The Student Room Group

How to stop a dress blowing up in the wind?

I really want this dress:

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/jade-green-jersey-cowl-neck-dress_251614232

But I'm worried that because of the lightness of the material it will easily blow up in the wind. I don't think it will look as short on me as the model is 6 inches taller than me, but still. I'm thinking I could wear some shorts underneath to preserve my modesty but it might look a bit bumpy underneath the dress.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can get tiny tiny weights that you sew into the hem to stop them flying up in the wind :smile:

They don't even have to be proper ones, you can use flat washers or pennies, although pennies will be a bit heavier and may show.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
If you want to wear shorts underneath, go for some of those slimming shorts you get in primark. Not the knicker ones, the actual shorts ones. They won't look bumpy and at least if it does blow up, nobody will see much.

But I have yet to find a way to stop my skirts/dresses blowing up in the wind :frown: aside from holding it down
Reply 3
I wear a coat that is mid-thigh length, which keeps it down. Or I use my handbag and place it in front of whichever part is in danger of being blown by the wind.
Reply 4
I don't think shorts will look bumpy, not if they're tight ones. Something like this?
Reply 5
Original post by Notwithstanding
Modesty does not need to be preserved!

aha.

I'm no expert, but you could do a The Queen and have something heavy sown to keep it down. The queen uses lead, but pennies'd probably do it.
Original post by Pandabär
I wear a coat that is mid-thigh length, which keeps it down. Or I use my handbag and place it in front of whichever part is in danger of being blown by the wind.

I do this but with a cardigan. If it's windy I just hold it closed or do up a button.
I'm going to get some of those shorts and I'll look for a long cardigan and some point. I was thinking of wearing it with sandals (the strappy toe-post kind) but I really hate having bare legs and you can't wear tights with sandals. Can anyone suggest some nice tan or brown coloured flats that would go with it? No ballerina shoes though, I can't wear those :frown:
tbh if you wear shorts underneath it negates the sexiness of the dress
Do this:

Reply 10
Yes, how many times can a man turn his head, pretending he just doesn't seeeeeee...

...The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind...

...the answer is blowin' in the wind...
Reply 11
sew tiny weights on the bottom or wear tiny cycling shorts
Original post by geetar
Yes, how many times can a man turn his head, pretending he just doesn't seeeeeee...

...The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind...

...the answer is blowin' in the wind...

*chokes*
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Do this:

Haha, if only I had her figure :P
Reply 14
I just hold it down, really, it's rarely windy enough to cause a problem.
Original post by riotgrrl
I just hold it down, really, it's rarely windy enough to cause a problem.

I appear to have some sort of wardrobe malfunction every time I wear a dress, usually involving getting caught in turnstiles at train stations and showing everyone behind me my ass, but I have ceased to give a ****.

Yeah just hold that sucker down.
Reply 16
Not sure how to stop it blowing. But for damage limitation then either some shorts underneath, or to save an extra layer then some plain black shorts-style knickers like these: http://www.johnlewis.com/26836/Product.aspx
I appear to have some sort of wardrobe malfunction every time I wear a dress, usually involving getting caught in turnstiles at train stations and showing everyone behind me my ass, but I have ceased to give a ****.

This is pretty much why I wear shorts most of the time (if not jeans). The whole town centre has already seen my backside and I don't really want a repeat of that!

I've had that happen to me when I'm wearing a kilt.

At least I can prove that it's true what they say about Scotsmen and kilts :sexface:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I've had that happen to me when I'm wearing a kilt.

At least I can prove that it's true what they say about Scotsmen and kilts :sexface:

You're Scottish?

mind = blown

Latest

Trending

Trending