The Student Room Group

Dropping out and reapplying?

I'm in my first year at Bath Spa University studying Religion and Philosophy. I immediately disliked Philosophy and I've now changed to straight Religion but it doesn't take affect until next year. I was hoping this would make me more excited for Uni next year but now the modules I wanted to do aren't running next year.

I originaly wanted to be a nurse or midwife but was persuaded not to apply as "it is a very competitive course". I often regret not applying but now I'm worried about my financial state if I dropped out. Would I have to repay the first years tuition fees and maintenance loan straight away? I've also put a deposit down on a house to live in next year and am worried I would lose it completely, even if I found someone to take over my room?

Then there's the possibily that I wouldn't get accepted into the nursing course as not only am I past the deadline but I am also short of one grade that they ask for - I had BCC and the one Uni I would consider asks for BBC and another is BBB. Are there any ways of getting around this?

I appreciate you may not know all of the answers to my questions but any advice would be greatly helpful. I also realise there are many threads like this one but none seem to ask about my specific questions.
Thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I wanna do this :cry2:

If it's just mere regret every now and then wondering 'what would it have been like' then stick with your course but if it's actually that you absolutely detest what you study at the moment and can't see yourself as anything but a nurse then it's probably best not to put yourself through your current course. Saying that, however, I don't think there are any ways of getting around the entry requirements considering that nursing is indeed a very popular course.
Reply 2
Personally I would advise carrying on with your course and applying to graduate nurse training, especially if you're worried about not meeting A Level entry requirements.
Reply 3
I dropped out and reapplied and can honestly say that it was the best decision I ever made and I have not regretted it for a second. In terms of finance, the only thing that you need to repay straight away are any grants that you get (i.e. the stuff that you would'nt have to pay back if you stayed), any other maintence loans and tuition fees will be added to the debt that you have from SF and you will have to repay it once you're earning over 15K. Bear in mind that if you drop out now, your uni has the right to charge you the full years tuition fees (I dropped out about a month ago and still got charged for 1/2 of the third term). I can't really help you in terms of your housing arrangements for next year as I knew I was leaving so didn't sign anything but I'd imagine you'd lose your deposit. However if you leave your current accommodation (assuming you live in halls here) then you may be entitled to a refund if you've paid a full installment.

What I will say is that if you can't see yourself continuing with your current course or being happy with it, don't do it. What's the point in finishing it and having to fund your own graduate course if you could do it right now. Life's too short to sit around and be miserable doing something you don't enjoy, just do what feels right :smile:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if you don't meet the requirements/work experience then there's nothing to stop you taking a year or two out to boost your application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
The same thing happened to me in that the modules stopped running.If you want to do Religion have you considered changing universities to study the course you want to do doing just religion?

Being a nurse or midwife is very competitive, do you have work experience to back up your application? You wouldn't have to repay the first years tuition fees or loan straight away, but any grants or bursarys you might have to. The deposit you will lose, but read through your contract. For e.g in my flat they say you can drop out any day before you officially move in but you lose your deposit. It is quite difficult to get someone to take over your room in a shared house, but I found the person I wanted to take over from me on gumtree. However I did lose my deposit. I suggest you have a chat with your future landlord.

In my experience the only way of getting round the grade issue is to go through clearing or if you have a LOT of work experience to back up your reasoning for wanting to do nursing.
Reply 5
I am currently a student midwife dropping out in september to do social work! I was so, so worried about dropping out of a course that it so difficult to get into, but it is possibly the best decision I have ever made for myself. It is unlikely that you would get a place for september 2012, especially not for midwifery, although it is more possible for nursing. So, I would advise applying for september 2013 and my suggestion would be that because you need work experience to apply for nursing and midwifery, that you spend the next year getting work experience. This way maybe you could get around the house situation by getting a job that pays the rent, and spending some time when you're not working getting some work experience. It is sad that you were put off nursing/midwifery by the competition, unfortunately it seems a lot of people are told not to apply because of the competition. Although I am dropping out because it is not for me, I have seen from other people on my course that if it is really what you want to do, then despite the hard work you will love it!

First of all, about the grades for the entry requirements. Assuming you are finishing and passing the first year of your current degree, you will get a certificate of higher education. This combined with the fact that you weren't far off in your A Levels is quite likely to be enough for the universities you apply to, but check with them first.

I'm afraid I have no advice about the house. As far as I am aware with student finance, you will not immediately have to pay it back. For nursing and midwifery, the tuition fees are paid by the NHS and you are eligible for a bursary (that you don't have to pay back) from the NHS, although the amount you receive will depend on your household income (unless you are in Wales, where it is non-means tested).

Quick Reply