The Student Room Group

Do I pass as male?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by NightFire411
Because transsexualism has a stigma attached to it in mainstream society. Most people only understand it from a flawed, surface level understanding. That is why we see so much hate and prejudice towards trans people. I truely believe [unless the person is just an arse to begin with] that if people were more educated about it...there would be much less prejudice in today's society.

Seems like a non-issue to me.
I'm sure if you didn't feel the need to ask if you look like a boy, people wouldn't even realise, meaning you're the one causing this issue. It's just drawing attention to a potential issue, making leeway for more prejudice and discrimination
Also, as this is an internet forum, your gender, orientation, race etc doesn't make a difference and could even be anonymous if you wanted, so why would you educate people on it in a place where it makes no difference what you are? It's an issue to take up with actual people, if you're going to take it up
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
Agreed 100%
Reply 122
Original post by ed-
Seems like a non-issue to me.

:facepalm:
Reply 123
I don't think people need 'educating' in the first place.
Everyone is aware of transgender stuff. The only people that aren't probably aren't old enough to have grown pubes.
This is exactly like gay pride marches. If you want equality then why go out of your way to show you're different? It's illogical.

So let's say this is a good way to stop prejudice and discrimination. This thread in particular is idiotic. This is not 'education'. This is just provoking a highly controversial subject. Asking if you can get away with being male is not educating people. It comes across as attention seeking
Reply 124
A fiat with a ferrari shell is still a fiat.
Reply 125
I'd assume male.
Reply 126
Original post by ed-
I don't think people need 'educating' in the first place.
Everyone is aware of transgender stuff. The only people that aren't probably aren't old enough to have grown pubes.
This is exactly like gay pride marches. If you want equality then why go out of your way to show you're different? It's illogical.

So let's say this is a good way to stop prejudice and discrimination. This thread in particular is idiotic. This is not 'education'. This is just provoking a highly controversial subject. Asking if you can get away with being male is not educating people. It comes across as attention seeking

Most people THINK they know about transgender stuff...and sure...people know that there ARE transgender people...but do they really know anymore than that? I have seen a lot of ignorance on the web and in real life too. What people "know" of transgender stuff is usually flawed...I know a lot of people who think transgender people are fake and just pretending to be "something they are not"..which couldn't be further from the truth. They do not realize that transsexualism is a medical condition, where, in utero, the brain developed as the opposite sex of the body.

Most people think its just a "lifestyle choice" or a "sexual fetish"...which couldn't be farther from the truth. Most people have misunderstanding about transexual stuff..and I have seen that kind of ignorance displayed all over the web as well as in real life.

And no, I was NOT seeking attention I just wanted to know if I could pass or not. No harm in that.
Reply 127
Original post by ed-
This thread in particular is idiotic. This is not 'education'. This is just provoking a highly controversial subject. Asking if you can get away with being male is not educating people. It comes across as attention seeking

Highly controversial? People being born certain ways is controversial is it now?
Reply 128
Original post by kerily
Just looked through my profile, and dear Lord, I am so jealous right now :tongue: You pass substantially better than I do. Not that that's hard :ahee:

I'm tempted to post photos to see what people think, but I'm conscious that they'd probably be quite mean (this is TSR, after all) and I'm also conscious that I look androgynous at best. :emo:

Hi, Kerily, I hope you don't get offended, but I'm a massive lurker on these forums, and something has been on my mind ever since I saw you wrote somewhere that you have blue hair...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/slink/real-life/stories/my-boyfriend-was-born-a-girl

Was that written about you? I hope you're not offended by me asking, but I wondered if it was, I didn't know how many blue haired FTM transgenders there were. I just ask because I remembered reading it a year ago and it kind of restored my belief that the world is full of people that will accept you and love you for who you are inside.

EDIT: Oh, also, if this does offend you and its about you, I will delete this post

EDIT 2: Oh, and OP I think you pass fairly well :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
I am FTM transgender [female to male]

I was wondering how well I pass...I get very self conscious out in public sometimes.

http://i41.tinypic.com/htahl5.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/f39ysw.jpg

The first picture I could only tell because of you telling my you're Trans. Congratulations and good luck with the future and stoof.
Reply 130

And no, I was NOT seeking attention I just wanted to know if I could pass or not. No harm in that.

There is when you start claiming that you're 'educating' people when you're not.

Original post by Beady
Highly controversial? People being born certain ways is controversial is it now?

If it wasn't controversial, why would there be prejudice?
It's controversial because transgender people claim they're born in the wrong body and that it's not a lifestyle choice, but there's yet to see any credible scientific evidence for this.

The reason I'm taking issue with this is that generally, I don't care. It's not until people start claiming that there's an issue so that they can wave their views in your face that I see a problem. Such as now. Such as gay pride marches.
Original post by Beady
I think you pass really well, still some feminine features (not a bad thing though) but I certainly would never guess if I didn't know and met you in real life.

And I agree with Tortious you pass quite well too. :smile:

thanks v much :hat2:
Original post by kerily
Just looked through my profile, and dear Lord, I am so jealous right now :tongue: You pass substantially better than I do. Not that that's hard :ahee:

I'm tempted to post photos to see what people think, but I'm conscious that they'd probably be quite mean (this is TSR, after all) and I'm also conscious that I look androgynous at best. :emo:

lol I really don't see how you guys think I pass. I really don't see it (and apparently neither do 90% of irl people) :iiam:

thanks though :hat2:

also lol don't be jealous of me, at least you have the height advantage
Reply 133
Original post by ed-
There is when you start claiming that you're 'educating' people when you're not.

At first I was simply asking rather I passed or not. And now as the discussion moves forward I am using the opportunity to educate people.
Reply 134
Original post by syrettd
Hi, Kerily, I hope you don't get offended, but I'm a massive lurker on these forums, and something has been on my mind ever since I saw you wrote somewhere that you have blue hair...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/slink/real-life/stories/my-boyfriend-was-born-a-girl

Was that written about you? I hope you're not offended by me asking, but I wondered if it was, I didn't know how many blue haired FTM transgenders there were. I just ask because I remembered reading it a year ago and it kind of restored my belief that the world is full of people that will accept you and love you for who you are inside.

EDIT: Oh, also, if this does offend you and its about you, I will delete this post

EDIT 2: Oh, and OP I think you pass fairly well :smile:

:lol: That's actually not me, I'm sorry to disappoint! Evidently I have a twin :colone:
Reply 135
Original post by ed-
If it wasn't controversial, why would there be prejudice?

There's predjudice towards people because of the colour of their skin, so is being black/asian or whatever controversial?

Original post by ed-
It's controversial because transgender people claim they're born in the wrong body and that it's not a lifestyle choice, but there's yet to see any credible scientific evidence for this.

I'm sure we could both argue forever on this in particular but for now lets just accept some people are gay, some are straight and some are trans.

Original post by ed-
The reason I'm taking issue with this is that generally, I don't care. It's not until people start claiming that there's an issue so that they can wave their views in your face that I see a problem. Such as now. Such as gay pride marches.

On gay pride marches, to me at least I see it more as saying that there is nothing wrong with being LGBT and that people should not behave with prejudice towards others. All over the world people get persecuted for being LGBT and I see gay pride marches as almost saying "screw what they think of you, embrace who you are." :smile:

And I see your a conservative, sometimes sterotypes just play themselves out.
This is merely a linguistic problem. If someone defines a women as someone with a vagina and a man someone with a penis and anyone else who has a mixture of the two or neither as trans then she would be classed as a women because she only thinks to herself as a man whereas from that definition she wouldn't be transsexual. It depends on your outlook of sex and how you define it.
I'd say you look like a younger guy - maybe ever so slightly feminine looking (and I can't stress that enough) - if I passed you in the street I'd certainly say you were a man though :smile:. I'd certainly be extremely surprised if you told me you were a FTM Transsexual - I guess that answers your question.
Reply 138
Original post by Beady
There's predjudice towards people because of the colour of their skin, so is being black/asian or whatever controversial?

I'm sure we could both argue forever on this in particular but for now lets just accept some people are gay, some are straight and some are trans.

On gay pride marches, to me at least I see it more as saying that there is nothing wrong with being LGBT and that people should not behave with prejudice towards others. All over the world people get persecuted for being LGBT and I see gay pride marches as almost saying "screw what they think of you, embrace who you are." :smile:

And I see your a conservative, sometimes sterotypes just play themselves out.

Well your second point speaks for itself as regards to the controversial part...
It sounds like you're starting to think I myself am against gay and trans people. This isn't the case. I just don't think there's a need for it to be advertised - 1st, because this is a forum where it doesn't matter what you are and 2nd because it provokes a sensative issue.
It's like standing up and saying, "society accepts me, I dare you to say something" (same goes for gay pride).

Again, I'm not against it, people can be what they want. It's just when people seem to like drawing attention to it and standing out, then claiming that it's an issue because people notice, and discriminate.

Acting upon prejudice (a preconceived view) is discrimination.
I am FTM transgender [female to male]

I was wondering how well I pass...I get very self conscious out in public sometimes.

http://i41.tinypic.com/htahl5.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/f39ysw.jpg

I think you pass pretty well, the eyebrows in particular are very masculine. I think the average person would be totally unaware. I can imagine sometimes a few may mistake you for a very butch lesbian and perhaps lgbt* people who are more educated about trans*folk may be more aware but on the whole I think you pass just fine. You look great actually :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending