The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

if you're predicted A*AA why are you applying for applied psychology instead of straight psychology? In my opinion Stockton fails miserably, your 40 minutes from the main Durham campus and you just feel isolated all the time
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
MeanMachine
if you're predicted A*AA why are you applying for applied psychology instead of straight psychology? In my opinion Stockton fails miserably, your 40 minutes from the main Durham campus and you just feel isolated all the time

Because I wanted a course as an insurance.

Is the Durham campus good?
racoon97
Because I wanted a course as an insurance.

Is the Durham campus good?

yes, you should have just applied for the straight psychology course
Reply 4
MeanMachine
yes, you should have just applied for the straight psychology course

Why's that? Can you explain in more detail. Do they just give out AAA offers?
Reply 5
Stockton campus is crap imo.
Its very isolated and rubbish overall..
racoon97
Why's that? Can you explain in more detail. Do they just give out AAA offers?

If you applied for the normal psychology course you would have probably been made an AAA offer however if they didnt want to accept you your application would have been automatically passed down to the applied psychology depatment where they give out BBB offers i think
Reply 7
MeanMachine
If you applied for the normal psychology course you would have probably been made an AAA offer however if they didnt want to accept you your application would have been automatically passed down to the applied psychology depatment where they give out BBB offers i think

really? I might e-mail them to see if they can change my course then. What's Queen's campus like - why is it not that good?
Reply 8
It's not that Queen's Campus is bad, it's just that it's not Durham and it's a bit of a trek to get here.

I've not been there myself so I can't comment more specifically, but do your research and visit and see what you think of Queen's Campus.
racoon97
really? I might e-mail them to see if they can change my course then. What's Queen's campus like - why is it not that good?

I'm not sure, I guess I just had pre-conceptions of Durham to appear very traditional with cobbled streets etc. The campus looks very new and too industrialized for my liking. I wouldn't really say it was attached to the main Duhram campus as being there creates its own kinda atmosphere which i didn't like.
Reply 10
MeanMachine
I'm not sure, I guess I just had pre-conceptions of Durham to appear very traditional with cobbled streets etc. The campus looks very new and too industrialized for my liking. I wouldn't really say it was attached to the main Duhram campus as being there creates its own kinda atmosphere which i didn't like.

Thanks for your comments. I just don't know what to do now. :frown:
Reply 11
Ive heard bad things about Stockton and for that reason i didnt apply to Durham for business :frown:
Reply 12
jamz0770
Ive heard bad things about Stockton and for that reason i didnt apply to Durham for business :frown:

What bad things? :o:
Reply 13
I've been to see the Queen's campus....it's just more modern than the Durham one and also a little quieter because there's less students as fewer courses are taught there and it's not located in a very big town either. But I wouldn't say its rubbish compared to Durham and I don't think that students feel isolated much either because when I went the students there were saying they prefer the Queen's campus and if they really do want to go up to Durham there's a free bus specifically for students which takes them up there whenever they want.
Reply 14
racoon97
What bad things? :o:

Just that its a pretty rundown area, no nightlife or much of a social scene. Apparently all the "Durham students" look down at it and you are really quite isolated from the Durham campus.

I cant confirm any of that at all, its just what I've heard. :frown:
Reply 15
Stockton ain't pretty at all, it's worse than Middlesbrough (it's practically Middlesbrough) and that has the worst rep. Durham campus is much less scummier.
racoon97
I really want to know a little more about this campus, I haven't had a chance to go, and have looked at the website. I plan to look around if i get an offer, but a brief description/what's it like would be great.

Also, if anyone does the Applied Psychology - what's the course like?

Thanks! :biggrin:

I'm at queens campus doing biomed at the moment. Feel free to pm me or alternatively have a look at the official queens campus thread.
Too many people talking nonsense about it on here. The facilities are all new and top notch. I actually find it a bonus being away from the Durham snobs...but thats just me. As for the nightlife, its pretty good. There's always somewhere to go with lots of places around it (yarm, middlesborough etc..) Its quite a small campus so everyone gets to know everyone pretty quickly which is great. Suppose it depends what you want really. They have plenty of open days so it might be worth having a look for yourself.
I couldn't agree more with supersharpshooter. I'm a firstyear app psych student myself. I've had a look round the psych department in durham and it's all a bit run down and out dated. T'other thing is they don't say in the prospectus but pure psychology want you to have a science and quite a few people got sent to queens for that reason.

Oh also we have the med students. That's always something we have over Durham.

Meh, I love it here. But don't be too concerned. You probably wont end up here based on your prdicted and other offers anyway. Unless you wanna come here...
I'm applying for applied psychology too!
It's as my insurance choice.
I would have prefered the Durham city but i guess Stockton isn't too bad...
Reply 19
I have a question. I'm applying for Biomed at Queen's campus. Do I still need to pick a college?

Latest

Trending

Trending