The Student Room Group

American Studies Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by awais590
I'm guessing it's about America, which you could learn in your spare time?

Honey, are you actually applying for uni because that was a really an ignorant and lets face it stupid comment, I study it now at a RUSSELL GROUP UNI and they obviously wouldn't include it if they didn't think it was worth it. In this course you have modules in History, Literature and Politics and you gain skills from ALL THREE which in some degrees you lack. Of course it's about America but have you not studied history about Germany or Russia... so why not learn and study about American History... Civil Rights, The Great Depression, 9/11.
Educate yourself next time x
Reply 41
For American Studies

Nottingham - Offer
Hull - Offer
Liecester - Rejection

Went to Hull Applicant Day yesterday, Nottingham next week. Hull was really friendly, if Nottingham is friendly and feels good I'll be firming Nottingham. Though Hull does have some really good things going for it.
Original post by foodjunkie
Honey, are you actually applying for uni because that was a really an ignorant and lets face it stupid comment, I study it now at a RUSSELL GROUP UNI and they obviously wouldn't include it if they didn't think it was worth it. In this course you have modules in History, Literature and Politics and you gain skills from ALL THREE which in some degrees you lack. Of course it's about America but have you not studied history about Germany or Russia... so why not learn and study about American History... Civil Rights, The Great Depression, 9/11.
Educate yourself next time x

I agree so much :smile: Totally true, it also leads to a range of careers at the end of it, the connotation that it's a stupid degree is being bred by uneducated people who fail to research it! xx
Reply 43
Just firmed Nottingham! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by eve484

Did you attend the Nottingham Ucas Open Day? I went and thought the course seemed great, and the style of the university is beautiful - green! Pretty confident that I will be firming this within the next week.
Reply 45
Original post by Philraw123
Did you attend the Nottingham Ucas Open Day? I went and thought the course seemed great, and the style of the university is beautiful - green! Pretty confident that I will be firming this within the next week.

Yeah, I went yesterday, everything was really great; the course, the campus, I really like how everything is nicely spread out. Where else have you looked at?
Reply 46
Original post by eve484
Yeah, I went yesterday, everything was really great; the course, the campus, I really like how everything is nicely spread out. Where else have you looked at?

Been to Hull, Birmingham and Nottingham. Nottingham is by far my favourite; I agree, it's a large campus however it's nicely spread and I was just amazed by the University Park!

Where else did you apply to - you on the 4 year American and Canadian Literature, History and Culture?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Just been rejected by Warwick :frown:
Reply 48
Been to Hull, Birmingham and Nottingham. Nottingham is by far my favourite; I agree, it's a large campus however it's nicely spread and I was just amazed by the University Park!

Where else did you apply to - you on the 4 year American and Canadian Literature, History and Culture?

I applied to birmingham, warwick, essex and leicester which was my second choice. I just applied for accommodation of University Park, so really excited now! I'm on the 3 year course w/ semester abroad.
Reply 49
Original post by eve484
I applied to birmingham, warwick, essex and leicester which was my second choice. I just applied for accommodation of University Park, so really excited now! I'm on the 3 year course w/ semester abroad.

I've put University Park Campus with large single study as my preferred choice; the area is beautiful! Are you a member of the 'Nottingham 2012 firmers' on Facebook?
Reply 50
I've put University Park Campus with large single study as my preferred choice; the area is beautiful! Are you a member of the 'Nottingham 2012 firmers' on Facebook?

Same, I chose single/large single study, either'll do. Yep joined last week
Reply 51
Hi, did anyone go to the Birmingham Applicant Day on Saturday?
Reply 52
Original post by eve484

Hi, What helped you to make your decision about firming Nottingham? I have offers from Nottingham and Leicester but I can't decide between the two :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by SDNY24
Hi, What helped you to make your decision about firming Nottingham? I have offers from Nottingham and Leicester but I can't decide between the two :smile:

Hey, I found it really hard to decide as I really loved Leicester and I was more familiar with it, but in the end I figured that Nottingham was probably better suited for me as I wanted a big uni, I really enjoyed the taster lectures and employment prospects looked better in Nottingham, I also know 3 people who've gone to Notts to study American Studies who like it there. I haven't been to Nottingham Uni as much so I'm going to the open days this year to look at the city too. Hope this helps, sorry I didn't reply sooner :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest