The Student Room Group

Aqa A2 Life Death And Beyond

Scroll to see replies

rainbowworld
I haven't looked at any of that so don't worry, you will do fine!
Yeah bring in stuff, the questions are ment to be open ended to 'strech and challenge'.

Thanks! cant think of any scholars? it just such a horrible exam because in every other topic we have practice essays and stuff and this year ive done maybe 4 essays for this topic... and there's no revision book, nothing really. ugh.
Only C.H Dodd on realised eschatology. :s-smilie:
Yeah it is, there is no decent book for it or anything.
rainbowworld
Only C.H Dodd on realised eschatology. :s-smilie:
Yeah it is, there is no decent book for it or anything.

oh! i did johns gospel for the other bit last week so i know a fair bit on eschatology in john! and Dodd and Marsh and ah. might not fail quite as epicly any more.
Reply 43
importance of present life you just tie in nature and value with beliefs about life after death....

e.g. roman catholics have holy communion as a sacrament to get into god's good books so that they might be purified with him in heaven or whatever, also the idea of doing charitable deeds (you could add the notion that life on earth is only one stage of our existence therefore christians "love their neighbours" so that they go to heaven.. just talk about parable of the good samaritan) or you could talk about judaism following the covenant to be closer to God and also hinduism and how hindus follow the laws of dharma. In terms of nature and value of human life you could discuss Sanctity of Life, role as Stewards on earth. It is basically a huge overlap of LAD and N+VOHL, you just have to apply your knowledge to the question. :smile:
mims92
importance of present life you just tie in nature and value with beliefs about life after death....

e.g. roman catholics have holy communion as a sacrament to get into god's good books so that they might be purified with him in heaven or whatever, also the idea of doing charitable deeds (you could add the notion that life on earth is only one stage of our existence therefore christians "love their neighbours" so that they go to heaven.. just talk about parable of the good samaritan) or you could talk about judaism following the covenant to be closer to God and also hinduism and how hindus follow the laws of dharma. In terms of nature and value of human life you could discuss Sanctity of Life, role as Stewards on earth. It is basically a huge overlap of LAD and N+VOHL, you just have to apply your knowledge to the question. :smile:

So would it sort of be like present life is important because we have a valuable nature given by God and we have value etc VS. it is only one part of life, we have the after-life too so present life isn't that important.
for importance of present life...talk about Judgement in Christianity and Islam, and within Christianity..JUDGEMENT will be based on faith- John 3 :16, ephesians 2:8, romans 10:9-10..and then there's the parable of sheep and goats..and how if you do not believe in the resurrection then your faith is in vain ( 1 corinthians)..
About eschatological/apocalypic what secular ideas has everyone got?
- i have got :
- the idea of planet x- nirabu.
- james lovelock - revenge of gaia theory
- human induced apocalypse portrayed in the film waterworld...
- mayan calendar the world will end on 23 decemember 2012 as that is when the mesoamerican long count calendar will end..
and for religious teaching on this topic...i have
the rapture - in 1 thesslaonians and John 2-3
revelations--
daniel 7: 13-14 - offers hope as it states that his dominion will rule for ever...
i'm soooo confused! I've pretty much covered all of N+VOHL and eschatology/apocalypse. what do i need to know for life after death?
any idea on possible ao2 questions for eschatology? we've got one --- Examine how eschatology beliefs may effect somebodies views towards life and death---- but really cant think of any more...
Reply 49
tomwmjohnson
any idea on possible ao2 questions for eschatology? we've got one --- Examine how eschatology beliefs may effect somebodies views towards life and death---- but really cant think of any more...

The one we were given is 'eschatological beliefs are no longer relevant in the 21st century - discuss'
d123
The one we were given is 'eschatological beliefs are no longer relevant in the 21st century - discuss'

hmm so you could say.... science may have dis proven a soul and so dis-proven ressurection?? or dis-proven various biblical thingys with its own ideas... but then that eternal life is still relevant today... that we can adapt the message metaphorically (a milleniumism) but that ultimately atheist philosophers deny a god and so afterlife......
but in a nicer order.
Reply 51
tomwmjohnson
hmm so you could say.... science may have dis proven a soul and so dis-proven ressurection?? or dis-proven various biblical thingys with its own ideas... but then that eternal life is still relevant today... that we can adapt the message metaphorically (a milleniumism) but that ultimately atheist philosophers deny a god and so afterlife......
but in a nicer order.

I don't think all of that's relevant to be honest - eschatology is about the end of the world, not individual eternal life, so the thing about disproving the soul and resurrection doesn't really answer the question. My example essay plan for this question had ideas like scientific ideas about the end of the world (e.g. global warming) and the 2012 mayan prophecy suggesting it still is relevant, but literal religious interpretations aren't followed by as many people nowadays so that isn't relevant. That's just a small part of the answer, you can write a lot and could probably include some of the ideas you mentioned but it's important to remember what eschatology actually means. Hope this helps.
Hey everyone,
I've been reading the thread & everyone seems to be doing Hinduism, is that what we have to do because we did a little on Buddhism for the synoptic and pretty much had to teach ourselves the rest. I've got Buddhism for Present life and Life after death and also for death and beyond. were we meant to do Hinduism??
And another quick question, would it be completely irrelevent to use Dawkins beliefs about the soul as not existing for both lifeafter death and death and beyond?
I'm so not looking forward to this exam, i dont think i know enough at all! :frown:
Reply 53
PadsBrat1991
Hey everyone,
I've been reading the thread & everyone seems to be doing Hinduism, is that what we have to do because we did a little on Buddhism for the synoptic and pretty much had to teach ourselves the rest. I've got Buddhism for Present life and Life after death and also for death and beyond. were we meant to do Hinduism??
And another quick question, would it be completely irrelevent to use Dawkins beliefs about the soul as not existing for both lifeafter death and death and beyond?
I'm so not looking forward to this exam, i dont think i know enough at all! :frown:

You don't have to do Hinduism I don't think, it's just the obvious choice as it's a cyclical system and isn't too complicated.

And nope, Dawkins beliefs about the soul are completely relevant. Because it's a synoptic paper, bring in anything you know if you can make it answer the question.
Don't worry i've just done Christianity, don't know anything about any other religions!
And yes bring in anything you can that fits in.
How did everyone find the paper then? :smile:
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be
Merrr not great. The questions were good but I just messed up a bit. Wasn't awful, but not great, maybe got a C or something in it I recon.
Hey There!
So I am in a little panic because in this paper I got so confused with the question format as it used to be a) and b) but now it is numbers...I answered Qu 1 and Qu 2 on nature of human life..is this ok? was I meant to answer the other questions..or was i only meant to do question 1
Reply 59
I liked it :smile: Good question with lots to write about, I'm fairly sure I got my A and I'm usually very pessimistic after exams - it was an unusual feeling to come out smiling.

Quick Reply

Latest