The Student Room Group

Is lad culture a problem or just a laugh?

I think it's kinda outta control.

I'm sick of people like UniLad and their "banter".

Am I the only one that finds this trend very annoying?

I just read this and it made me even more annoyed.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads

I guess Im just a boring nerd.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
suck it up theyre just having a laugh.

edit: mmm controvertial.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
People can do what they want who are you to tell them they are wrong fair enough you might not like it then don't act like that yourself no one is forcing you. Yes some people are over the top but they aren't hurting anyone other than themselves which is their decision and no one has the right to tell them what to do. As for rape jokes who cares people make jokes about everything 9/11, Death, Genital Mutilation etc... it's called black comedy just because someone jokes about rape it doesn't mean they are rapists.
Just a laugh.
Reply 4
strong 1rd post. no the problem is people like you.
edit:
strong negs my sweet angus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think it has a detrimental effect on society, no matter how much it may annoy a given person. I do agree with you though, but dickheads will be dickheads no matter what part of the world you're from.
It's only a laugh

Don't sweat
Reply 7
Banter
Reply 8
the 'lad culture' is just uni life with a new name.
that is how uni lads have acted since before you were born. the fact its at the forefront of the media now doesnt mean anything has changed.
Reply 9
Marine guy was cute.
Reply 10
People need to find a way to assert their masculinity in this increasingly feminised emasculated society. You can only really blame the feminists for this phenomenon.
Original post by sconter
strong 1rd post. no the problem is people like you.

1rd? :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by Darkphilosopher
1rd? :s-smilie:

yea 1rd.

1rd
2st
3th

etc.

was his 1rd post.
Reply 13
What happens when you try to get 50 percent of the school population into UNI,

eh?

Gordan?
Original post by Joerumford
I think it's kinda outta control.

I'm sick of people like UniLad and their "banter".

Am I the only one that finds this trend very annoying?

I just read this and it made me even more annoyed.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads

I guess Im just a boring nerd.

What a coincidence, I was just reading that article no more than an hour ago!

I agree with what you said. A bit of 'banter' in mild doses is okay but the university scene is the UK nowadays is pretty ridiculous. Also, what are those deadbeats studying? 'Sports Coaching' - how appropriate. University is just an excuse for them to go get pissed for a couple of years before reality kicks in.

By the way, Vice is great. I remember posting a thread about Vice a month or so ago and nobody replied :frown:
Reply 15
It seems to be a way for sexually insecure and massively dull guys to flaunt their penis without actually getting it out of their pants. It worries me that a huge percentage of university students refer to themselves as lads whilst studying law, medicine etc. Heres to the future.
Reply 16
Original post by Darkphilosopher
K. You're trolling.

Spoiler

i realise the word troll can be used to describe pretty much anything, but im not trolling.

edit: lol you've deleted your post because of negs, what a pathetic ****
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by prog2djent
What happens when you try to get 50 percent of the school population into UNI,

eh?

Gordan?

Couldn't agree more. In any sane continental European country these 'lads' would be doing vocational degrees as roofers or house painters. Or if they care about sports coaching so very much they can go coach some little kiddies.
Reply 18
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
What a coincidence, I was just reading that article no more than an hour ago!

I agree with what you said. A bit of 'banter' in mild doses is okay but the university scene is the UK nowadays is pretty ridiculous. Also, what are those deadbeats studying? 'Sports Coaching' - how appropriate. University is just an excuse for them to go get pissed for a couple of years before reality kicks in.

By the way, Vice is great. I remember posting a thread about Vice a month or so ago and nobody replied :frown:

again i dont see how this is a bad thing.

you work your whole life using your 'spare' time doing things you enjoy (but actusally spend most of it doing worthless crap like watching tv). basically meaning you do what you actually want for a small portion of your life. all of which is working up until the point you retire, something you look forward to your whole life so you can do what you want... at an age where you can no longer do it.

so what if they are putting themselves in a lifetimes worth of debt, because they are actually having the time of a lifetime. if i wasnt going to be doing a proper course, i'd still go to uni, for this reason alone.
Reply 19
I'd say it's just a laugh - yes, I follow it on Facebook, but I wouldn't expect to treat my wife like the way they do - in fact, if I did, I know exactly what I'd get in return :/ and I shudder at the thought of it.

Do I refer to myself as a lad? For me, the term "lad" is very boyish, and I don't like boyish, I am a young man; I am mature and I respect people.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending