The Student Room Group

EU student - eligibility for Maintenance Loan/Grant

Hi,

Will I be eligible to obtain Maintenance Grant/Loan, if:
- I am an EU student
- I have been in a full-time education for 2 years (Sixth Form)
- I will work full-time during my gap year

Quote from the website:

Additional help
Some EU nationals may qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan and additional help, but usually only if all of the following apply:

you’re an EU national, or the family member of someone who is

you’ve lived in the UK for three years or more before your course starts

you’ll be living in the UK on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts

usually your main reason for living in the UK was not to receive full-time education
your course qualifies see the section ‘Does your course qualify’

The interpretation of bolded requirement seems to be crucial.

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Kwak
Hi,

Will I be eligible to obtain Maintenance Grant/Loan, if:
- I am an EU student
- I have been in a full-time education for 2 years (Sixth Form)
- I will work full-time during my gap year

Quote from the website:

The interpretation of bolded requirement seems to be crucial.

Thank you in advance!

If you have 3 years residency in the UK (from 01/09/2009 - present), are ordinarily resident in the UK on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course (September 1st for autumn start courses) and you are an EEA national, you can receive full funding just like a home student - tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, and maintenance grant and supplementary grants as applicable. If you don't have 3 years residency then you can apply as an EU student and receive a tuition fee loan only.

What you're referring to in that quote is whether your residence here in the UK for education purposes counts - the answer is yes, it still counts. See the Bidar ruling - you can count periods of residence in the UK for the purposes of full-time education as long as you were resident in the EEA prior to that. Has to be 3 years residency in the UK to receive full undergraduate support, though.
Reply 2
I am very confused myself. I have been living in the UK since i was 14 years old as my parents have received promotions to work in the NHS. I am now 21 years old and would like to do my nursing degree. The gov website says that i should apply like a normal UK national but then requested me to give evidence of my work. Will i still get my maintenance loan as i was still under the age of 18 when i came for the purpose of living with my parents not to study???x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending