The Student Room Group

What is the effect of alliteration?

Hi! I can spot alliteration easily :p: , but I'm unsure of the effect it creates, apart from linking the words and making it more memorable.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Allows the reader to focus on those particular words.
Reply 2
Every sound has onomatopoeic connotations associated with it: 'k' is a harsh, sharp sound compared to 's', which is soft & gentle (though also potentially hissing in context) by comparison. Alliteration can be used to emphasise certain phonetics in a sentence, creating the appropriate atmosphere or tone. Perhaps this is more assonance than alliteration, though... :dontknow:

There are other uses for alliteration, like you mentioned: the repetition of a particular starting letter emphasises that letter & consequently those words. People generally like patterns and symmetry, and a reader will often subconsciously recall recent previous words starting with that same letter, highlighting them as being on the same topic; in effect, it's like they're re-reading the words each time they come across the repeated starting letter, hence the emphasis of whatever you're saying in that sentence. :yep: Or something like that, anyway.

It depends on the words used, but generally they create a sense of snappiness and forceful nature. You can link the alliteration to the theme of the text.

Fixed. :p:
hey ould give anyone tell me how to work out the effect of terminology say for example the use of colloquial and how to work out the effect of it. Because i know my terminiology but the only thing is when it comes to anotating i just don't know how to describe the effect of the terminology used.
What effect does a 'v' alliteration give😜
What effect does the v alliteration give?? 😜
Original post by james.h
Every sound has onomatopoeic connotations associated with it: 'k' is a harsh, sharp sound compared to 's', which is soft & gentle (though also potentially hissing in context) by comparison. Alliteration can be used to emphasise certain phonetics in a sentence, creating the appropriate atmosphere or tone. Perhaps this is more assonance than alliteration, though... :dontknow:

There are other uses for alliteration, like you mentioned: the repetition of a particular starting letter emphasises that letter & consequently those words. People generally like patterns and symmetry, and a reader will often subconsciously recall recent previous words starting with that same letter, highlighting them as being on the same topic; in effect, it's like they're re-reading the words each time they come across the repeated starting letter, hence the emphasis of whatever you're saying in that sentence. :yep: Or something like that, anyway.

Fixed. :p:
grabs the readers attention and emphasises the phrase in that line ????
Reply 7
It depends of the letters used because you get different types of alliteration

1) fricative alliteration- basically used letters like v and f which makes you sounds like your gonna swear lol. It creates a more aggressive tone

2) sibilance- alliteration of "S" exclusively. sounds like hissing which creates a nice relaxed calm tone or you could link the hissing sound to deception
What is the effect of the letter w in alliteration???
Gives a sense of the world whirling around.
It is almost like the world is spinning around you...
It creates an overwhelming feel
Plosive alliteraion - b and d sounds - harsh, violent tone
Be careful! English essays should never be an exercise in aliiteration spotting. It really does depend on the subject matter. it annoys me that some teachers make a big deal of it. I'll add this one to my list of things to watch out for. in the revision materials I'm currently writing.
The effect of alliteration is you get an extra mark on your exam because the marker thinks alliteration has an affect. :tongue:
Reply 13
You have no life pal go get some head g
It can promote a sense of inevitability or repetitiveness
Can someone tell me what effect repetition of the L has on a reader?
It could emphasise weakness or create a sense of dreariness, because 'w' isn't a solid/harsh consonant. Similarly to liquid/lateral alliteration (the letter L), it can also be seen to lengthen the vowel sound which slows the pace of the poem/text

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Tia gabriel
What is the effect of the letter w in alliteration???

*edit: I also just remembered, the name of repeated 'w' sounds is called APPROXIMANT ALLITERATION :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Makes me much more miserable.
does anyone know the effect on the audience of the alliteration of 'w'
Original post by Dabod
You have no life pal go get some head g

we all don't want to be bin men like you g

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending