The Student Room Group

Which Universities do people recommend for Mechanical Engineering?

Hello, this is my first thread/post so I don't know if i'm doing it correctly, HOWEVER

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good universities for mechanical engineering, I'm expecting AAB-ABB and I've had a look at a few (i.e. Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, UCL, Kingston)

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about them, or others

Nick

Scroll to see replies

I think imperial college london is the best :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah, i think it's entry requirements reflect that ahha! A*AA and unfortunately I'm not smart enough for that ahah :smile:
Reply 3
Have a look at some unis like liverpool (russel group and asking for BBB ) and leicester whom want BBC. QMUL 300 points, nottingham/sheffield/leeds/birmingham all russels asking for AAB..
Original post by NickHanan
Hello, this is my first thread/post so I don't know if i'm doing it correctly, HOWEVER

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good universities for mechanical engineering, I'm expecting AAB-ABB and I've had a look at a few (i.e. Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, UCL, Kingston)

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about them, or others

Nick

Southampton, Manchester, Sheffield, Strathclyde etc etc
Reply 5
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Southampton, Manchester, Sheffield, Strathclyde etc etc

Strathy have sent out AAA AH offers for MEng, not sure how that would translate to A-level. I can't imagine the conditions being set lower next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
The universities I have applied to are: Warwick, Nottingham, Sussex, Lancaster, Leicester. (In that order of preference).
My two favorite by a long way are Warwick and Nottingham, in comparison to all the other universities I just believe they are in a league of their own. The facilities and academic staff are fantastic and the campus is brilliant. Both the universities have very strong research going on and also have around the same number of students. They are both campus universities, so if you like campus universities, you will love Warwick and Nottingham.
Original post by Sw3ensterFM
Strathy have sent out AAA AH offers for MEng, not sure how that would translate to A-level. I can't imagine the conditions being set lower next year.

oh my...
Reply 8
Warwick - AAB
Nottingham - AAA
Sussex - AAB
Lancaster - AAB
Leicester - ABB

Thought you might want to know... xD
I would suggest Warwick.
Reply 10
Wow, cheers guys! I'll have to get some prospectuses and start going to the open days. Thanks again
Reply 11
Original post by Quexx
Warwick - AAB
Nottingham - AAA
Sussex - AAB
Lancaster - AAB
Leicester - ABB

Thought you might want to know... xD

Leicester ABB? Have you applied for MEng?
Reply 12
Original post by Jeid1
Leicester ABB? Have you applied for MEng?

Yep! Got a good offer. I took further maths, maths, physics and chemistry through to A2.
Reply 13
There's always Hull, despite the low entry requirements it's actually a pretty decent course here.
Top ten in complete uni guide for mech eng are:

Cambridge
Imperial
sheffield
bristol
surrey
loughborough
nottingham
southampton
Bath

Would also reccomend strathclyde and edinburgh.
Why do people have backups?
Original post by pbsjohnz
I applied to a uni with lesser entry standards so I was guarenteed a place no matter what. Then I had the freedom to put higher unis on my application knowing that I still had Exeter.
:cool:

But do you have any interest in going to Exeter?
Original post by + polarity -

So that they don't have to take a year out if they miss their offers.
Original post by + polarity -

same reason as why civil engineers love concrete
Reply 19
Original post by Quexx
The universities I have applied to are: Warwick, Nottingham, Sussex, Lancaster, Leicester. (In that order of preference).
My two favorite by a long way are Warwick and Nottingham, in comparison to all the other universities I just believe they are in a league of their own. The facilities and academic staff are fantastic and the campus is brilliant. Both the universities have very strong research going on and also have around the same number of students. They are both campus universities, so if you like campus universities, you will love Warwick and Nottingham.

May I ask how is the teaching quality in Warwick? I have been to warwick a few days ago. I like its facilities very much but I'm struggling with which uni to choose for mechanical engineering. Warwick or Bristol. Birtsol obviously has a higher reputation on engineering than Warwick.

Quick Reply