The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Open it and have a look. If it smells funny or something, then best not to. But otherwise it will probably be fine. Just make sure you heat it properly, and try a bit first. If it tastes funny when you eat it, leave it. But one day is hardly anything, so I wouldn't worry about it. If it was a week or something, that's different, but a day, you should be fine. Use your common sense when looking at it.
Reply 2
Yes.
cheers guys.

I generally ALWAYS fling things if they are out of date, but I really wanted to try this curry lol
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
No, you will almost certainly die an extremely painful and slow death.

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Marks and Spencer's "Full for Longer" Keralan Chicken Curry with Spiced Samosa Crust.
Use by Date : 21st Feb 2012

What do you reckon? Should I risk it, seen as how it's only a day out of date, or should I fling it given that it's poultry?

I say yes, I worked there for 6 years and most of their products are good to eat for even a few more days. If the packaging is swelling up (carbon dioxide from respiring bacteria), smells or looks bad; then don't bother.

Remember the best before date is simply that; the product is at its best quality used before that date but there is nothing saying that it's not good after that. Its an educated estimate.
Reply 6
yeah, shoving it through the microwave will kill all the germs :smile:
Reply 7
It will certainly be safe. Supermarkets put dates on that are substantially before their actual use by date.
Original post by Vox0
I say yes, I worked there for 6 years and most of their products are good to eat for even a few more days. If the packaging is swelling up (carbon dioxide from respiring bacteria), smells or looks bad; then don't bother.

Remember the best before date is simply that; the product is at its best quality used before that date but there is nothing saying that it's not good after that. Its an educated estimate.

I do know that about BBE dates, but it's a Use By, not a Best Before, which I generally thought was different.

The packaging isn't swelling so maybe it'll be okay. I'll open it and have a look.

Cheers for the advice :smile:
If I see one more of these threads I may have to bang my head against a brick wall....

It's fine, it is one day past some arbitrary numbers on the packet, supermarkets put those earlier than actually needed to cover their backs against people getting food poisoning. It is not a scientifically calculated number.

It does not suddenly turn into food shaped poison on the stroke of midnight of the day after the use by date.

It is a ready meal that is in a sealed packet, kept in the fridge and you will be heating it thoroughly. IT WILL BE FINE.

Tip for the future, if something is past it's use by date, open it and smell it, if it smells fine, eat it.

I'm sorry if I sound patronising but I can't bear food wastage just because some people don't use their common sense.
It will probably kill you slowly and painfully by rotting you from the inside out.
Original post by roodootoo

it's an oven bake only one - in like a foil tray thing. Still, ovens get hot.

:facepalm:
cheers guys.

I generally ALWAYS fling things if they are out of date, but I really wanted to try this curry lol

In future don't do this, actually open and smell them to check, you're wasting your money and the energy that has gone into growing, preparing, packaging and transporting the food.
Reply 14

What germs ? :biggrin:
Original post by Historophilia
If I see one more of these threads I may have to bang my head against a brick wall....

It's fine, it is one day past some arbitrary numbers on the packet, supermarkets put those earlier than actually needed to cover their backs against people getting food poisoning. It is not a scientifically calculated number.

It does not suddenly turn into food shaped poison on the stroke of midnight of the day after the use by date.

It is a ready meal that is in a sealed packet, kept in the fridge and you will be heating it thoroughly. IT WILL BE FINE.

Tip for the future, if something is past it's use by date, open it and smell it, if it smells fine, eat it.

I'm sorry if I sound patronising but I can't bear food wastage just because some people don't use their common sense.

Well, I've been subjected to food poisoning in the past - twice as it happens (not by my own food, may I add) so I thought I'd get a bit of opinion on it, that's all.

By all means though, if it makes you feel better, bang your head against a brick wall.
Reply 16
cheers guys.

I eat foods that are two, sometimes three days out of date all the time. So long as they are still fresh and taste as I expect, there's no need to throw it out!
Reply 17
I'd probably eat it since it's only one day out of date. I've done that before and been absolutely fine. Don't spicy things last longer anyway? Anyway, if you're really worrying about it, better just to leave it, but I'm sure it's fine if you do decide to eat it.
Reply 18
I have had stuff that is 3 or 4 days out of date many times, and nothing bad has ever happened. Just open, smell , inspect it and

execute (either bin or eat). This actually reminds me. I have a pack of meat balls that is marked the 18th and plan to cook it for dinner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Yeah definitely. Sell buy and use buy dates aren't set in stone. Best way to tell if something's good to eat is just give it a wiff!

I'm sure by nuking something in a microwave you could probably get away with eating your dead hamster that's buried in the garden!

Latest