The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Thinking about throwing in some barbell holds at the end of each sess, just to give my grip a bit of a boost, what will give me the most bang for my buck, less weight with 'fat gripz', or more weight without fat grips. Or both?
Original post by Megaloblastic
Thinking about throwing in some barbell holds at the end of each sess, just to give my grip a bit of a boost, what will give me the most bang for my buck, less weight with 'fat gripz', or more weight without fat grips. Or both?

Both about the same really
What do you think is better, Power cleans or Dumbell Rows?
And could i do both and if so what order should i do them in?

Or could i add in a workout C to SS with front squats/push press/power cleans?

Your opinions on that stuffs please.
Original post by Powerlifter

Kinda answered your own question there.

Fair point.

Okay next question. I'm running a slightly modified WS4SB routine, and on the non-ME lower day (I won't call it dynamic because it isn't particularly) I'm doing deadlifts up to a top set of 5, followed by front squats 5x3 at 75% of max, concentrating on speed. (On my ME Lower day I do back squats and RDLs).

A guy told me that I shouldn't do front squats for 5 triples after deadlift, because triples focus on strength and I won't be using full strenght because it's only 75% and because I already deadlifted. He said I should either do the triples before deadlifting, and at closer to my max, or do the front squats lighter and for higher reps (6-10). His reasoning was that if I'm gonna do triples, then I should focus on actually gaining strength from them, since that's the point of them. And if I'm gonna do them as an assistance/hypertrophy exercise, then I should reflect that by doing high reps.

Thoughts?
Original post by tomtomtomtom
Fair point.

Okay next question. I'm running a slightly modified WS4SB routine, and on the non-ME lower day (I won't call it dynamic because it isn't particularly) I'm doing deadlifts up to a top set of 5, followed by front squats 5x3 at 75% of max, concentrating on speed. (On my ME Lower day I do back squats and RDLs).

A guy told me that I shouldn't do front squats for 5 triples after deadlift, because triples focus on strength and I won't be using full strenght because it's only 75% and because I already deadlifted. He said I should either do the triples before deadlifting, and at closer to my max, or do the front squats lighter and for higher reps (6-10). His reasoning was that if I'm gonna do triples, then I should focus on actually gaining strength from them, since that's the point of them. And if I'm gonna do them as an assistance/hypertrophy exercise, then I should reflect that by doing high reps.

Thoughts?

He is not well educated on training methods and should apparently be teaching the world dominating bulgarian weightlifting squad what to do as they seemed to thing 75% was sufficient - provided you are moving the bar as fast as possible with 70%+ you are in a strength building zone without taxing the cns - so what you are doing is fine - I would still do them before deadlifts though.
Any good exercises to help correct my posture ? Also i train in pairs so i would do Biceps and chest one day etc.. What are the best 'pairs' when training s0 i get the full effect of the work out. Cheers mate :smile:
I get occasional pain in my elbow when doing tricep pull downs and close grip bench, more when i push it heavier. Is this down to weakness or poor technique? It doesnt feel damaged, am I going too heavy?
Here's a good question. I believe that HIIT cardio is making me stronger in the sense I am stronger in my 2nd and 3rd sets than usual. Could this be right?

I used to hate military presses since they were hard on my breathing, but now I don't get out of breath on the and can just concentrate on the exercise on hand. Sound about right?
Cardio helps recovery between sets. This is why people like Wendler say most powerlifters need to get 'in shape' even if we're only discussing totals for a lot of lighter weight lifters.
Original post by MHorman
What do you think is better, Power cleans or Dumbell Rows?
And could i do both and if so what order should i do them in?

Or could i add in a workout C to SS with front squats/push press/power cleans?

Your opinions on that stuffs please.

Wouldn't it not matter if you do both? They are on your B workout only so at worst you lift twice a week with plenty of rest between.

Power cleans then rows; PC's are quite a big movement.

Just my thoughts.
I've been making personally impressive gains with my squat, but lately have become increasingly paranoid that I am not squatting deep enough and that these gains I have made will disappear as soon as I get down properly low. Is it a case of reducing what I have on the bar and changing my technique, or stretching with experience and gradually sitting down lower.

(I use weightlifting trainers.)
Are there certain biomechanics which favour certain lifts over others? What are they?
Broadly speaking, short limbs are good for squats and deadlifts. Especially if you have a ****ing massive barrel chest (shorter range of motion for bench press=smaller probability of shoulder injuries/more weight lifted in general.)

Long arms/short torso=good for deadlifts for similar reasons.

Big paw like hands are good for deadlifting as they are generally accompanied by good grip strength.

Big joints in general are just good for strength. That's a general picture, I am sure powerlifter can get more specific.
Original post by G550NDH
Any good exercises to help correct my posture ? Also i train in pairs so i would do Biceps and chest one day etc.. What are the best 'pairs' when training s0 i get the full effect of the work out. Cheers mate :smile:

Not gym specific ones, just correct it and make an effort to stay that way during the day

Original post by Double Agent
I get occasional pain in my elbow when doing tricep pull downs and close grip bench, more when i push it heavier. Is this down to weakness or poor technique? It doesnt feel damaged, am I going too heavy?

Warm up more - I get this too

Original post by Bloodbath
Here's a good question. I believe that HIIT cardio is making me stronger in the sense I am stronger in my 2nd and 3rd sets than usual. Could this be right?

I used to hate military presses since they were hard on my breathing, but now I don't get out of breath on the and can just concentrate on the exercise on hand. Sound about right?

If you are poorly conditioned like fat powerlifters are you will struggle to recover - HIIT helps you recover faster between sets to an extent

Original post by Anna_Karenina
I've been making personally impressive gains with my squat, but lately have become increasingly paranoid that I am not squatting deep enough and that these gains I have made will disappear as soon as I get down properly low. Is it a case of reducing what I have on the bar and changing my technique, or stretching with experience and gradually sitting down lower.

(I use weightlifting trainers.)

Post a vid and i'll check it out for you - ultimately though if it is high then its not progress (unless you are trying to build a massive partial squat
Reply 2094
I'm hoping to sign up to some sort of divisional unequipped open in 2012. I'm completely new to this, will be first meet so I have no huge expectations or anything, just want to get it under my belt then hopefully onwards and upwards. I think I'll probs be able to total somewhere around 400 @ ~80.

Would you recommend any one fed over another for first comp?
Do you believe in somatotypes and if yes which are you?

I got my bf% at my gym and found out my somato type. I am 1-6-4, which means mainly meso but still tend to carry fat like a endo. My bf is around 16%, is it possible to keep building muscle while introducing HIIT only twice a week? With that being the only cardio i do.
Original post by Adidas90
I'm hoping to sign up to some sort of divisional unequipped open in 2012. I'm completely new to this, will be first meet so I have no huge expectations or anything, just want to get it under my belt then hopefully onwards and upwards. I think I'll probs be able to total somewhere around 400 @ ~80.

I am also interested in this.
I am also interested in that but at around 70kg with a total in the mid 300s by late 2012...

Any reccomendations for anything for a first comp or just go and blag it?
Should my grip on the seated overhead press be the same as my bench?
Original post by Adidas90

Depends what you want really

BDFPA - Up their own arses - no music allowed and everyone seems to set a record with crap lifts (mainly as no strong people care to lift in said fed)
GBPF - IPF affiliated - most UK members of a fed - good pool of lifters and drug tested
GPC/BPC - Probably the best atmosphere - loud music and lots of shouting - non drug tested

really either the GBPF opr the GPC in my personal opinion are the way to go.

Original post by Z_Ahmed
Do you believe in somatotypes and if yes which are you?

I got my bf% at my gym and found out my somato type. I am 1-6-4, which means mainly meso but still tend to carry fat like a endo. My bf is around 16%, is it possible to keep building muscle while introducing HIIT only twice a week? With that being the only cardio i do.

I'm probably closer to the meso end of the meso/ecto scale - I have a big ribcage, thick limbs but they are long - similar to Arnold

And yes it is

Original post by Scrappy-coco
Should my grip on the seated overhead press be the same as my bench?

usually a bench grip is wider

Quick Reply