The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
Revision is going well on my part. Just finished writing down some exam questions from the DNA topics that I think could pop up in the exam. I'm referring to chapter 14 and 16 in the book :tongue:

What book are you using?
Original post by LifeIsGood
What book are you using?

nelson thornes :tongue:
My Unit 5 revision is going well, but I need to go over Unit 1, 2 and 4 yet. :frown:
Reply 163
Original post by Onee-chan
Just wondering but can we get 16 marks for the scientific content by listing 16 relevant points? Do we have to write about every topic that's ever covered in A-level biology to gain the 3 breadth marks?

I'm really scared about the essay! Does anyone have any sample titles we can go through?

Thanks! :biggrin:

My Bio teacher gave me the low down today. Marking goes up in even numbers for the scientific content. So you can get 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

In terms of the content, you should cover 8-10 areas if possible. With each area, say what it is and expand. Say, for diffusion, you could get a mark for talking about Fick's Law and another mark for giving an example, such as gas exchange in the lungs. For each topic area you cover, there is a maximum of two marks on offer. So don't go on and on about a point because you won't get any more marks for it!! Each point should be a paragraph, no longer than 10 lines.

So, to answer your question. No. :P
Reply 164
I was going through the list of synoptic things we need to learn, and for unit 2, it said

The biochemical basis and cellular organisation of life is similar for all organisms

Does anyone know what the bit in bold is referring to?
Original post by Nuss
I was going through the list of synoptic things we need to learn, and for unit 2, it said

You have a list of all the synoptic things we need to learn? Do share... or is it just specification points?
Making some notes on regulation of body temperature in the Homeostasis chapter.

The menstrual cycle is a killer, learning which hormones inhibit other hormones (LH, FSH, Oestrogen, Progesterone)
Original post by James A
Making some notes on regulation of body temperature in the Homeostasis chapter.

The menstrual cycle is a killer, learning which hormones inhibit other hormones (LH, FSH, Oestrogen, Progesterone)

Ahh, you just reminded me I need to make some notes on Muscle Contraction. :biggrin:
Reply 168
Original post by NutterFrutter
You have a list of all the synoptic things we need to learn? Do share... or is it just specification points?

Just the Biological principles bit at the end of each unit where it says
Understanding of these principles may be tested in Units 5 and 6
Original post by Nuss
Just the Biological principles bit at the end of each unit where it says

Ahhh, ok.
Original post by Elzie
My Bio teacher gave me the low down today. Marking goes up in even numbers for the scientific content. So you can get 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

In terms of the content, you should cover 8-10 areas if possible. With each area, say what it is and expand. Say, for diffusion, you could get a mark for talking about Fick's Law and another mark for giving an example, such as gas exchange in the lungs. For each topic area you cover, there is a maximum of two marks on offer. So don't go on and on about a point because you won't get any more marks for it!! Each point should be a paragraph, no longer than 10 lines.

So, to answer your question. No. :P

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Original post by Nuss

Might be talking about fats, CHO and proteins, in that the same (or similar) monomers are used in all organisms. :redface:
Reply 172
Original post by James A
Revision is going well on my part. Just finished writing down some exam questions from the DNA topics that I think could pop up in the exam. I'm referring to chapter 14 and 16 in the book :tongue:

Hi,
could please kindly share what qs you think could pop up in the exam?

Thanks
Original post by NutterFrutter
Ahh, you just reminded me I need to make some notes on Muscle Contraction. :biggrin:

Muscle Contractions are ultimately aided by ATP and ADP on the myosin heads haha, you can't escape the realm of ATP muhahahaha :rofl:
Reply 174
Does anyone know what you'd write for an essay on the Biological importance of water?
Original post by Nuss
Does anyone know what you'd write for an essay on the Biological importance of water?

Oh my, that would be a lovely essay, so many possibilities. Just think of where water crops up in each unit and it's in quite a few places. :biggrin:
Reply 176
Original post by Nuss

You can write about anything really, as long as you can concisely link it to water! So, you could talk about condensation/hydrolysis reactions, osmosis and water potential, photolysis.. Maybe even gas exchange in fish and the role of water! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! :biggrin:
Reply 177
Hey:smile: sorry to break the conversation about essays, I was just wondering if anyone had the 2009 past paper for this unit 5? Because I'm sure there will be one, however my teacher mentioned that 2009 was for the old syllabus re-sits...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by sydney07
Hey:smile: sorry to break the conversation about essays, I was just wondering if anyone had the 2009 past paper for this unit 5? Because I'm sure there will be one, however my teacher mentioned that 2009 was for the old syllabus re-sits...

Hi there. unfortunately, there isn't a unit 5 paper for 2009 based on the current specification. This is because the new spec started in 2009 and the only papers released that year were for AS, not A2. However, if you are looking for more past papers to do, I'd advise doing the old spec papers (and maybe human biology papers) as a significant proportion of it overlaps with this course anyway. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 179
Original post by Nuss

might also be a good idea to get a bit of homeostasis in there too, with sweating and panting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest