The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BedSocks
My school says that timetabling Spanish A2 in year 12 would be too difficult unless I teach myself, although I'm teaching myself AS without too much trouble so maybe I should consider it.
I think English, French, Latin AND Spanish would be language overkill, and if I'm honest I'd rather do music than maths.
Thank you for your help :smile:

Oh yeh, hadn't though of that although there ar a few people in our school who for various reasons are doing AS and A2 at the same time, this would mean in your case whenever you have a free at the same time as an A2 Spanish lesson you go to the Spanish lesson, if there is a clash you go to the AS lessons and as you would have extra frees (3 AS's instead of 4) these would be used to self teach the rest of Spanish A2...if the spanish teachers are willing to help you when needed outside of timetabled lesson times this shouldnt be too bad, if they aren't like that it would be harder, but if you want to do it I cant see any reason why you could give it a go self teach then if you dont get the grades you want for the A2 in year 12 you could do 4 subjects in year 13 (Spanish and whatever your 3 AS options were) when there shouldn't be a timetable clash.
And then if you prefer music you could do english lit, french, spanish, music?
I have decided just to do four AS levels in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics rather than five and pick up an extended project after Christmas. I was going to do Music as a fifth, but feel that it would be better to concentrate on the sciences in order for me to apply to university for Medicine. Thanks for the advice that has been given though :-)
Reply 1082
A Level subject combination help!?
Sub. Combo 1:
Accounts
Economics
Sociology
English AS (General)

Sub Combo 2:
Accounting
Economics
Business Studies
Sociology

Sub Combo 3:
Economics
Business Studies
Sociology
English AS (General)

Additional Information:
- 7 A's in O Levels, with A* in Economics, Business Studies, Sociology and English Language.
-B grade in Accounts and Maths.
-If I take Accounts I know I'll have to work really hard and I'll try to pull it off.
-I may opt for a degree in Business Administration but I am really passionate about Government/ Political Sciences and the Foreign Office.
-I want to keep my options open so I'd be able to choose from either of the two fields when I get into university.
I was wondering if anyone who has taken Biology or Physics at AS could help me -- did you enjoy them? Are the modules interesting? Anything at all you have to say about them, I'm interested.

Oh, and do you think my current choices are OK? They're English Lit, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I'm interested in Pharmacy at the moment, but it might change to something else science-related.
I'm not sure what I want to do as a job yet, but for Uni I'm looking at taking Social Anthropology with Sociology,Spanish or Japanese. That's my 'sensible' option,but I do really love musical theatre and dream of having a job in that area of work.

For A-levels, I'm thinking of taking
Spanish
Sociology
Biology
BTEC Musical Theatre.

However,I took an AS in General Science this year as a fast track course,and I got a C (12 marks off a B), so I'm worried about Biology. I could also swap Spanish for English Literature,a subject I'm counted as gifted and talented in,and I'm really not sure what to do! :frown: I'm also recovering from a jaw operation so I'll miss a few weeks of being able to do stuff in Musical Theatre,and worrying if that'll screw with my results. D: Help?
Hello!

Okay, ima trying and type out all my thoughts so they make sense, sorry if they dont!

I would want to end up working in the financial sector in London, this is my dream job, sort of what im aiming for.

On a school trip to Oxford (Trying to get us poor kids to go there, bit pointless) i was introduced to Economics. Oxford offered "PPE" (Poltics philsophy & economics). as i would be unable to go to Oxford due to my grades, and money issues, i would like something similar at a university that im more likely to be able to get into and afford.

After reading the Guardian newspaper i've become concerned about my choice of A Levels. They printed an article that stated top level uni's such as Cambridge dont rate Business studies as a worthwhile subject and this could work against me when trying to get in.

I read that for an economics based degree uni's would of course much rather economics at a level, but as a state educated pupil, this is naturally an impossibility at my school.

Will business studies therefore work against me when trying to get into uni? Should i drop it and take a different subject or just stick with it as its a subject i enjoy.

Another worry of mine was that Physics would be to hard (Our teacher told even the most able students to expect poor results (C/D's)). This worries me as if i get a bad grade, its not going to help when trying to meet entry requirements and disadvantage me highly. Should i also reconsider picking this?

My current selection is:

Further maths
Business studies
Physics
Chemistry

I hope to achieve A's in most of my GCSE's, with possibly 2 B's and some A*'s.

Im in a rather big mess and would appreciate any help/thoughts.

Thanks!
Hi, I'm new to this, I'd just like to ask whether these A level choices are suitable for entering the field of Dentistry.

A level Choices: 1st Year Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics
2nd Year Chemistry, Biology, drop either Maths or Physics for A2

Also can you give a rating out of 10, on the difficulty of each subject (both years). Thanks a bunch guys, I hope you all get good GCSE results :smile: <3

Oh and please advise me if some of my subjects are unnecessary, though I have planned out these main subjects to support my primary career, and if things go wrong, possibly an alternative route :smile:. I may also take an enrichment option. Okay I should stop typing now. KthxBai!
kiLLthriLL
Hi, I'm new to this, I'd just like to ask whether these A level choices are suitable for entering the field of Dentistry.

Those choices are fine.
kiLLthriLL

Also can you give a rating out of 10, on the difficulty of each subject (both years). Thanks a bunch guys, I hope you all get good GCSE results :smile: <3

Oh and please advise me if some of my subjects are unnecessary, though I have planned out these main subjects to support my primary career, and if things go wrong, possibly an alternative route :smile:. I may also take an enrichment option. Okay I should stop typing now. KthxBai!

Your subjects choices are great. Below in the link are the subjects and grades you need for dentistry:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Unless you wanted to apply to Glasgow, where they strangely recommend A-level English, you'll be fine :smile: I haven't take A-levels yet, so I can't comment on the difficulty.
AndyLowson
Hello!

Okay, ima trying and type out all my thoughts so they make sense, sorry if they dont!

I would want to end up working in the financial sector in London, this is my dream job, sort of what im aiming for.

On a school trip to Oxford (Trying to get us poor kids to go there, bit pointless) i was introduced to Economics. Oxford offered "PPE" (Poltics philsophy & economics). as i would be unable to go to Oxford due to my grades, and money issues, i would like something similar at a university that im more likely to be able to get into and afford.

After reading the Guardian newspaper i've become concerned about my choice of A Levels. They printed an article that stated top level uni's such as Cambridge dont rate Business studies as a worthwhile subject and this could work against me when trying to get in.

I read that for an economics based degree uni's would of course much rather economics at a level, but as a state educated pupil, this is naturally an impossibility at my school.

Will business studies therefore work against me when trying to get into uni? Should i drop it and take a different subject or just stick with it as its a subject i enjoy.

Another worry of mine was that Physics would be to hard (Our teacher told even the most able students to expect poor results (C/D's)). This worries me as if i get a bad grade, its not going to help when trying to meet entry requirements and disadvantage me highly. Should i also reconsider picking this?

My current selection is:

Further maths
Business studies
Physics
Chemistry

I hope to achieve A's in most of my GCSE's, with possibly 2 B's and some A*'s.

Im in a rather big mess and would appreciate any help/thoughts.

Thanks!

Sorry if my original post didnt make much sense. No excuses, but i wrote it at 12am after a day out. Anyway i've tried to retype it so it actually does, or thats the hope!
AndyLowson
Sorry if my original post didnt make much sense. No excuses, but i wrote it at 12am after a day out. Anyway i've tried to retype it so it actually does, or thats the hope!

I'd recommend Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry if you have Maths at A'level then take maybe something like a art based subject such as English Lit/History.

Theres a link on this thread somewhere but im feeling too good it lists the good or preffered subjects for Oxbridge and i dont think Business Studies is a subject they go for.

As long as you put the work and the effort into Physics you will get good grades but your grade is a reflection on what you put into your course works and exams. Work hard get the A*s, As and B. You dont you get C/D/E/Fails.

Look on university courses on their websites where you get the information first hand. Also consider Extended project if you can.
I will be starting A level in september, and i want to take Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Are these choices ok, and will i be at a disadvantage against other university applicants, since I am not taking a art subject?

Thanks.
ShadowOnTheWall
I will be starting A level in september, and i want to take Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Are these choices ok, and will i be at a disadvantage against other university applicants, since I am not taking a art subject?

Thanks.

Should be fine, what do you want to do at uni?
Need help, quickly.

I have only two days remaing before I need to sign up for my chosen A level courses, and I'm still trying to decide >.<

I'm definetly going to do English Literature, and need to pick three out of History, Biology, Physics and Chemistry. I was originally going to do all three science subjects, but I'm worried this'll limit my future options to only science-based areas, and I'm really not sure what I'd like to do. :/

My best subject is Literature, undoubtedly. I'm excellent at humanities, and was thinking of doing 2 sciences, and lit and History to keep my options open. However I'm worried that doing two sciences without the third will leave me disadvantaged should I pursue a career in science. What do you think is the best path to take?
ShadowOnTheWall

Thanks.

What do you want to do after A levels?
i was just wondering is it possible/hard to do economics in one year? x
Jonty99
Should be fine, what do you want to do at uni?

I am considering something like physical natural sciences.
ShadowOnTheWall

You definitely do not need an arts subject at all for natural sciences. It's best to have as much science as possible, so you have the maximum possible choice in what you can do in a natural science degree. Something like Spanish or history instead of maths won't let you do physics in natural science for example. It's great taking all the sciences, otherwise you'll be very restricted in what you can actually do, not just including my example.
Reply 1098
From Law and Economics which subject is better?

Need advice...Has anyone done one of the two subjects before?
ShadowOnTheWall

Yes, they're fine, although Further Maths could also be useful.

Latest