The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes!! You should because it is put on your UCAS form and also, medicine is getting so competitive these days, more and more univeristtes are looking at GCSEs grades to distinguish good candidates.
Barfe in mind some uni's won't accept resits - you will have to contact them before you apply to make sure you don't waste a choice that doesn't accept them, as many don't.
thanks for the replies people, i will wait to see if my as grades are as predicted if so i will resit maths and get some work experience sorted.

krisblade
Barfe in mind some uni's won't accept resits - you will have to contact them before you apply to make sure you don't waste a choice that doesn't accept them, as many don't.

i will be sure to do so, but i wont be sitting the whole thing just one module and the final exam to get it up to a b. but whatever i will have a look. cheers again.
stracano

i will be sure to do so, but i wont be sitting the whole thing just one module and the final exam to get it up to a b. but whatever i will have a look. cheers again.

That really confused me for a second! We didn't have these modular GCSE's back in my daaaay :p:
Reply 144
krisblade
That really confused me for a second! We didn't have these modular GCSE's back in my daaaay :p:

Not in my daaaay either (2 years ago that is :p: ). I thought maths GCSE consisted of coursework and an exam. May be the OP's school do an uncommon exam board.
It's certainly not too late even if you are 23-25 you can still get a medicine course. I think medicine course have a 4-5 years o more.
Do it - whats holding you back? I think it maybe your own self doubt!

There are people in their 30's, 40's and 50's on my course - from all different walks of life - lawyers, accountants, ex-army, some guy who owned a PR company - the list goes on.
doctormoley
hey guys, just been looking at some of the successful/unsuccessful profiles to medicine and i'm proper depressed. i really want to do medicine but some of the applicants that got rejected are MUCH better then mine, like for example, 2 years work experience in a hospital. WTF.

just a bit about me:-

GCSE's :- 4A*'s = (biology)(chemistry)(physics)(RE)
4A's = (maths)(history)(pe)(eng lit)
2B's = (german)(eng lang)
A-Levels:- Biology(A) Chemistry(A) Physics(B) Maths(A)
Work Experience:- placements in local hospital, care home and GP in summer.
Other Stuff:- DofE Bronze, Sports Leader NVQ, Working with others Level 2 NVQ, on hockey and running teams, senior prefect, school council blah blah blah.....

any help to beef up this for me or any good organisations that can help me to be successful?

stop worrying lol. Just avoid the GCSE-nazi unis and try and get some voluntary work over the summer, unless if your voluntary experience was in the care home. Otherwise you're fine tbh.
doctormoley
hey guys, just been looking at some of the successful/unsuccessful profiles to medicine and i'm proper depressed. i really want to do medicine but some of the applicants that got rejected are MUCH better then mine, like for example, 2 years work experience in a hospital. WTF.

just a bit about me:-

GCSE's :- 4A*'s = (biology)(chemistry)(physics)(RE)
4A's = (maths)(history)(pe)(eng lit)
2B's = (german)(eng lang)
A-Levels:- Biology(A) Chemistry(A) Physics(B) Maths(A)
Work Experience:- placements in local hospital, care home and GP in summer.
Other Stuff:- DofE Bronze, Sports Leader NVQ, Working with others Level 2 NVQ, on hockey and running teams, senior prefect, school council blah blah blah.....

any help to beef up this for me or any good organisations that can help me to be successful?

Your academics are fine, remember short courses don't count.

I would suggest some long term ward volunteering placements, and when it comes to writing up your voluntary work and work experience its not so much what you have done, but what YOU got out of it.

When you have written your first draft of your personal statement, submit it to the PS Helpers here on TSR and if you get a good one, will abuse your personal statement, telling you all the rubbish that adds nothing.

Other than that, i don't really think you need to do anything particularly drastic, but you will need to do many, many drafts of your personal statement to make it very very good.

Where are you thinking of applying?
vas876
Your academics are fine, remember short courses don't count.

I would suggest some long term ward volunteering placements, and when it comes to writing up your voluntary work and work experience its not so much what you have done, but what YOU got out of it.

When you have written your first draft of your personal statement, submit it to the PS Helpers here on TSR and if you get a good one, will abuse your personal statement, telling you all the rubbish that adds nothing.

Other than that, i don't really think you need to do anything particularly drastic, but you will need to do many, many drafts of your personal statement to make it very very good.

Where are you thinking of applying?

my top two are cardiff and imperial. also looking at southampton and st. georges. :smile:
doctormoley
my top two are cardiff and imperial. also looking at southampton and st. georges. :smile:

Are R.E and P.E Short courses?
vas876
Are R.E and P.E Short courses?

PE isn't.

And it wasn't RE but Personal Development and Beliefs:s-smilie: but i'm pretty sure that's a short course though:rolleyes: :smile:
doctormoley
PE isn't.

And it wasn't RE but Personal Development and Beliefs:s-smilie: but i'm pretty sure that's a short course though:rolleyes: :smile:

Then you just about meet cardiffs GCSE requirements, and you also meet imperials.
Are you A Level grades achived or predicted?
BeekieBoo
There's never any harm in trying to be honest, but with only 4 choices you don't want to through one away because it doesn't meet the requirements! Ring them up and ask if with AAA does the C really matter? What is it about the London Uni's you like?

Thanks for your advice :wink:
and I live in London myself and I dont want to travel somewhere far :p:
abit lazy I know :yep:
Reply 154
How many people do you know that have a 2.2 degree in Biomedical Science and gained a place on the GEP??

Thank you.
vas876
Then you just about meet cardiffs GCSE requirements, and you also meet imperials.
Are you A Level grades achived or predicted?

They're my AS-Levels and i got AAAB in January exams and predicted that for the end of the year. Hopefully pushing the B up to an A by the end of next year:smile:
I don't personally know anyone who's done it, but it's definitely possible.

On TSR, you might want to talk to her:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=283525
Reply 157
Democracy
I don't personally know anyone who's done it, but it's definitely possible.

On TSR, you might want to talk to her:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=283525

Since when did you go disco?
Hi, I had 3 A's at AS and a C in my fourth AS, which universities specifically require at least a B in the fourth AS?
Reply 159
Grade B is quite common as the grade requirement but not all medical schools will ask for it, can you not resit a module to bring it up to a B or more? It would strengthen your academic profile that little bit more.
Your best bet would be to order the prospectuses/read them online of the various medical schools you are interested in and seeing what they say about the 4th subject and email around different medical schools cos it might not be stated specifically in the prospectus.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements, according to this Cardiff wouldn't mind a C at AS, so that's one for a start.

Latest