The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Basically, a UCAS card is just a discount card. It can't be used as ID, and it doesn't certify your membership to the National Union of Students.

An NUS Extra card is proof of your membership to the NUS, gets you more discounts (I think) than the UCAS card and it can be used as photo ID in some places both here and abroad.

Not too sure about the NUS Associate card, I've only got the NUS Extra card, which seems to be the better one. The UCAS card seems kind of lame in comparison.
I have a NUS Extra card u can use it for discount in more places i believe!
Reply 3
I thought you had to be a student at uni to get an Extra card and sixth formers just get the Associate card? And the UCAS card is for year 12/13s I think. Most shops just go "oh it's a student card" even if they're not on the list of places NUS specify.
Reply 4
ucas card is free though, so you might as well get that and whichever NUS ones you can get!
Reply 5
is there any way to find out your school's UCAS number online? we have been told to apply for a UCAS card for the discounts etc, and it supposedly makes the application process easier later in the year, but my form tutor didn't tell me the school's UCAS number. sorry for hijacking the thread by the way OP.
Ah thanks, I had to go for the NUS card in the end. I tried to get a NUS Extra card which looked awesome but my school wasn't registered :frown:

There was a thread on this before, apologies for not looking before I posted.
Reply 7
I have an NUS Extra card and a UCAS card, both through my 6th form college.

I use the NUS as ID, and both as discounts :biggrin: hehe I also use my student ID as discount as it has a barcode and most places prefer it!

G xx
Reply 8
Can you use both cards for one transaction i.e double the discount lol ?
Reply 9
I already got my UCAS card as I will be going into 6th form come september. Yet I don't even know where I'm going for sure. Its summer hols now so just tick the boxes showing that you aren't in education yet. As for my NUS Extra card: I'm waiting until term starts
how to apply nus and ucas card

Latest

Trending

Trending