol.. just making a point. The other point is that Uni's fluctuate in places all the time. LSE shudnt have got 7th for law.. theyre much better.. but c'est la vie. Im off for a few drinks as ive just finished my exams today. Have a gd day m8 :smile:
Reply 16
Wings
lol.. just making a point. The other point is that Uni's fluctuate in places all the time. LSE shudnt have got 7th for law.. theyre much better.. but c'est la vie. Im off for a few drinks as ive just finished my exams today. Have a gd day m8 :smile:

Have fun! :smile:
Reply 17
UCL IS a great university. Theres no doubt about that. Its just, very surprisingly, not as well known internationally as LSE, KCL and IC.

you seem to have something against kings anyway. very common - ucl people have been bashing kcl for ages. that doesn't ruin their international reputation though.

Latest

Trending

Trending