The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sel1234
only SOME college's in cambridge require three sciences at A-level, you should check thier website for which ever college you wish to apply to. Also for the MAJORITY of med schools out there maths and physics is not a requirement. Just becase majority of med applicants take these subjects does not mean that it is a requirement to study medicine.

why dont you go post on the med forum if you would like more info? or check med schools admissions website?

btw- I would advice you take maths becasue if medicine does not work out for you it will allow you to have more options to choose from in terms of choosing a degree.

All colleges in cambridge require 3 sciences.
Reply 101
Jonty99
All colleges in cambridge require 3 sciences.

Well thats not what I heard in the medicine forum

Cambridge do not "require" Maths. Only 6 colleges (Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, and Trinity) "prefer" three science subjects, and only Magdalene specifies Maths. I know plenty of people here without Maths. Please just give it a rest.

Said by a cambridge medic.

check out this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568302&page=2
sel1234
Well thats not what I heard in the medicine forum

Said by a cambridge medic.

check out this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568302&page=2

They've changed the entrance requirements.
Reply 103
sel1234
Just becase majority of med applicants take these subjects does not mean that it is a requirement to study medicine.

No but there's probably a reason so many of them do it. And it doesn't look as good if everyone else has it and you don't.
Reply 104
There's no way I'd be looking into Cambridge though..
I was thinking more Leeds or Aberdeen or Newcastle.

I think I'll be changing the Business Studies to English Lit though. There is no point me doing maths because I struggled badly during my 2 years of GCSE maths - I needed extra tuition to get my grades from D's/E's to B's. I doubt I would do well at A Level
Reply 105
Jonty99
They've changed the entrance requirements.

No it has not, go and check thier website what I quoted still remians the same on thier website.
sel1234
No it has not, go and check thier website what I quoted still remians the same on thier website.

Quoted from their website:

"AS and A level requirement :
Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level."
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html

That seems like 3 sciences for all colleges. :smile:
Change Business to Economics?
Reply 108
abc246
No but there's probably a reason so many of them do it. And it doesn't look as good if everyone else has it and you don't.

Really? How so?

So if you dont have A-level maths your application for medical school 'looks bad'? is that why there's still people studying medicine at univeristy who never took A-level mathsat place like UCL, imperial?
Reply 109
Jonty99
Quoted from their website:

"AS and A level requirement :
Passes in three of the following: Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics. One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at A level."
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html

That seems like 3 sciences for all colleges. :smile:

Subject preferences
Please note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. Such applicants may be asked to take a third science/mathematics subject to AS level.

All Colleges strongly prefer applicants to have Chemistry A level and this is essential for St John’s.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, Peterhouse, St John’s, and Trinity. In the case of Magdalene, this must also include A level Mathematics.

Colleges (except Christ’s, Magdalene, St John’s and Trinity) will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking more science/mathematics A levels.

sel1234

Subject preferences
Please note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. Such applicants may be asked to take a third science/mathematics subject to AS level.

All Colleges strongly prefer applicants to have Chemistry A level and this is essential for St John’s.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, Peterhouse, St John’s, and Trinity. In the case of Magdalene, this must also include A level Mathematics.

Colleges (except Christ’s, Magdalene, St John’s and Trinity) will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking more science/mathematics A levels.

Conflicting information. hmm...

Personally, I'd go with what they say at the very top of the page (what I quoted). It's likely they perhaps forgot to update the bit you quoted.
Reply 111
sel1234
Really? How so?

So if you dont have A-level maths your application for medical school 'looks bad'? is that why there's still people studying medicine at univeristy who never took A-level mathsat place like UCL, imperial?

When did I say it would look bad? Yes of course you can still get into studying medicine, but some places might just favour people with maths or physics over those without. You never know.
abc246
When did I say it would look bad? Yes of course you can still get into studying medicine, but some places might just favour people with maths or physics over those without. You never know.

Exactly. We never know, and there's no evidence to suggest that studying maths gives you an advantage.
Reply 113
Instead of BS, perhaps opt for English Literature?:dontknow: Although some universities do require Mathematics; Biology and Chemistry is definitely needed, which you obviously are going for:smile:
I suggest you take either maths or physics for AS and then drop it if you can't cope. It'll show much better on your application to uni than Business studies. Even if you get bad grades, it's still better. So take Bio, Chem, Psy and maths/physics.
Flying Cookie
I suggest you take either maths or physics for AS and then drop it if you can't cope. It'll show much better on your application to uni than Business studies. Even if you get bad grades, it's still better. So take Bio, Chem, Psy and maths/physics.

Lol that's not true.

I would advise NOT taking Business cos it's not very respected, but there's no need to do maths/physics, as the OP said she didn't like them.
uhmm i think buisiness studies is a bit on the dodgy side...the others are absolutely fine and chemistry and bio aren't really choices because you have to do them...maths isn't essential, i've only done as chemistry but i got through it fine without as maths, a good gcse grade is fine...but be aware that many med schools like 3 math/science a levels + another (preferably contrasting subject)... however like i said bio and chem are the most important + applicants with 2 sciences are also successful.
Reply 117
I think I'm deffinately going to take English Literature instead of BS :smile:
x_skater_jnoo_x
uhmm i think buisiness studies is a bit on the dodgy side...the others are absolutely fine and chemistry and bio aren't really choices because you have to do them...maths isn't essential, i've only done as chemistry but i got through it fine without as maths, a good gcse grade is fine...but be aware that many med schools like 3 math/science a levels + another (preferably contrasting subject)... however like i said bio and chem are the most important + applicants with 2 sciences are also successful.

Only Cambridge requests 3 math/science. Only UCL and Peninsula say they actively prefer a contrasting subject (obviously there's absolutely nothing wrong with a contrast, but only those 2 universities say they are advantageous).
Reply 119
Jonty99
Exactly. We never know, and there's no evidence to suggest that studying maths gives you an advantage.

Fair enough, I see your point.

And on that subject, it might be useful to e-mail universities you are thinking you might like to go to. I did, and asked whether they prefer any particular subjects over others, and they replied saying that you had to have a certain subject and then one of... and they gave a list of subjects, but none were more 'important' than the others. If that makes sense. Basically what I'm saying is, if you feel wary about any subjects, just e-mail them and ask what they think about it, if they would prefer it over another one etc.

Latest