The Student Room Group

Main differences between biotechnology and biochemistry?

I currently hold an unconditional offer for biotechnology at Nottingham, but before I make it my insurance I would like to know more about how it compares with biochemistry in terms of course content, employability and career prospects ect.

If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Biochemistry is a pure science field, studying the chemistry of the molecules found in living cells. Biotech is about manipulating those chemicals (and also living cells) to produce a product.

For example: a biochemist discovered the structure and function of the insulin molecule; someone in biotech figured out how to get yeast or bacterial cells to produce human insulin (through genetic manipulation)
Original post by 93M
Biochemistry is a pure science field, studying the chemistry of the molecules found in living cells. Biotech is about manipulating those chemicals (and also living cells) to produce a product.

For example: a biochemist discovered the structure and function of the insulin molecule; someone in biotech figured out how to get yeast or bacterial cells to produce human insulin (through genetic manipulation)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending