The Student Room Group

Help needed: GCE Edexcel Arabic exam - 22/05/2012

Is anyone taking the AS (Unit 1) Arabic exam next Tuesday? I am kind of panicking about the essay we have to write at the end, my Arabic is really rusty, I haven't practised writing for a long time :s-smilie: Does anyone know what the essay question was for the January 2012 paper + what's the actual word limit for the essay? Some past papers say 180-200 but I am sure I remember my teacher saying it was 250-270? Also, do you think there's any chance of them asking us to write an essay on the Arab Spring? That would be pretty awesome :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i feel exactly the same way about this paper, i like all the questions except for the essay at the end. i haven't got a clue what might come up but apparently as long as the answer is relevant to the question or topic and the quality of language is good, then high marks are easily achieved. there aren't any january papers as far as I'm aware. the word limit is 180-200 words for Unit 1. it is 250-350 for unit 2. hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Uggghhh
Im soooo not ready for this exam
:'(
Reply 3
Original post by d_94
Uggghhh
Im soooo not ready for this exam
:'(

yeah, me neither i wonder what the continuous writing topic will be about? where do you go to study the essay writing (internet)? or do u have books? its the only bit i don't like, and its worth the most marks :'(
Reply 4
The last exam was in June 2011, I will attach the mark scheme and past paper in a second.

I hope you all do well - had to pay 120 pounds to do this retake -_____- :angry:. Don't forget to say bismillah :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by d3st1ny
The last exam was in June 2011, I will attach the mark scheme and past paper in a second.

I hope you all do well - had to pay 120 pounds to do this retake -_____- :angry:. Don't forget to say bismillah :biggrin:

lol, bismillah! thanks a lot but i already have all three papers :biggrin: I'm just worried that i won't have a wide range of hard words (good vocabulary) to use in the essay writing. What did you get last year if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nosh1994
lol, bismillah! thanks a lot but i already have all three papers :biggrin: I'm just worried that i won't have a wide range of hard words (good vocabulary) to use in the essay writing. What did you get last year if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

did terribly, got a C -__-, hopefully better this time, aha!
Reply 7
Original post by d3st1ny
did terribly, got a C -__-, hopefully better this time, aha!

good luck :smile:
are u revising from books or internet or another source?
Reply 8
Original post by nosh1994
i feel exactly the same way about this paper, i like all the questions except for the essay at the end. i haven't got a clue what might come up but apparently as long as the answer is relevant to the question or topic and the quality of language is good, then high marks are easily achieved. there aren't any january papers as far as I'm aware. the word limit is 180-200 words for Unit 1. it is 250-350 for unit 2. hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much, it really did! I am not worried about the topic so much as my content - my Arabic vocab. is seriously limited :s-smilie: I am going to do my best to try and achieve full marks in all the other sections to make up for the essay question at the end, isA things won't go too badly, I actually don't feel so bad after reading everyone else's comments because we all have the same problem so we're all in this together :biggrin: good luck everyone and just remember not to panic :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I hate this, cause my arabic is very limitied, but I have to do this because of my equvilancy, any suggestions?
Reply 10
Original post by d_94
I hate this, cause my arabic is very limitied, but I have to do this because of my equvilancy, any suggestions?

saaame!! What do you mean when you say you have to do this because of your equivalency?
Reply 11
the exam is at 1.30 pm right? (just wanted to double check lol)
Reply 12
God. How is everyone feeling about this exam?
Its soo long!! 2hr 45 mins!! Ughh. Im gonna diee
Reply 13
Original post by Zahirajavaid
Not very confident at all
Intact I'm very very nervous!
I'm convinced I'm ganna fail!
Why couldn't it be something like gcse Arabic!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Sameee heree :'(
Reply 14
inshAllah
I am taking this exam too :smile:. let's hope the essay will be on an interesting topic .
Reply 16
Original post by straw-struck
I am taking this exam too :smile:. let's hope the essay will be on an interesting topic .

yeah, its all about the topic, if the topic is easy then we will have lots of RELEVANT ideas. they give loads of marks for relevancy. i personally hope its gonnna be about drugs or the internet, its something that our age group (teens) is heavily educated about and we can talk about all the pros and cons and the ways in which life has changed.

good luck! 2 and 1/2 hours to go! :smile:

p.s- is anyone also sitting A2 next week?
Hey guys, how did you find it?, i did my exam yesterday at 9am, before most people, and found it quite good actually (alhamdillah)
I was happy with the last question! but i think i wrote way too much!
Would i get marked down for that?
Original post by omarbarca95
Hey guys, how did you find it?, i did my exam yesterday at 9am, before most people, and found it quite good actually (alhamdillah)
I was happy with the last question! but i think i wrote way too much!
Would i get marked down for that?

Alhamdullah it was a good paper I think, the last essay question was a case aswell for me of writing too much, but on previous mark schemes it says they stop marking after 200 words so inshallah we done enough I think to get good marks!
they stop marking after 200 words!!!!!
my first 200 words were on about the causes of online marriage!
i think i wrote like 250 words!
i pray they let me off with this....

Quick Reply