The Student Room Group

Two consenting adults face JAIL for admitting having CONSENSUAL sex with each other

Long-lost father and daughter reunited through the internet face JAIL after falling in love with each other and having sex with each other.

Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA) is a term that describes the phenomenon of sexual attraction between close relatives, such as siblings, first and second cousins or a parent and offspring who first meet as adults.

GSA is rare between people raised together in early childhood due to a reverse sexual imprinting known as the Westermarck effect, which desensitizes them sexual attraction. Experts believe that this effect evolved to prevent inbreeding.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015907/Nicola-Yates-Andrew-Butler-Father-daughter-face-jail-admitting-having-sex.html#ixzz1STgkjoOz

How backward must Britain be, that in the 21st century two consenting adults are thrown in jail, just for wanting to have sex with each other?
Sickens me how the law can be so peverse.

Scroll to see replies

Well, it's incest.

Can't you see why that shouldn't be allowed :lolwut:

Pic related: it's OP

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
They shouldn't be having sex outside of marriage anyway.
Reply 3
Oh dear, should have gone to specsavers
Reply 4
I think you missed the part about them being father and daughter, and therefore them having sex is incest, which is illegal. Two consenting adults having consensual sex isn't illegal - but a father and daughter having sex is illegal (regardless of whether or not it's consensual and/or whether or not they're estranged)

EDIT: Wait, I get negged for telling the truth? Seriously? Oh wow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Darth Stewie
yeh but if they didnt know, its not really somthing they should be facing jail for.

Yeah but they knew...
Reply 6
Original post by Darth Stewie
yeh but if they didnt know, its not really somthing they should be facing jail for.

Like not knowing you've handled stolen goods? Or any strict liability offence?
Original post by Bakmouth

Yeah, this! :lol:

But maybe they were really bad at it
Original post by Nicknak256
Yeah but they knew...

my bad didnt read the article properly
Reply 9

no what is wrong is the incest

sex outside marriage is fun
For the people against incest - Should we ban those with hereditary diseases for having sexual relations? At what point is the % chance of the offspring having a disease too high?
Reply 11
As strange as this sounds provided they don't have kids should this really be wrong? It makes us all feel revolted fair enough but I am a big believer in the Harm principle
Original post by kopite493
no what is wrong is the incest

sex outside marriage is fun

hmm alot of incestuous relationships result in the exploitation of one of the parties by the other. cases such as the above are rare and the policy concerns regarding incest such as preventing paedophilia/abuse are cogent enough to warrant banning even the non-exploitative incarnations.
Reply 13
There's over 6.5 billion people in the world to sleep with... it's really not that hard to not sleep with relatives. It does sort of bring a whole new meaning to saying “who's the daddy“.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
As strange as this sounds provided they don't have kids should this really be wrong? It makes us all feel revolted fair enough but I am a big believer in the Harm principle

This.
Original post by Aj12
Yes, but no form of contraception is 100% effective, so if they're having sex, they're risking having kids.

EDIT: Also, the harm principle is a nice simplistic moral rule, but no more than that, as there's virtually nothing that we do that doesn't have the potential to cause serious harm to others -- or, as Mill himself puts it, that "are not invasive of the free acts of others". And, of course, harm can't be quantified easily and neatly.

EDIT2: I wish someone would lambast me rather than merely negging me. That way I can at least attempt to learn from you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stefan1991

Lucky dad! :biggrin:
Original post by Stefan1991
Long-lost father and daughter reunited through the internet face JAIL after falling in love with each other and having sex with each other.

Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA) is a term that describes the phenomenon of sexual attraction between close relatives, such as siblings, first and second cousins or a parent and offspring who first meet as adults.

GSA is rare between people raised together in early childhood due to a reverse sexual imprinting known as the Westermarck effect, which desensitizes them sexual attraction. Experts believe that this effect evolved to prevent inbreeding.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015907/Nicola-Yates-Andrew-Butler-Father-daughter-face-jail-admitting-having-sex.html#ixzz1STgkjoOz

How backward must Britain be, that in the 21st century two consenting adults are thrown in jail, just for wanting to have sex with each other?
Sickens me how the law can be so peverse.

They had sex KNOWING they were father and daughter, it's incest, 'sickens' me how perverse you must be to think that the fact they are beeing prosecuted is wrong and sick....
Its not even like they are distant cousins (which is also wrong), they are father and daughter. Its not 'love' if they are predisposed to have feelings for eachother because of sharing genes etc. If they had sex without knowing they were father and daughter then it would be different. Incest is illegal, if she got pregnant (contraception isn't 100% effective) and kept the baby, then thats just plain wrong and the health problems the baby could be faced with would imo be torture caused by THEM, mutated genes because of incestuos conception.
Its illegal, and wrong, GSA is bs, they may feel attracted to eachother but they shouldn't act on it..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
For the people against incest - Should we ban those with hereditary diseases for having sexual relations? At what point is the % chance of the offspring having a disease too high?

im not against it for disease reasons im against it case they share the same DNA
Original post by Junaid16
:lolwut:I'm not denying that Incest is bad, but I don't agree with it being illegal tbh.

You believe incest should be legal? erm okay...

Latest