The Student Room Group

Which BTEC's are well respected? And what is the workload like?

Hi, I'm currently studying A Levels, which are as follows; Economics, Mathematics, Physics and History. Bottom line is, I hate them (Except maths :smile:). I spoke to my senior tutor about changing to a Btec course in September, and she said "People tend to think that Btecs are much easier, but in reality there is a lot more work and time you have to put towards if you wish to get a good grade". I tend to be very good at coursework, so I'm just wondering what the workload is like? And which Btecs are respected? I'm only interested in the Level 3 extended courses.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Considering you're managing those A levels so far, don't do a BTEC.
Reply 2
Original post by Perseverance
Considering you're managing those A levels so far, don't do a BTEC.

But I'm not. I'm finding it difficult to even cope.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you! :P

Firstly, you'll get a lot of TSR members telling you "BTecs are for dumb asses blah blah blah...", this just isn't the case. Level 3 extended Btecs require a lot of work. I have a friend who transferred from A Levels to Btecs thinking it would be a walk in the park, and boy was he wrong. You have to put the work in all year round, whereas in A Levels, you can wait till a few months before the exam. As for which Btec to choose, go for any Level 3 extended which sparks your interest, this varies from Engineering to Business, depending on what your college/ sixth form have to offer. Last piece of advice is, if you do transfer from A levels to Btec, aim only for the highest grade and nothing less.

Good Luck
(edited 12 years ago)
It is true, you have to put a lot of work in.
I came out of my BTEC with a distinction, I worked so hard I got the highest grade in my class :u: I chose a BTEC because there were no exams, just coursework. I just tend to do better in coursework than exams, and I felt I learn better that way.
However 2 unis rejected me due to having a BTEC and not A Levels. And you can't escape exams at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by StartSomething
It is true, you have to put a lot of work in.
I came out of my BTEC with a distinction, I worked so hard I got the highest grade in my class :u: I chose a BTEC because there were no exams, just coursework. I just tend to do better in coursework than exams, and I felt I learn better that way.
However 2 unis rejected me due to having a BTEC and not A Levels. And you can't escape exams at uni.

Which Btec was it? Which Uni's were they? Which Uni are you in now? What are you studying? (If you don't mind me asking :rolleyes: )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Envee
Which Btec was it? Which Uni's were they? Which Uni are you in now? What are you studying? (If you don't mind me asking :rolleyes: )

Level 3 diploma in health and social care (I don't even know how you write it down). I also had AS's in Health and Social Care (Grade B) and Business Studies (Grade C) so I don't know if that affected my chances.
Sheffield Hallam and Derby rejected me - they both said they wanted A Levels but I applied anyway.
I got into Hertfordshire, Kingston and Birmingham City. I am at Hertfordshire now studying Diagnostic Radiography.
Reply 7
Original post by StartSomething
Level 3 diploma in health and social care (I don't even know how you write it down). I also had AS's in Health and Social Care (Grade B) and Business Studies (Grade C) so I don't know if that affected my chances.
Sheffield Hallam and Derby rejected me - they both said they wanted A Levels but I applied anyway.
I got into Hertfordshire, Kingston and Birmingham City. I am at Hertfordshire now studying Diagnostic Radiography.

Thank You :smile:
Original post by Envee
But I'm not. I'm finding it difficult to even cope.

Then drop a subject. BTECs are significantly less respected and, depending on your plans, could hinder your university. I'd only recommend taking it if you sought a vocational course, but seeing your choice of subjects that doesn't seem the case?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have done two Nvq's an Alevel and a level 3 Btec at the same time and honestly alevels are easy as anything, for my AS I got an A and did alot of work but for the Btec I literally have to stay up all night in order to get straight distinctions in everything, although btecs are not as credited they are defiantly more in depth and encourage more thought and development ideas in order to get a higher grade. Btecs also show you no alot more in your chosen career because most people are un-decided during alevels and you have the chance to study the subject in more depth.
Its up to you though, I would recommended having a look at different colleges and seeing what they can offer you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
I am on a BTEC Extended Diploma IT Practitioner level 3 and in the last term of my second year. Depending on what grade you wish to achieve will depend on your workload, at the moment I'm predicted D*D*D* which is the highest grade you can get. with a little effort and work done in my spare time I've been able to do this. You could go for a Pass, but they are just way to easy and when employers look at it, they'll laugh to be honest. A D*D*D* gave me 480 ucas points, I only needed 280(DMM) to get on my course. Make sure your well organised too. In total there 18 units, and about 2-3 assignments in each unit. Its easy if you keep on top of it.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Chris1068
I am on a BTEC Extended Diploma IT Practitioner level 3 and in the last term of my second year. Depending on what grade you wish to achieve will depend on your workload, at the moment I'm predicted D*D*D* which is the highest grade you can get. with a little effort and work done in my spare time I've been able to do this. You could go for a Pass, but they are just way to easy and when employers look at it, they'll laugh to be honest. A D*D*D* gave me 480 ucas points, I only needed 280(DMM) to get on my course. Make sure your well organised too. In total there 18 units, and about 2-3 assignments in each unit. Its easy if you keep on top of it.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks! Which Uni course are you looking to do?
Reply 12
I've accepted an offer at Derby uni, Networks and Security :smile:
Reply 13

Sounds awesome! Thanks for your help and time. :smile:
Original post by Envee
Hi, I'm currently studying A Levels, which are as follows; Economics, Mathematics, Physics and History. Bottom line is, I hate them (Except maths :smile:). I spoke to my senior tutor about changing to a Btec course in September, and she said "People tend to think that Btecs are much easier, but in reality there is a lot more work and time you have to put towards if you wish to get a good grade". I tend to be very good at coursework, so I'm just wondering what the workload is like? And which Btecs are respected? I'm only interested in the Level 3 extended courses.

Thanks!

I don't think the reason you don't like them is that they're A levels, I think it's because you picked 3 subjects you didn't like. If I was you, I'd pick A levels you actually LIKE instead of ones you think are respected. Also, you picked 4 of the hardest A levels, thats probably why it's really hard to manage and cope with it. Btec's aren't as well respected as A Levels, so if you are academically able it'd be a shame to undermine your ability.

Are you doing well in the A levels you are taking.
Reply 15
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I don't think the reason you don't like them is that they're A levels, I think it's because you picked 3 subjects you didn't like. If I was you, I'd pick A levels you actually LIKE instead of ones you think are respected. Also, you picked 4 of the hardest A levels, thats probably why it's really hard to manage and cope with it. Btec's aren't as well respected as A Levels, so if you are academically able it'd be a shame to undermine your ability.

Are you doing well in the A levels you are taking.

I'm predicted AAAC, but this was a while back. I doubt I'm even on CCCC right now. Trouble is, my college won't accept me if I try to repick A levels for another year, but would for Btec as it's a completly different course. Even if I do finally decide to go for Btec, I'd still be getting into Uni, so It all adds up to the same thing? Right? :confused:
Original post by Envee
I'm predicted AAAC, but this was a while back. I doubt I'm even on CCCC right now. Trouble is, my college won't accept me if I try to repick A levels for another year, but would for Btec as it's a completly different course. Even if I do finally decide to go for Btec, I'd still be getting into Uni, so It all adds up to the same thing? Right? :confused:

Yeah, you'd still be able to get into University, no problems there. But I'm just pointing out that A levels are more respected than Btec, generally. I'd also imagine employers would prefer a good set of A levels compared to a good set of Btec results. If I were you, I'd go to a different college (if it's practical of course), do courses that I know I liked and would do better at. And if you were predicted AAAC, then you definitely have the capacity for A levels. But it's up to you man, just make sure that Btec is right for you before you jump onto the bandwagon, as you might not like all the pressure of constant coursework and edits in for a set date (I like coursework and do well in them but I absolutely hate the pressure of Btec-they're bound to be different in pace and volume of work).

Good luck though with whatever you choose, and I hope it works out. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Yeah, you'd still be able to get into University, no problems there. But I'm just pointing out that A levels are more respected than Btec, generally. I'd also imagine employers would prefer a good set of A levels compared to a good set of Btec results. If I were you, I'd go to a different college (if it's practical of course), do courses that I know I liked and would do better at. And if you were predicted AAAC, then you definitely have the capacity for A levels. But it's up to you man, just make sure that Btec is right for you before you jump onto the bandwagon, as you might not like all the pressure of constant coursework and edits in for a set date (I like coursework and do well in them but I absolutely hate the pressure of Btec-they're bound to be different in pace and volume of work).

Good luck though with whatever you choose, and I hope it works out. :smile:

Thank You :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Envee

Thanks!

There is a reasonable workload with BTEC's but it's not too bad, as long as you're a good essay writer and are good with deadlines then it's actually not bad at all (If you're interested in the subject of course).

As far as progression and respectability is concerned, both myself and my girlfriend studied BTEC's and we're currently studying at the University of Manchester.
(edited 11 years ago)

Wooh. Same course here, though at a different uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending