The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
More pints? more pie? more sandwiches?
Powerlifter
More pints? more pie? more sandwiches?

I think he meant lift more bull **** out of his brain and onto the internet :wink2:
Reply 22
Ace post.

What do you reckon for programming? Sets: reps?

For those unable to do pulls, chins and dips - most commercial gyms will have assistance machines, otherwise grab a mate or sibling to support/hold you.

I would say that there is a place for some traditional cardio (LISS) as aerobic conditioning over a sustained period is beneficial to all-round fitness. Plus, anecdotally, there's nothing wrong with keeping your body guessing.
In my experience Rainy, becoming a better presser/rower/deadlifter will have massive carryover into dips and chinups. And those first three are much easier to load for a beginner. Once you can do enough to warrant a work set, you can start training the movement as a main exercise IMO
I like the advice on this thread, but one thing that puts me off working out is I have no clue what any of Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Pressing, Rowing, Curls, Close Pressing, pulls chins and dips are?
Is there a FAQ on here somewhere with info on how to do each?
Reply 25
Rainy
Ace post.

1: What do you reckon for programming? Sets: reps?

2: For those unable to do pulls, chins and dips - most commercial gyms will have assistance machines, otherwise grab a mate or sibling to support/hold you.

3: I would say that there is a place for some traditional cardio (LISS) as aerobic conditioning over a sustained period is beneficial to all-round fitness. Plus, anecdotally, there's nothing wrong with keeping your body guessing.

1: I would say as a general rule of thumb 3 working sets of 8 reps would be optimal (same weight each set).
For a lass i would probably reccomend 2 x HIIT sessions 2 x resistance sessions, something like this

1: Squats 3 x 8
Overhead Press 3 x 8
Close Grip Bench/French Press 3 x8

2: Deadlifts/Romanian or straight leg variants fine too 3 x 8
One Arm Row 3 x 8
Barbell Curl 3 x 8

Coupled with HIIT and a good diet that will be more than enough for those going after the 'toned' look, we are not talking about power training really here.

2: Agreed, although I think it best to stick with freeweights until they are strong enough to perform them normal style

3: Agreed, once they are fitter it would be a good inclusion for 'general' health
Reply 26
I don't disagree - but, as accessory lifts, some stimulus is possibly better than no stimulus until able to perform the true working set.
Reply 27
Powerlifter
What info?

Everything in your OP!

What you have told us is opinion, not fact!!!
Nasher and Basher
Ooh, what are the best ways to do the HIIT programme ?

I used to do triathlon til i got injured. It's awesome. So now i use that as the basis for HIIT- using swim one day, then cycle the next then run the day after that. Seems to do the job.
thnx sexy xxx
Reply 30
Rainy
I don't disagree - but, as accessory lifts, some stimulus is possibly better than no stimulus until able to perform the true working set.

Thier lats,biceps and shoulders will be getting stimulus though though the freeweight stuff, same way I was able to do them, just ried one day after lifting weights and was swole at them
Reply 31
h82think
Everything in your OP!

Care to advise how or what info you find to be based with no factual evidence to support it's claims? I will happily discuss it with you
Reply 32
h82think
Everything in your OP!

What bit would you say is an opinion? And more-so, by your implication, a wrong opinion?
Powerlifter

If you are already slim

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught.

This meee pretty much :/ i'm 5'4 and 123lbs
I don't have a majorly bad diet, but i do have a serious sweet tooth meaning i have a few 'flabby bits' (but shh don't tell anyone :tongue: lol). I've danced mostly all my life so my leg muscles are goood but i am seriously lacking in stomach and arm muscles!
So should i being doing HIIT and Resistance training then?
I'd be really grateful if you could recommend some specific things for me to do to help me improve, if you don't mind :smile:
Thankyouu
Reply 34
emmerlie-jay
This meee pretty much :/ i'm 5'4 and 123lbs
I don't have a majorly bad diet, but i do have a serious sweet tooth meaning i have a few 'flabby bits' (but shh don't tell anyone :tongue: lol). I've danced mostly all my life so my leg muscles are goood but i am seriously lacking in stomach and arm muscles!
So should i being doing HIIT and Resistance training then?
I'd be really grateful if you could recommend some specific things for me to do to help me improve, if you don't mind :smile:
Thankyouu

Yeah HIIT and resistance will sort it out, probbly slightly less if you are dancing already.

For HIIT probably rowing would be a good option for you and as for resistance as I posted above will suffice.
If you are unsure of anything pop to the Colasium in Aston (where myself and my better half lift) and we can show you the ropes (you would prob prefer her to show you anyway) and then you can take it from there.
Powerlifter
This is by no means complete, but get these things into your head and you will be on a much better track than ‘Help me, I want to tone my eyelid’ type comments.

Lulz

But I do want to! My left eyelid in particular is very flabby :frown:
Powerlifter
Yeah HIIT and resistance will sort it out, probbly slightly less if you are dancing already.

For HIIT probably rowing would be a good option for you and as for resistance as I posted above will suffice.
If you are unsure of anything pop to the Colasium in Aston (where myself and my better half lift) and we can show you the ropes (you would prob prefer her to show you anyway) and then you can take it from there.

Thankyouu that's great!
And as if you're from Aston loll, small world.
Reply 37
emmerlie-jay
Thankyouu that's great!
And as if you're from Aston loll, small world.

Lol not from, but I train there, just by the big Matalan outside of town.
Powerlifter
Lol not from, but I train there, just by the big Matalan outside of town.

Haha coool, i just read your profile and it said you played rugby for some kind of solihull team? That's where i'm from lol, it's just easier to put Birmingham on here because no ones ever heard of Solihull, lol.
But yeahh, thanks for your help :smile:
Rainy

As a beginner the stimulus provided from pressing/rowing/deadlifting will make them better at them. Remembering that specificity is almost inapplicable to a novice trainee, and that adaption is so small that any stimulus will make them stronger at everything.

:smile:

Quick Reply