The Student Room Group

Changing schools at the end of AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anyone? lol. :wink:
Reply 41
Waste of time and stressful. No point in changing schools when it's only 2 years until you have finished college.
D00
Waste of time and stressful. No point in changing schools when it's only 2 years until you have finished college.

I agree that it is really stressful, but in my postition it isn't a waste of time, it is the only way I can get 3A2's because my 6thform in my school only offers AS psychology and I failed AS chemistry so unfortunately I start at my new college on Monday *sigh*
Reply 43
I'm changing sixth-forms too! I start at my new college Thursday, it is definitely quite stressful but as long as you have the right grades, are nice to the interviewer and are organized with your application, it's not that difficult to do.

However you must make sure that you can transfer credit across syllabuses/ exam boards, preferably before you even apply.

From my experience as soon as you hand in the form at your previous sixth-form for them to add a reference, you have to be prepared for the fact that some teachers may try to make life difficult for you. You almost certainly will not be able to change your mind once you have begun the application process.
Reply 44
Please can someone take a look at my post in the AS/A2 forum about results when switching sixth forms. I have a major dilem concerning the AS results and resits at a new centre.
Reply 45
I looked at changing schools after my AS's because there was a huge mistake made with one of my maths modules (basically we had 5 hours of teaching for core 4 the saturday before the exam - ended up getting 40% amazingly). It got a bit ugly between my dad, my maths teacher and the head and I thought moving school would make things so much better. I also wanted to change to the local grammar school because they would obviously be better at teaching further maths then my school seeing as though this was the first year they have done it. But when I rang up a couple of other schools because the majority of the exam boards where different they refused point blank to take me. No one mentioned JQA! Damn it!
The content of the first post of this thread has been added to TSR Wiki at: A Guide to Changing Schools at the End of AS Year.

Anyone can edit or add to the page.

If you would like help with wiki editing, use the 'editing help' page or ask for assistance in the Wiki forum.
I've recently also moved away from my mother and into my Dad's house, however he wants me to change sixth form as mine would involve 2hrs travel a day. I'm in my first year of AS levels... would changing now, four months before exams, be absolutely awful? I'm aiming for all A's and I'm so driven to get them, I don't want something like this affecting my chances but he cannot afford to pay for the travel and so if not it might not be possible I can move away.
Reply 48
her-own-wings
I've recently also moved away from my mother and into my Dad's house, however he wants me to change sixth form as mine would involve 2hrs travel a day. I'm in my first year of AS levels... would changing now, four months before exams, be absolutely awful? I'm aiming for all A's and I'm so driven to get them, I don't want something like this affecting my chances but he cannot afford to pay for the travel and so if not it might not be possible I can move away.

All you can do really is ring up sixth forms and colleges in the area that you are moving to. Then hope that one of them will do similar exam boards to your current school so you don't have to relearn too much and also that they will let you join halfway through the year. Good luck :smile:
Reply 49
The wiki page is now remarkably more complete than the first post in this thread - any chance of it being pasted into the first post?
Gah!

We have a problem!

We've somehow managed to get two pages on the wiki covering this topic - they are very similar, but both have been heavily edited in different ways over the last 24 hours :frown:

The first is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Guide_to_Changing_Schools_at_the_End_of_AS_Year

The second here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Changing_schools_at_the_end_of_AS

So, does anyone feel ale to have a go a merging all the content suitably on to one page? Then I can take a look at things and redirect the other page and sort out any links etc. I can also look at sorting out the link in the first post here and see if we can get a link to the completed article in the 'useful resources' section for this forum :smile:
Reply 51
This one is a less hyperbolic version of my edits on the other page. :wink: There's little new in that version, it is just more condensed..
Reply 52
I changed schools at the end of GCSEs and also at the end of AS levels and academically it so was not worth it - I should have gained AAA at A level and let me tell you, I didn't. I didn't do badly in the scale of things but I did badly for me. Personally though on a social level it was fantastic. I think you need to balance up whether the disruption and inconsistency with concerns to teaching etc is worth what you will gain in other areas. I'm not sure if I would make the same choice again.
Reply 53
Hmmmm...I'm leaving sixth-form and going to college but I've decided to just restart my As again considering I'm way below my predicted grades plus my teachers are so helpfull...not.

Is that a bad idea if I apply to uni? What if I explain my resons?
Reply 54
I have also come to the decision that I am changing 6th form but I will be doing the AS year again with new subjects. This would not be detrimental to my uni prospects would it? (top 20)
How do you guys find it, changing colleges after AS?
I regret not going to a college that most of my friends went to and I'm stuck at a really crap college and I'm dying to change colleges! The problem is none of the exam boards are the same :/ Any advice?
Reply 56
Original post by HelloGoodbye
How do you guys find it, changing colleges after AS?
I regret not going to a college that most of my friends went to and I'm stuck at a really crap college and I'm dying to change colleges! The problem is none of the exam boards are the same :/ Any advice?

Find out for certain which boards you are doing and which boards the college does.
Look at the link
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams_office/entries/gceentryinformationincltransferofcredit/
and open the second document. P20 onwards of it lists the permissible transfers between exam boards. If what you want to do isn't mentioned then it means no one's asked to do it yet and so they haven't decided - you just need to get your exams officer to ask. That should allow you to see how disruptive moving would be.

The OP said that it's not possible to re-sit AS papers after you have transferred. That is not correct, you can re-sit papers on your original board as long as you tell the new board you are going to do it - they just re-transfer across after your new result is published.
Reply 57
Im thinking about changing sixth forms, due to the fact that im moving houses and bored with my current a-levels. Im also thinking about redoing year 12, dunno yet.
Reply 58
(Gosh, this thread is old!)

I'm thinking about changing colleges/sixth forms after AS, though I don't know if I'm too late for it now...:s-smilie: I really dislike my current college: though I have little to compare it to, the teaching is, for the most part, pretty poor, and barely anyone comes out of the place with A's. (Apparently there has been no A grades awarded to English Literature students in over four years!) As well as this, the lack of choice when it comes to A Levels has really put me off. The only language you can take is French, and even that looks like it's going to be phased out next year...

Anyway, there's this sixth form nearby-ish, that's extremely respected and offers an incredible range of A Levels. I'm presuming that the teaching there is better, as many of its students who go on to Oxbridge. My question is, should I go there? It's just that I'm really unhappy at my college, and though I don't know if I'll be any happier at the sixth form, I think I'll get a much better standard of teaching.
Original post by Ra Ra
(Gosh, this thread is old!)

I'm thinking about changing colleges/sixth forms after AS, though I don't know if I'm too late for it now...:s-smilie: I really dislike my current college: though I have little to compare it to, the teaching is, for the most part, pretty poor, and barely anyone comes out of the place with A's. (Apparently there has been no A grades awarded to English Literature students in over four years!) As well as this, the lack of choice when it comes to A Levels has really put me off. The only language you can take is French, and even that looks like it's going to be phased out next year...

Anyway, there's this sixth form nearby-ish, that's extremely respected and offers an incredible range of A Levels. I'm presuming that the teaching there is better, as many of its students who go on to Oxbridge. My question is, should I go there? It's just that I'm really unhappy at my college, and though I don't know if I'll be any happier at the sixth form, I think I'll get a much better standard of teaching.

Well you could contact them, to ask if it's not too late and just go on from there.

On the issue of whether or not you'll enjoy it, do you have any friends that went to the sixth form... maybe you could ask them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending