The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i dont. i never did. and the whole i bet the crap out of rihanna just confirmed my feelings. i dont like him as a person. dont find him attractive.

but .... i really do like that song i can transform ya :frown:
Reply 161
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
Because I don't like Rihanna.
So I salute him for what he did.
Really, she's sort of asking for it anyway, with her public actions.

Oh right, your question was why people (still) liked him. I don't. I just prefer him to Rihanna.
Also, the police report just confirms that she's stupid.

I don't like Rihanna either and I think that she used the incident to promote her next album after it happened and I think that they were probably both beating each other up on a frequent basis(but this night went further than usual) but NO ONE deserves for that to happen to them. I can tell from what you're saying that you've never had domestic violence in your family but if you did, then you wouldn't run around making moronic comments like that. SMH
Bare girls up in here thread gonna end up in abusive relationships when they're older judging by some of the replies.
Original post by mc1000
It makes you less intelligent because the music is less intelligent. The lyrics... the subject matter... the actual musicality. There really is a reason that chavs listen to dance/ RnB; whilst, conversely, studies have shown that the most intelligent people often listen to metal and/ or classical.

How about nice diverse 42-minute prog epic by Dream Theater, or a deeply-moving 30-minute adagio by Gustav Mahler? Most people would get bored of both of these very quickly because they don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it; yet in reality it's some of the most insightful, talented, multi-faceted and relevant music out there. It deals with real emotions and philosophies; not the kind of stuff you find in RnB, like "Dat girl so hot man". Good music is intelligent, in many different ways, and is therefore the polar opposite to Chris Brown (or indeed Rihanna).

Your ignorance is outstanding.

Not everyone who listens to RnB are chavs (take my friend - major RnB fanatic with an investment banker dad and accountant mother who attends a boarding school and speaks ever so eloquently). You are unbelievably stereotypical. Also not every RnB song is like 'dat girl so hot man' some of the songs have interesting lyrics. Even then, do you think songs with lyrics such as 'dat girl i wanna bang her doe' makes everyone who listens to the song go round talking in the style of the song? If I listen to a song with 'dat girl i wanna bang her doe' it doesn't mean that I'm going to start talking like that.

'Good music is intelligent in many different ways' - I'm sorry, since when were you the official decider of what is good music or not? Are you that stupid to not realise that 'good music' entirely depends on what the individual thinks is good music? Do you think that everyone likes the same music as you?

'Don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it' - Maybe they just don't enjoy it. Again, not everyone APPRECIATES THE SAME THING. How does this mean that they are any lesser in terms of mental capacity? Do you not comprehend that we are all different?

Also one thing I have noticed is what most fans of RnB are attracted to are the actual beats of the song. They don't really seem to take in the lyrics, though some do.

I know plenty of intelligent people who listen to RnB and Rap. That is just their music taste and they ENJOY that music but it doesn't mean they're any less intelligent. A dumb person could have classical or metal music as a favourite genre.

Btw, I know someone who loves metal music and isn't exactly the brightest person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
They're not very bright.
Original post by + polarity -

I don't see it.

That kitty in your sig is awesome.
Reply 166
Normally with music I'd say it's not about the messenger it's about his message. But what's Chris Brown's message? "Bitch, I'm gonna woop you upside the head"?
Reply 167
Because he makes great music and has a bangin' bod.

Countless male celebs have beaten women in the past, but people sill love them & want to work with them, i.e; Sean Connery.
Reply 168
Original post by Girl4907856
Your ignorance is outstanding.

Not everyone who listens to RnB are chavs (take my friend - major RnB fanatic with an investment banker dad and accountant mother who attends a boarding school and speaks ever so eloquently). You are unbelievably stereotypical. Also not every RnB song is like 'dat girl so hot man' some of the songs have interesting lyrics. Even then, do you think songs with lyrics such as 'dat girl i wanna bang her doe' makes everyone who listens to the song go round talking in the style of the song? If I listen to a song with 'dat girl i wanna bang her doe' it doesn't mean that I'm going to start talking like that.

'Good music is intelligent in many different ways' - I'm sorry, since when were you the official decider of what is good music or not? Are you that stupid to not realise that 'good music' entirely depends on what the individual thinks is good music? Do you think that everyone likes the same music as you?

'Don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it' - Maybe they just don't enjoy it. Again, not everyone APPRECIATES THE SAME THING. How does this mean that they are any lesser in terms of mental capacity? Do you not comprehend that we are all different?

Also one thing I have noticed is what most fans of RnB are attracted to are the actual beats of the song. They don't really seem to take in the lyrics, though some do.

I know plenty of intelligent people who listen to RnB and Rap. That is just their music taste and they ENJOY that music but it doesn't mean they're any less intelligent. A dumb person could have classical or metal music as a favourite genre.

Btw, I know someone who loves metal music and isn't exactly the brightest person.

You clearly haven't read the other points I made...

Originally Posted by Forget that
No no no no, you make some decent points with 'limited attention span' but really i refuse to acknowledge the genre of music you listen to automatically determines how clever you are. In terms of POP (and R&B, both have basically become the same thing) they can certainly be described as having a negative affect on music as a whole, but of course people (mainly 13 year girls) want to dance to it, and no, not everyone who likes to dance is a 'chav'

Also, i would just like to be controversial and say Rap is very intelligent. Not all rappers talk about drugs and cars, if you actually listen to lyrics you will be amazed at the double meanings, the extended metaphors and wordplay they use to... well.. destroy each other on tracks (which is what rap fundamentally is) As a potential English student i find it useful to listen to- helps to find conceits in poems. Anyway, each to their own

I agree it doesn't automatically determine intelligence; that would just be moronic to actually genuinely believe that. I'd have assumed that more people would have noticed my trolling...

That said, there is certainly a correlation in intelligence depending upon taste in music. No doubt about that. Copied and pasted from page 4:

Originally Posted by Wilfred Little
I agree with you in parts but most of that post was baseless generalisation. I enjoy some R'n'B, most of what I listen to is Hip-Hop and there are some real thinkers and innovators in Hip-Hop.

The reason chavs listen to what they listen to is because they aren't intelligent enough, for the most part, to look for their own music, the music itself does not make them stupid; they already are. Chavs are followers, not leaders. People who are intelligent listen to what they listen to in spite of their intelligence, not because of it, there are intelligent people who listen to Dance and R'n'B for example. Intelligent people think for themselves, so they don't need their opinion or taste in music validated by those around them or the TV or whatever.

Artsy-fartsy student music types who think they are some cultured music moguls really do my tits in. This does not apply to you specifically but if you think there is no intelligence in Hip-Hop or that people who listen to it aren't intelligent, this does apply to you.

Saying that, I've never met an intelligent person who listens to Rihanna.

Yeah I'm aware it's a generalisation, but that was kind of the point. It's a generalisation because it's generally true.

Without knowing all that much about hip-hop in the grand scheme of things, I'll take your word for it that there is some intelligent hip-hop out there. My post was intended to be taken with a pinch of salt; you might say that I was trolling to an extent. That's not to say I've ever heard any intelligent hip-hop, though, and I've heard plenty of popular hip-hop. I think this is probably reflective of the majority of hip-hop fans, the people through whom popular (thick) hip-hop actually becomes popular in the first place. With this logic, the average intelligence of a hip-hop fan is lower than that of, say, a fan of late romantic classical music, who has the intelligence to notice the beautiful harmonies and melodic sophistication of something by Mahler or Dvorak. And for this reason, a hip-hop fan is statistically far more likely than the late-romantic classical music fan to have a below-average IQ - although I do admit that there is a social factor in this as well.

Also, not meaning to be arrogant, but I actually am a cultured music mogul. :P

To sum up: my original post was generalising on purpose; I was kind of trolling. However, that said, there does appear to be a general correlation between intelligence and music taste. For example, you never see chavs who listen to Dream Theater or Opeth (progressive metal), or Gustav Mahler (late romantic classical) etc; and the statistical proportion of less-intelligent people (who aren't necessarily chavs) listening to this music, is non-representatively low. Whereas plenty of chavs listen to Chris Brown/ Rihanna etc; and the proportion of thick people who listen to this music appears to be more reflective of the very high proportion of thick people within the general population.

EDIT: One metal band (Meshuggah) has had an academic journal article written about their music; specifically the complex polyrhythms.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/10.1525/mts.2007.29.2.219

If that's not proof of this music being musically intelligent, as opposed to RnB, I don't know what is.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest