The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

How are we all feeling? The exam is soon!

Thought I would make a thread so we can talk about what we are aiming for and if we're struggling with anything in the course we can maybe help each other out - saves making a new thread for a question.

Any exam tips? What poems/novels/play/etc are you guys doing?

Close Reading - Will anyone read the questions first before reading the article/story?

Critical Essay - How many quotations will you learn?

Hopefully I'll get a good grade, although been so lazy today!

Goodluck!! :smile::biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SQA
OP
Here, giving you some tips for Close Reading :smile: :

Will I have enough time to get the paper finished?
This paper is 15 minutes longer than it used to be and most candidates can now get through all the questions. The number of marks was also reduced from 60 to 50, making the paper more manageable as there are now fewer questions to answer. A common fault is to write too much for low mark questions at the start of the paper. Therefore, keep an eye on how many marks each question is worth - try not to spend too long on low mark questions to allow yourself more time for questions offering more marks.

Can I use my own knowledge of the subjects when I answer the questions?
You are being tested on your understanding of the passages, and so you should take all your answers from the texts provided. A number of years ago, the theme was Music, and some candidates were tempted to show off their own knowledge, but they received no credit for this. However, if the theme happens to be one you know a fair bit about, it should aid your general understanding, not to mention boosting your confidence!

Do I have to write in sentences? Can I use bullet points or write in note form if I'm running out of time?
The quality of your expression is not assessed, the content of your answers is what matters. Your answers may be made up of phrases or bullet points or sentences depending on whichever you think allows you to most clearly express your ideas.

Because the passages are unseen, I feel I can't really prepare for this part of the exam. What tips can you give me?
It is always rather nerve-racking to go into an unseen exam like this, but remember all the candidates are in the same position! In addition, the questions tend to conform to certain patterns which you can learn to recognise. E.g. P-E-A, P-E-E, S-Q-A, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
SQA
OP
Well don't know about this year as we're having the English exams this week, however in my Higher Chemistry exam (yesterday) there has been some changes :K:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
SQA
OP
:bump:.
Reply 4
I'm only revising two pieces for the critical essays, this could be disastrous...
Reply 5
SQA
OP
LOL dw same! My class is doing 3 texts although one is crap so i'm just revising two pieces..
Reply 6
im feeling reluctant; the close reading will be something terribly boring and the essays will be 1hr30mins of frantic writing. im preparing for a drama and 3 poems though, poem questions are tight :/
Reply 7
SQA
OP
Original post by frasercee
poem questions are tight :/

That's why i'm not doing poetry, so boring tooo...:sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm learning 4 texts for the exam, well, attempting to anyway :P I have The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (novel), A Hanging by George Orwell (non-fiction text), Ambulances by Philip Larkin (poetry), and King Billy by Edwin Morgan (poetry). Hoping there is questions in there, I really don't like the "chance" element of English :frown:
Reply 9
SQA
OP
Original post by Reece:)
I'm learning 4 texts for the exam, well, attempting to anyway :P I have The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (novel), A Hanging by George Orwell (non-fiction text), Ambulances by Philip Larkin (poetry), and King Billy by Edwin Morgan (poetry). Hoping there is questions in there, I really don't like the "chance" element of English :frown:

Sweet! Ikr, whyy do we have to do all this bs!! :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by SQA
Sweet! Ikr, whyy do we have to do all this bs!! :frown:

Yeah, I'm really not good at english either so it doesn't help :frown:! I'm hoping we get an interesting close reading this year though, I tend to do better in close reading than in my essays :smile: Hoping to get a B pass though so I don't need to do it again next year :smile:!

What grades are you guys looking to get :smile:?
Reply 11
SQA
OP
Original post by Reece:)
Yeah, I'm really not good at english either so it doesn't help :frown:! I'm hoping we get an interesting close reading this year though, I tend to do better in close reading than in my essays :smile: Hoping to get a B pass though so I don't need to do it again next year :smile:!

What grades are you guys looking to get :smile:?

Yes I hope so too!
Ehhm I don't really care until I pass, that's what I just want! Even my parents don't care if I even get a C in English :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by SQA
Even my parents don't care if I even get a C in English :colondollar:

Nor mine haha! I just want a pass so I don't have to take it next year :smile: but a B would be nice :P that's what i got in my prelim :smile:
Reply 13
how many quotes do you usually include in each essay? i have only been putting about 6/7 but some people say they put about 20!? how on earth do you have time to properly analyse them? if i put more than 6 i end up running out of time. is 6 okay? or am i going to have to speed up?

keep in mind I am aiming for 15/25 for each essay
Reply 14
Original post by emsloe
how many quotes do you usually include in each essay? i have only been putting about 6/7 but some people say they put about 20!? how on earth do you have time to properly analyse them? if i put more than 6 i end up running out of time. is 6 okay? or am i going to have to speed up?

Personally I only have time to put 5 quotes in each and i usually get 15-19 for my essays, although in the prelim my friend only did 3 quotes and still got a 15 :smile: so 6 quotes is fine, 20 seems impossible if you ask me :P
Reply 15
SQA
OP
Original post by emsloe

Just write as many as you can with relevance of the question :biggrin:
Reply 16
I've revised a lot for the essays.

Prose: Mockingbird
Hoping for a character question, theme for education or prejudice.

Poem: My Last Duchess
hoping for atmosphere or personality of speaker.

Drama: Streetcar Named desire
hoping for theme of desire, key scene.
Original post by emsloe

I've always used 6 major (2 in each paragraph) for drama/prose and 4 minor quotes. Though, for poetry I usually do 7 (3 2 2) with 3 minor and I consistently get 21/23s. Don't worry too much about the number of quotes you use, as long as you're using relevant ones :smile: Too much 'blanket coverage' can get you marked down quite a bit
Reply 18
SQA
OP
Original post by UMARTIAN
I've revised a lot for the essays.

Prose: Mockingbird
Hoping for a character question, theme for education or prejudice.

Poem: My Last Duchess
hoping for atmosphere or personality of speaker.

Drama: Streetcar Named desire
hoping for theme of desire, key scene.

Sweeet! Goodluck :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by emsloe
how many quotes do you usually include in each essay? i have only been putting about 6/7 but some people say they put about 20!? how on earth do you have time to properly analyse them? if i put more than 6 i end up running out of time. is 6 okay? or am i going to have to speed up? keep in mind I am aiming for 15/25 for each essay

My teacher taught us that you should use about 6 big quotes that you make a point around, then use small quotes like " little parties" (The Great Gatsby) all throughout your essay.
That way you end up impressing the marker cos you've used about 20 quotes and are showing a way deeper understanding of the text :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending