The Student Room Group

World record: Worlds most multilingual person...

Is there anything like this? Like a world record of someone who can speak the most languages, fluently?

I reckon it's about 8/9 - there's no way someone can speak 10 fluent languages discussing say, opinions on international migration, in all 10.

I have found people like to say they can speak 4 language, but this includes English and a few words in the other 2, and one fluent.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's a guy who can speak loads of languages, we had a thread on this ages ago, and I've been searching depreately on Wikipedia but I can't remember his name.......:mad:
I know someone who can speak 9 languages. He's Angolan with a Ukrainian wife and they live in Germany, he speaks LOADS of african languages, russian, german, spanish and portuguese!
Reply 3
How do you call a person who speaks many languages ? Answer: multilingual.
How about two languages ? A: bilingual.
How about only one language ? A: American

Just found that Joke,

Apparently "pope's" can speak several languages..
Reply 4
Becca
There's a guy who can speak loads of languages, we had a thread on this ages ago, and I've been searching depreately on Wikipedia but I can't remember his name.......:mad:

Not only, but also.
Reply 5
Astor
Apparently "pope's" can speak several languages..

I'd say that depends on how you define "speaking" a language. Popes only really need to be able to say a few phrases, like blessings etc. per language. It's more of a gesture, though; I doubt they're actually fluent in all of them.
Although I suppose they'd be fluent enough in Latin.::p:
Reply 6

Ah yes. But I swear there was another guy who we discovered last time!! Grr, this is annoying me.
Reply 7
I can speak Greek; behold:

Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, et cetera.

(Oh, wait; that's Latin. Ah well.)
Reply 8
Ziad Fazah is known as the world's greatest linguistic.. he says he can speak 58 languages!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziad_Fazah

I can speak 3, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh and learn Chinese as well! :smile:
Reply 9
Leonardo85
Ziad Fazah is known as the world's greatest linguistic.. he says he can speak 58 languages!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziad_Fazah

I can speak 3, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh and learn Chinese as well! :smile:

YES! That's him, the guy I was thinkng of. *is relieved* :smile:
Astor
Is there anything like this? Like a world record of someone who can speak the most languages, fluently?

I reckon it's about 8/9 - there's no way someone can speak 10 fluent languages discussing say, opinions on international migration, in all 10.

I have found people like to say they can speak 4 language, but this includes English and a few words in the other 2, and one fluent.
lol!

Well I aim to be able to speak 8 (pretty much) fluently by the time I'm about 30:

English
Gujarati
Urdu
Hindi
(top 4 already pretty much fluent)
French
German
Chinese Mandarin
Arabic
(and maybe Spanish if I can be bothered)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Our own lovely Enoch Powell could speak about 12 languages (Lots of African languages, Hebrew, Urdu, European languages)

Quite odd for a notorious xenophobe.
Reply 12
William James Sidis was a child prodigy. The real polyglot is Ziad Fazah (damn someone beat me). Here's a more detailed article. He has since learnt another two languages; a modest sum of 58 languages in total.

Some of them are very similar however, and in some cases just a different form of dialect. Still, nothing to undermine.

:eek2:
swirl
William James Sidis was a child prodigy. The real polyglot is Ziad Fazah (damn someone beat me). Here's a more detailed article. He has since learnt another two languages; a modest sum of 58 languages in total.

Some of them are very similar however, and in some cases just a different form of dialect. Still, nothing to undermine.

:eek2:

hehe sorry didn't mean to beat you! :smile:

yeah like you said they might be many dialects, but 58 languages, you must be a genius to know how to speak all of them! for what I think, I can get to speak up to 5, because Ive learnt English in 2 years and I already speak Italian and Spanish, so I bet I would learn French in a year or 2, as its another Latin language! and well Chinese because Im learning it at the moment and will study in uni..:smile:

but 58, not even if I studied all day for the rest of my life!! I'd love it though, just imagine to be able to put 58 languages in your CV!!!
Reply 14
Leonardo85
hehe sorry didn't mean to beat you! :smile:

yeah like you said they might be many dialects, but 58 languages, you must be a genius to know how to speak all of them! for what I think, I can get to speak up to 5, because Ive learnt English in 2 years and I already speak Italian and Spanish, so I bet I would learn French in a year or 2, as its another Latin language! and well Chinese because Im learning it at the moment and will study in uni..:smile:

but 58, not even if I studied all day for the rest of my life!! I'd love it though, just imagine to be able to put 58 languages in your CV!!!
Wow, you sound like a budding polyglot yourself. :p: I have a soft spot for Romance/Latin languages. :love: Though despite having studied it for some years, I'm still grappling with a single, mere French. *sigh* c'est la vie ...

Good luck with your studies, Leonardo. :wink: Chinese is a very challenging language. :eek:

Side note: I use way too many emoticons. Must cut down.
swirl
Wow, you sound like a budding polyglot yourself. :p: I have a soft spot for Romance/Latin languages. :love: Though despite having studied it for some years, I'm still grappling with a single, mere French. *sigh* c'est la vie ...

Good luck with your studies, Leonardo. :wink: Chinese is a very challenging language. :eek:

Side note: I use way too many emoticons. Must cut down.

haha dont worry, I use a lot of emoticons too! maybe its msn's fault, good thing I dont use it anymore that much! havent got the time, always studying Chinese!

its not that I have a passion for Latin languages (as I hate Latin..), but because since I was little I've been speaking Italian and Spanish...so not only French its not that hard, but also is one of the most spoken languages, thats why I want to learn it, so I can speak another important language with English, Spanish and hopefully Chinese! I'll have the most 4 spoken languages, shouldn't be hard to find a good job! :smile:

thanks for the good luck Swirl, you too with your studies! you in college? :smile:
Reply 16
Leonardo85
haha dont worry, I use a lot of emoticons too! maybe its msn's fault, good thing I dont use it anymore that much! havent got the time, always studying Chinese!

its not that I have a passion for Latin languages (as I hate Latin..), but because since I was little I've been speaking Italian and Spanish...so not only French its not that hard, but also is one of the most spoken languages, thats why I want to learn it, so I can speak another important language with English, Spanish and hopefully Chinese! I'll have the most 4 spoken languages, shouldn't be hard to find a good job! :smile:

thanks for the good luck Swirl, you too with your studies! you in college? :smile:
Yep. :smile: And I have (yet again, damn it) been inveterately procrastinating from the very thing. I have coursework due next week and an essay for tomorrow morning. :redface: I should now return to them... È stato un piacere conoscerla. A presto. :smile:
swirl
Yep. :smile: And I have (yet again, damn it) been inveterately procrastinating from the very thing. I have coursework due next week and an essay for tomorrow morning. :redface: I should now return to them... È stato un piacere conoscerla. A presto. :smile:

conoscerla??? thats way too formal! better if you say " è stato un piacere conoscerti" :biggrin: sounds much better! (btw nice italian!!! you learning it?)
Reply 18
Leonardo85
conoscerla??? thats way too formal! better if you say " è stato un piacere conoscerti" :biggrin: sounds much better! (btw nice italian!!! you learning it?)
It's a sign of courtesy (or limited translation on Google rather, sshh. :p:) Non parlo bene l'italiano. I have a close Italian friend who I pick up random words from, but they tend to be inappropriate for daily conversation, as it were. :p: So I make do.

French is the main priority currently - so no time for other languages. Ma grazie. :smile:

I think we've hijacked the thread. :lollypop:
swirl
It's a sign of courtesy (or limited translation on Google rather, sshh. :p:) Non parlo bene l'italiano. I have a close Italian friend who I pick up random words from, but they tend to be inappropriate for daily conversation, as it were. :p: So I make do.

French is the main priority currently - so no time for other languages. Ma grazie. :smile:

I think we've hijacked the thread. :lollypop:

right! well if you learn French then you'll see how easy Italian is! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending