The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Do any Americans apply to Manchester/Liverpool university?
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Do any Americans apply to Manchester/Liverpool university?

I applied to Manc (see sig) but I doubt I'll go to the UK for undergrad since my degree plans have changed, and I want the flexibility of changing my degree/major that an American university would have. Nothing against the university itself, though. In fact, they're coming to my state and I might go just for the hell of it since they've been very communicative through e-mails and don't hesitate to send me information via post. Some places in America have stopped printing admissions decisions altogether and handle everything online.
Original post by I Kant Spall
I applied to Manc (see sig) but I doubt I'll go to the UK for undergrad since my degree plans have changed, and I want the flexibility of changing my degree/major that an American university would have. Nothing against the university itself, though. In fact, they're coming to my state and I might go just for the hell of it since they've been very communicative through e-mails and don't hesitate to send me information via post. Some places in America have stopped printing admissions decisions altogether and handle everything online.

Ah, that's good to see that they have good links with America. I know they have exchange programmes with UNC, Maryland - College Park, Arizona state, NC state, Uni of California and a few others, oh Massachusetts as well. I was just wondering what their reputation was like in America, or even if they had one :tongue:
Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
'Apparently' I am smart :P but its just that I don't practice Math enough, and my sister was like I should... :P

No but I THINK I am capable of performing well in the APs though... :biggrin: -Plus I am taking the ones that interest me..I could have taken AP Cal but well I am not doing that great in Alg 2 this year so I decided for Data Analysis...I could have taken AP Stat but Data Analysis is like an introduction to Stat for half a year....

Ok, so I know you've been posting a number of questions about AP subjects, SATs, ACTs and a few other things for quite some time now.... and that's great because you're a sophomore, and it's definitely time for you to start thinking about college and to start planning your future out.

That said, this is only March of your sophomore year. For one thing, you still have a ton of time to think through your plans and make any changes if the need be. Furthermore, I think it's more important that you keep some of your options open, rather than to plan your next five years precisely brick by brick. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), you have a general sense of what you want to do, but you don't really have a precise course you want to study. And (again, if I recall correctly) neither have you had the chance to pre-expose yourself to your field through internships and other job shadowings. So who knows if you'll hate AP Econ or AP Lang or AP Stats? And who knows what you'll score for your AP subjects in your junior year?

My point is this: it's good to have a general sense of what you need for your field of studies, but unless you know exactly which course and which university you wish to apply for, don't delve into the specifics. Just focus on your studies, plan your future in the general direction, and when it's actually time for you to apply, look through your options carefully and choose wisely. But at this point, with due respect, I think it will be better if you focus more on your GPA than SATs and ACTs and all these AP subjects if you ever plan on applying to the States.
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Ok, so I know you've been posting a number of questions about AP subjects, SATs, ACTs and a few other things for quite some time now.... and that's great because you're a sophomore, and it's definitely time for you to start thinking about college and to start planning your future out.

That said, this is only March of your sophomore year. For one thing, you still have a ton of time to think through your plans and make any changes if the need be. Furthermore, I think it's more important that you keep some of your options open, rather than to plan your next five years precisely brick by brick. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), you have a general sense of what you want to do, but you don't really have a precise course you want to study. And (again, if I recall correctly) neither have you had the chance to pre-expose yourself to your field through internships and other job shadowings. So who knows if you'll hate AP Econ or AP Lang or AP Stats? And who knows what you'll score for your AP subjects in your junior year?

My point is this: it's good to have a general sense of what you need for your field of studies, but unless you know exactly which course and which university you wish to apply for, don't delve into the specifics. Just focus on your studies, plan your future in the general direction, and when it's actually time for you to apply, look through your options carefully and choose wisely. But at this point, with due respect, I think it will be better if you focus more on your GPA than SATs and ACTs and all these AP subjects if you ever plan on applying to the States.

Thanks man :biggrin:
Are any of you who have been accepted to UK universities having trouble convincing your parents to allow you to study abroad? My parents are set on me studying here in Canada, but studying in the UK is something I have really worked for and am passionate about doing!
I know not all schools have sent out acceptances / rejections yet, but how are people feeling about decisions from American universities? Wanting to sound your barbaric yawps over the rooftops of the world :yay:? Wanting to attack an admissions officer with a tire iron and some help from your trusty ninja sidekick :ninja:?

Hope everyone's news has been at least mostly good!
Original post by teamnoether
I know not all schools have sent out acceptances / rejections yet, but how are people feeling about decisions from American universities?

Psh, I'm personally devastated. Been meaning to make a thread about it here since collegeconfidential, while helpful at times, is cold and impersonal. I got rejected/waitlisted everywhere and after 2 gap years filled with volunteering and extracurriculars built around my prospective major, on top of working 20-30 hours a week as the only person in my household with a job, this is the worst thing that could have happened.

My stats were decent enough (31 ACT, relevant subject tests > 700, multiple APs at 4 and 5) but not even flagship state U took me in. Something about my app must've been off I'm afraid. White male from New England who went to Catholic school... :frown:

How'd everyone else fare? Couldn't be worse than me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Psh, I'm personally devastated. Been meaning to make a thread about it here since collegeconfidential, while helpful at times, is cold and impersonal. I got rejected/waitlisted everywhere and after 2 gap years filled with volunteering and extracurriculars built around my prospective major, on top of working 20-30 hours a week as the only person in my household with a job, this is the worst thing that could have happened.

My stats were decent enough (31 ACT, relevant subject tests > 700, multiple APs at 4 and 5) but not even flagship state U took me in. Something about my app must've been off I'm afraid. White male from New England who went to Catholic school... :frown:

I'm really, really sorry to hear that. With those scores, I think you must be right that something on your applications was amiss. :console:

If you write a letter to the places that have waitlisted you, it can definitely help your chances of being accepted off the waitlist. I'd be happy to provide some suggestions for said letter if it would help at all.

I did nearly as bad (and had similar stats)- I was only accepted by my safety school (DePaul) and got two waitlists and two rejections. I'm not too upset, though, because this just means I am definitely going to the UK :biggrin:
Original post by teamnoether
I'm really, really sorry to hear that. With those scores, I think you must be right that something on your applications was amiss. :console:

If you write a letter to the places that have waitlisted you, it can definitely help your chances of being accepted off the waitlist. I'd be happy to provide some suggestions for said letter if it would help at all.

Did that with William and Mary and Duke last year! Ultimately withdrew from both waitlists, but they did acknowledge the receipt of my letter. Never hurts to give it a shot! :smile:
Hi, I'm a junior hoping to apply to Oxford next year, what do I need to know? I've done a bit of research, but the whole UCAS application system is very daunting to me - there's a significant number of acronyms I have to leave blank on my application. I am hoping to enter a course in History/Politics for undergrad, then travel back to the States to enter law school. In addition to (obviously) Oxford, where else should I look into? Please offer guidance, thanks.
Original post by thesmiter
Hi, I'm a junior hoping to apply to Oxford next year, what do I need to know? I've done a bit of research, but the whole UCAS application system is very daunting to me - there's a significant number of acronyms I have to leave blank on my application. I am hoping to enter a course in History/Politics for undergrad, then travel back to the States to enter law school. In addition to (obviously) Oxford, where else should I look into? Please offer guidance, thanks.

History or Politics? Those are very different fields of study. Do you mean the Joint Honours of both Modern History and Politics? I just need to know this because obviously there are differently ranked unis for different subjects...

On another note: why not do Law? In the UK you can do Law/Medicine/Dentistry/etc. in your undergraduate, as opposed to the system of getting an undergraduate "buffer" degree in North America
Either or both. But preferably both. Similar to what a double major in History/PolSci would be in America. If taking Law in the UK lets me practice law in the states, that's also an option. But if it doesn't, then I'd prefer the History course.
Original post by rockinrobin337
Are any of you who have been accepted to UK universities having trouble convincing your parents to allow you to study abroad? My parents are set on me studying here in Canada, but studying in the UK is something I have really worked for and am passionate about doing!

I had some trouble convincing my mom but she seems to be coming around and getting more used to that idea. I think what has been helping is that I mention the option fairly frequently and, occasionally, when she mentions university, i will say a reason why studying in the UK will be better or more advantageous.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by rockinrobin337

Yeah, my parents weren't especially keen on sending me over after not getting in my top choices but... I also missed the date for Canadian uni applications (partly purposely, partly accidentally) so really there's not much choice. :tongue: besides, they know how much I want to go there.
Reply 4096

The deadline for applications to Oxford is October 15th, so you'll want to get started on your Personal Statement sometime over the summer.

For History and Politics, which is a joint major course at Oxford, you'll need to write a 2000 word essay and send it in. You'll also need to take a History Aptitude Test. Register for this early, and check repeatedly to ensure that you have been registered. I left mine somewhat late, and the person who said she'd registered me hadn't :mad:, and luckily I managed to register myself on the last day, like an hour before the deadline.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/written_work/written_work.html (for the essay)

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
@Dnibara: Thanks for the response. I've marked down the earlier application due date in my calendar. The personal statement is different from American universities in that it's supposed to describe your interests in the subject, right? And this is different from the American statement, which focuses on your achievements in general.

I checked out the 2000 word essay - the page implies that it should be some form of schoolwork. So does that mean I should submit an original history class homework essay (most likely an FRQ or DBQ)? Or do I have to write an entirely different essay?

As for the History Aptitude Test, did you take yours at school? How should I go about registering? Thanks for all your help.
Reply 4098
@Dnibara: Thanks for the response. I've marked down the earlier application due date in my calendar. The personal statement is different from American universities in that it's supposed to describe your interests in the subject, right? And this is different from the American statement, which focuses on your achievements in general.

I checked out the 2000 word essay - the page implies that it should be some form of schoolwork. So does that mean I should submit an original history class homework essay (most likely an FRQ or DBQ)? Or do I have to write an entirely different essay?

As for the History Aptitude Test, did you take yours at school? How should I go about registering? Thanks for all your help.

Yeah the personal statement is supposed to be about why you are passionate for that subject and things you have done to show that passion, like internships or competitions (if you ever did NHD, that might be a good thing to put down).

I applied for Economics & Management, so I didn't have to write an essay and I 'm not really sure what it's supposed to be. The site said "Written work should have been produced as part of normal school or college work, and marked by a teacher", so I'm pretty sure it's just a school essay. I'm pretty sure you can't write something specifically for Oxford; it has to be one of your school assignments.

For the HAT, you're supposed to get your school to register as a testing centre, after which you would take the test there. My school didn't want to register itself, so I had to take the test at a nearby test centre. If your school doesn't register itself, contact the people administering the test and ask them for help, and they'll probably find you a centre somewhere close by.
There's probably some contact info on this site - http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/hat

Also, when you reply to this, hit the quote button at the bottom right of this post. It'll make it easier for me to find it
I realize I am super late, but I'm a junior in the US and I am interested in applying to universities in the UK because unlike the US universities, the UK ones seem more geared towards students with a clear path in mind. I am thinking of applying to LSE, and possibly Warwick. I would love to double major in Economics and Political Science, and continue my chinese studies, although I am not sure whether LSE or Warwick offer Chinese. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

Thanks so much in advance (:

Quick Reply

Latest