The Student Room Group

After LLB, how easy is it to become barrister?

I'm a Mauritian aiming for law in a good uni. After 3 years in the LLB, is it possible to get pupillage in the UK as an international student? How easy is it and is it costly? I may study in a top uni but then following my LLB does my nationality become an issue to successfully land a good job? Does anyone know what are the chances exactly of an international student being admitted to the UK bar or get to work for a top london law firm ?? Or will I have to return to my my home country after my degree..Any chance of staying in the UK to work on a long term basis???

Thanks
Reply 1
After the LLB you have to do the BVC for one year, and then it's pupillage. The BVC isn't too competitive, but pupillage is (far more applicants than jobs). Nationality isn't an issue so long as you have a good command of english and are in the country legally :p: So after studying here on a student visa you would then have to apply for either a work visa or residency. As for law firms, same applies: LPC for one year then trainng contract. Perhaps not as competitive as the bar as there are more jobs out there, but very competitive for the top (magic circle) firms. Nationality is not an issue so long as you have a good command of English and are here legally :smile:
notoriously hard.
Reply 3
I'm in a similar position. The key to not having wasted your 3 years/tuition is to plan ahead, to ensure you can remain here legally following completion of LLB/BVC. You get two years' worth of post-study visas--provided you can earn a respectable amount in that period, you can then transition to a longer-term scheme and eventually get citizenship/residency. It is by no means easy, though.

With regard to the impact of being foreign on the pupillage proccess, this is very much a wildcard for me. English is presumably your native language alongside French, so you should be sure to play up the advantages of having an international background/greater linguistic aptitude. The barristers and judges to whom I've spoken on this very issue generally seem to take a very pragmatic attitude--essentially, if your english skills are coupled with an understandable accent, you shouldn't be disadvantaged. In practice, I would expect that come pupillage interview season, I will lose out on a few pupillages due to personal prejudices of panel members, but probably also get an edge at other sets due to being more memorable (for better or for worse...) and generally being able to 'sell' the advantages of foreign provenance. Ultimately, these are suppositions and only time will tell...
Reply 4
thanks very much for ur replies.. but how much will it cost to finally do the BCV? and how many years does it take to complete BVC in UK? I wud like to get some good experience n contacts here and then return in my country to work in the very top chambers or open one myself..
Reply 5
YMLSTAR
thanks very much for ur replies.. but how much will it cost to finally do the BCV? and how many years does it take to complete BVC in UK? I wud like to get some good experience n contacts here and then return in my country to work in the very top chambers or open one myself..

The BVC takes a year, and is currently aroun £9000-£11,000 depending upon where you do it, but the price goes up just about every year.
Reply 6
Ok.. but what if I do the degree here in my country via the university of london external system distance learning... then I do the BVC.. will that be equivalent than someone doing a course say at UCL then doing his BVC?? I may save money in that case..
Reply 7
YMLSTAR
Ok.. but what if I do the degree here in my country via the university of london external system distance learning... then I do the BVC.. will that be equivalent than someone doing a course say at UCL then doing his BVC?? I may save money in that case..

So long as the degree you do is a qualifying law degree, that's fine, although some chambers don't view distance learning degrees as equal to a standard degree (some places don't think they are as good as, say, a degree studied for at UCL).
Reply 8
I can't speak as to your home country's chambers' application evaluation criteria, but I would be highly suspect of a distance learning degree vis a vis traditional ones.

The BVC now costs up to 14,000 at the top provider.
Reply 9
is it easy to get a place for BVC? if u r international n study at ucl or lse for eg?
Reply 10
Evil_Genius
I can't speak as to your home country's chambers' application evaluation criteria, but I would be highly suspect of a distance learning degree vis a vis traditional ones.

There isn't a "top" provider- they are all equally good.

the BVC isn't too competitive, so long as you get at least a 2.ii in your degree. However it is changing next year so that there is an extra legal skills test to weed out those who would never get a pupillage for being too useless.
Reply 11
YMLSTAR
is it easy to get a place for BVC? if u r international n study at ucl or lse for eg?

The BVC is just, in a sense, an extension of your legal education. There are many, many places where you can attain this qualification and so it is easy enough to get a place providing you have a good degree classification (2:1) and a good command of english.

As has been stressed here already though, it is the pupillages which are the most difficult thing to attain because there are so many applicants. Regarding the BVC, however, you would have no trouble at all getting a place whatever uni you come from.

I wouldn't advise the distant learning course...they do tend to be viewed somewhat suspiciously by firms and may limit the opportunities available to you, you will also be at a massive disadvantage concerning the fact that you will miss out on a lot of networking.
Yes, I have no doubt that the quality of barristerial talent and teaching methods at the University of West of England is simply stellar.
Reply 13
Ok.. suppose I do my pupillages in my own country and do the BVC here? Is that possible? My wish in the end is to have this English degree that gives me opportunities to work in UK too, at least for some time before returning to my home country..
Reply 14
Evil_Genius

If looking to pursue the BVC in Central London the OP should also consider rental/living costs when planning ahead.

My ultimate "figure" for BVC year is in the terrifying region of £25,000*.
(*Pre potential scholarship / parental support / loans / begging)
Why not watch that lovely BBC programme about it. It'll tell you all you need to know in the first ep.

FYI: Really quite hard.
Reply 16
rental costs will be ok.. i have my uncle who is a British.. and he said he would readily accommodate me.. nice from him :wink:
But without a scholarship, still it will b costly.. a huge turnoff really...
anyway thanks all for ur advice n information.. really helped me to plan ahead..

Latest

Trending

Trending