The Student Room Group

24 hours to decide: Imperial, UCL, Soton for Software engineering/Computer Science

Hola!
I hope you can help me in my choice guys!
Here is my situation:

Imperial asks for 41 IB points, 7 maths, 7 physics
UCL asks for 38, 6 maths
Soton for 37, 6 maths

I was predicted 41 and 6 in maths.

Now the question: I have to choose 2 out of these three for computer sciences but here are my problems.

1) fear: I would like to not risk too much putting Imperial and UCL, since I fear I cannot achieve the points for Imperial or UCL
2) place: I would like to study in a university which has people that don't study just maths and physics and my worry is that at Imperial social life will be equal to zero. I also would like to have as much networking with other person as possible. I think who is a co-student could be in future your co-llegue.
3) program: I don't like ucl program as much as the Soton one. Imperial I like it but soton I think has a better one
4) reputation (world wide): if I will go to study in China, which uni will give me more reputation ? (i'm not chinese)

5) Is Imperial SO MUCH better than UCL or I will not loosing so much going to UCL? Is southampton a good uni such as UCL and Imperial?
6) Will I regret not having put imperial as first choice just because I am scared about not achieving the points and loose the possibility of another uni?

This is my idea until yesterday:

1 Imperial 2 UCL

This is my idea today

1 UCL 2 Soton

This is what I am tempted to do

1 Imperial 2 Soton

What would you suggest?
Reply 1
No one has any idea?
Reply 2
Original post by sireal
Hola!
I hope you can help me in my choice guys!
Here is my situation:

Imperial asks for 41 IB points, 7 maths, 7 physics
UCL asks for 38, 6 maths
Soton for 37, 6 maths

I was predicted 41 and 6 in maths.

Now the question: I have to choose 2 out of these three for computer sciences but here are my problems.

1) fear: I would like to not risk too much putting Imperial and UCL, since I fear I cannot achieve the points for Imperial or UCL
Imperial - Firm, Soton - Ins
2) place: I would like to study in a university which has people that don't study just maths and physics and my worry is that at Imperial social life will be equal to zero. I also would like to have as much networking with other person as possible. I think who is a co-student could be in future your co-llegue.
Imperial will surprise you :smile:
3) program: I don't like ucl program as much as the Soton one. Imperial I like it but soton I think has a better one
4) reputation (world wide): if I will go to study in China, which uni will give me more reputation ? (i'm not chinese)
Imperial

5) Is Imperial SO MUCH better than UCL or I will not loosing so much going to UCL? Is southampton a good uni such as UCL and Imperial?
Yes, and defo not!!
6) Will I regret not having put imperial as first choice just because I am scared about not achieving the points and loose the possibility of another uni?
We cant tell you that!
This is my idea until yesterday:

1 Imperial 2 UCL

This is my idea today

1 UCL 2 Soton

This is what I am tempted to do

1 Imperial 2 Soton

What would you suggest?

Imperial 1, and read above
Reply 3
Ahhaha thanks! are you imperial student?
WHy Imperial -> Soton
and not Imperial -> Ucl?
Reply 4
My gf is at Imperial, there is a bangin' social scence!
Reply 5
Original post by sireal
Ahhaha thanks! are you imperial student?
WHy Imperial -> Soton
and not Imperial -> Ucl?

I'd pick Imperial and Soton, mainly because I really liked Southampton when I got there.
If you have any questions regarding Imperial's CS course, I'll be happy to answer them (if it's not too late)
I turned down imperial and firmed UCL... IC wanted an A* in chemistry... not too likely to happen, but if it does that's wonderful. UCL seemed like a more friendly place and IC just felt cold even if it is a really good institution. Who knows? I may regret that in the future but UCL will be fine!
Reply 7
I am sorry but I will probably turn down imperial too.
They ask for too much and the risk is too high.

Is there any big difference between ucl and imperial (I mean BIG not slight difference)
Reply 8
If you want a social scene don't go to Imperial. There are obviously people who go out but they are in the vast vast minority.
If you don't pick Imperial, I say Soton>UCL. We're better for Computer Science. Plus the offer is nicer. All 3 are extremely well known in China.
But UCL are revamping their course, you might want to check that out. Soton are too but nothing's being changed, only moved around.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending