The Student Room Group

can I claim housing benefit if I live with my parents?

Hi everyone,

I lost my job last year and currently my parents are supporting me. However they have recently retired and said they can't afford to support me anymore, the bills are waying them down and I feel like a burden because I can't even contribute anything, the job seekrs allowance I get is only enough to pay my credit card bills and interest on my overdraft. I'm 23 and don't know what to do. As I on job seekers can I claim rent and pay them? I have no idea as I have never claimed housing benefit before.

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
no.

u gonna have to move x
Reply 3
donuticus

thanks ^^ I was looking everywhere for info on who is eligible. I couldn't seem to find it.
Reply 5

I hope you lose your job ^ you stupid smug ********.
no as your name is not on the rent book
Michelle12

ignore that thing, its an idiot

all i can suggest is just apply apply apply (which im sure youve been doing anything) look into anything even if its just cleaning or shop work

also get yourself on the council list aswell or see if maybe you can move in with friends/other family members for the time being
Reply 8
tinktinktinkerbell
ignore that thing, its an idiot

all i can suggest is just apply apply apply (which im sure youve been doing anything) look into anything even if its just cleaning or shop work

also get yourself on the council list aswell or see if maybe you can move in with friends/other family members for the time being

Thanks for your advice. I went for a job interview last week but they didn't even bother getting back to me so as you can imagine I'm just feeling a little gutted at the moment. I'm off to buy a new ink cardridge aswell so I can prepare my printer for the load of CVs and covering letters I will be printing :p:
Michelle12
Thanks for your advice. I went for a job interview last week but they didn't even bother getting back to me so as you can imagine I'm just feeling a little gutted at the moment. I'm off to buy a new ink cardridge aswell so I can prepare my printer for the load of CVs and covering letters I will be printing :p:

good luck and keep at it, something will turn up
Reply 10
Michelle12

The council thing - fill out the forms and get on the list, when you're on the list, get your parents to write a letter stating that:

"Although we love Michelle12, we can not have her living with us anymore and we will kick her out on xx/xx/xxxx"

- It will sound harsh, but the fact hat your parent are going to kick you out (nod nod wink wink) and make you homeless should be able to bump you up the list. If the council thaink that your parents are prepared to have you live with them indefinitly, then they'll never offer you a place, because you'll be a low priority - If you become, or are about to become, homeless, you suddenly get a much higher priority rating.
Michelle12
Hi everyone,

I lost my job last year and currently my parents are supporting me. However they have recently retired and said they can't afford to support me anymore, the bills are waying them down and I feel like a burden because I can't even contribute anything, the job seekrs allowance I get is only enough to pay my credit card bills and interest on my overdraft. I'm 23 and don't know what to do. As I on job seekers can I claim rent and pay them? I have no idea as I have never claimed housing benefit before.

thanks.

This might help you on reclaiming money from your overdraft: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

And this for your credit card: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges
Reply 12
darigan
The council thing - fill out the forms and get on the list, when you're on the list, get your parents to write a letter stating that:

"Although we love Michelle12, we can not have her living with us anymore and we will kick her out on xx/xx/xxxx"

- It will sound harsh, but the fact hat your parent are going to kick you out (nod nod wink wink) and make you homeless should be able to bump you up the list. If the council thaink that your parents are prepared to have you live with them indefinitly, then they'll never offer you a place, because you'll be a low priority - If you become, or are about to become, homeless, you suddenly get a much higher priority rating.

Thanks for reminding me. My mum told me that her friends daughters were doing that and that I should do it too but I completely forgot about it. I think I might try that. My parents are at their wits end...
Reply 13
paperclip
This might help you on reclaiming money from your overdraft: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

And this for your credit card: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges

thank you! but it also says in the small print that the bank have the right to close your account and demand to repaid any money you owe them (overdraft) I owe way too much to be considering that... then i really would be in trouble. :p:
Michelle12
thank you! but it also says in the small print that the bank have the right to close your account and demand to repaid any money you owe them (overdraft) I owe way too much to be considering that... then i really would be in trouble. :p:

"However, under FSA regulations, banks must treat you fairly anyway and be considerate if you are in hardship. If you think that hasn't happened, you can complain to the Ombudsman"

You're in hardship! You're unemployed!

It'd be cheaper to take out a loan at a good rate, then these charges (most of the time).
Reply 15
Michelle12
Thanks for reminding me. My mum told me that her friends daughters were doing that and that I should do it too but I completely forgot about it. I think I might try that. My parents are at their wits end...

Hi - the council will make it go right to the wire, and you may even spend some time in temporary/homeless accommodation before you get your own place proper - if you want to make that plan work, then you have got to be determined, you have to stay firm, and you may have to experience some short-term hardship. But if you can stick it out, then i reckon its worth it.
Reply 17
well if you don't manage to find a new job, you should consider marrying to a nice guy who will support you...:p:
Reply 18
Michelle12

Beware, if you do this the council can offer to put you up anywhere and as you will be homeless you HAVE to accept it. That happened to quite a few people I know.
If you need somewhere to stay its tricky but doable, basically some councils or charities do a deposit scheme which is a form of contract so the LL doesnt get any cash but the council/charity does an inventory when they move in so if the landlord claims damage has been done they will check and pay out if true.

Or try getting an overdraft or credit card to pay for a deposit and ask LL to pay weekly or ask if they can wait a few weeks as you are claiming HB.

Some councils are very fast at making decisions on claims i.e a week or two some take a month or more, some pay weekly in arrears, some pay monthly in arrears etc.

Quick Reply

Latest