The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I have spent several days in a bikini on Aberdeen beach in the past three years :yes:

I have also experienced -20C for the first time ever.
Reply 61
Might be applying to will watch the thread and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if aberdeen will look at A2 results?? Im taking a gap year so already have them :smile:
Original post by Swind
Might be applying to will watch the thread and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if aberdeen will look at A2 results?? Im taking a gap year so already have them :smile:

Have a good gap year, but no offence is it not a bit of a stupid question whether they will look at your A level results? Or do you mean specific results for the A2 year only?
Reply 63
I mean, ive seen that lots of universities look at GCSE's, but i have not seen A2 mentioned (probably because lots of people dont have them. I was only wondering as i got 4 A's at A level but my GCSE's wernt too great.
Reply 64
does aberdeen require you to be 18 before allowing you to study the course?
Can I just ask, for those of you who were successful in previous years in applying to Aberdeen, how did they use the UKCAT? Was there a cut off like at Glasgow? Do they place much emphasis on it? Or is it more about the personal statement/interview/reference with regards to a successful application?
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Can I just ask, for those of you who were successful in previous years in applying to Aberdeen, how did they use the UKCAT? Was there a cut off like at Glasgow? Do they place much emphasis on it? Or is it more about the personal statement/interview/reference with regards to a successful application?

It's on their site - they give a max of 8% for UKCAT.
Original post by ChangedMyMind
It's on their site - they give a max of 8% for UKCAT.

Legend. You applying as well?
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Legend. You applying as well?

Yep :smile: as a graduate applicant. Got 690 on my UKCAT.
Bump! I have added a UKCAT poll to the thread :wink:
My post must have never posted but yeah 8% for the ukcat and I think that they would look at your A levels but you need to ask Becca Sarah about the significance of GCSEs.
Reply 71
I rang aberdeen last week and they said to me that they dont use gcse's for the academic part of selection, they only use A-level predictions.
Reply 72
I'm applying to Aberdeen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 73
Original post by Anterior view
In a word no:smile:

haha yea thanks, i got an email from them today :smile:

its really stupid cause im 17 if i get to start in 2012, do you think that any unis will have an exception at all? im only 18 till decemeber 2012 :frown:
i know that the age thing is set by NHS but still.... :frown: :frown:
any ideas?
Original post by franynli

its really stupid cause im 17 if i get to start in 2012, do you think that any unis will have an exception at all? im only 18 till decemeber 2012 :frown:
any ideas?

Eh? They said yes or no :confused:

I was 17 until January and its fairly normal - if they said you couldn't apply then try phoning to check that?

You can't go from S5 though.

any ideas?

Did Aberdeen tell you at what point in the year you need to turn 18 by? Because I'm fairly sure there's a girl in my class who didn't turn 18 til Christmas, tho I realise the rules may have changed in the several years since I started.
Reply 76
oh sorry, i mean aberdeen said no age limit, they see your maturity by interview

i was talking about other universities in general :\
sorry for the confusion
oh sorry, i mean aberdeen said no age limit, they see your maturity by interview

i was talking about other universities in general :\
sorry for the confusion

All Scottish universities will, but I have no idea about south of the border :smile:
Original post by TheRabbit
All Scottish universities will, but I have no idea about south of the border :smile:

Personally I'd say if you're not going to be 18 by the start of term, wait until you are if you plan to go south. Whilst scottish freshers takes into account the fact that there are loads of underage people, english freshers doesn't do so to the same degree.
Reply 79
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Personally I'd say if you're not going to be 18 by the start of term, wait until you are if you plan to go south. Whilst scottish freshers takes into account the fact that there are loads of underage people, english freshers doesn't do so to the same degree.

How many people start the first year under 18 at Scottish medical schools, or just Aberdeen, in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending