The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 2 Edexcel, Exam- 23rd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
I failed unti 2 last year. This year it wasn't too bad. But loads of people at my sixth form left 20-30 minutes early cos they couldn't do lots of the questions!

really thats bad? :s-smilie:

to be honest, there was a girl sitting next to me, she was sitting with her paper closed and I was thinking how the hell did she finish before me lol. And when she was checking over her paper, I saw some blank pages on the exam paper.
Original post by UserInvalid
really thats bad? :s-smilie:

to be honest, there was a girl sitting next to me, she was sitting with her paper closed and I was thinking how the hell did she finish before me lol. And when she was checking over her paper, I saw some blank pages on the exam paper.

I know. To be fair our teacher was rubbish (he resigned a few weeks ago as well!), 18/20 people failed unit 1 who were doing it for the first time.
I know. To be fair our teacher was rubbish (he resigned a few weeks ago as well!), 18/20 people failed unit 1 who were doing it for the first time.

thats a bad news :s-smilie:
Original post by UserInvalid
thats a bad news :s-smilie:

Yeah they got this guy in from another college called Ian (who works there part time) to help us, but he only came 3 fridays . . . which was the day my class didn't have chemistry so we had to fit it round our timetables. That wasn't to bad for me as my study period was during the other AS groups class. BUt some people couldnt go during the if they either didn't have a study period that day or theirs was during the A2 groups lesson. So they could only go to the after-school session.

But he was good - luckily we went through an iodo-thiosulfate titration question on tuesday night :colone:

And there was another woman with a masters in analytical chemistry who helped, but wasn't an actual teacher, but she was only around from 10-2, 2 days a week.

They did interview for a new teacher the other week, but there were only two candidates. They had to do a 15 minute class (both on redox so we compare them.) and at the end we were all like 'We e prefer Ian!' But he wasn't a candidate unfortunately :frown:
Yeah they got this guy in from another college called Ian (who works there part time) to help us, but he only came 3 fridays . . . which was the day my class didn't have chemistry so we had to fit it round our timetables. That wasn't to bad for me as my study period was during the other AS groups class. BUt some people couldnt go during the if they either didn't have a study period that day or theirs was during the A2 groups lesson. So they could only go to the after-school session.

But he was good - luckily we went through an iodo-thiosulfate titration question on tuesday night :colone:

And there was another woman with a masters in analytical chemistry who helped, but wasn't an actual teacher, but she was only around from 10-2, 2 days a week.

They did interview for a new teacher the other week, but there were only two candidates. They had to do a 15 minute class (both on redox so we compare them.) and at the end we were all like 'We e prefer Ian!' But he wasn't a candidate unfortunately :frown:

woa...you guys did go hard time.

To be honest, on my side I learned chemistry all by myself, despite finding it hard I just went through all the book, I studied so much for the exam, it felt I am going to fell asleep at any time during the exam, but I thankfully did it.

I hope the grade boundaries are low, so you guys dont suffer for low grades :s-smilie:
Reply 1345
did anyone get unofficical mark scheme?
Original post by jv.lalloo
Link doesn't work! x

Original post by Honey:)
link dont work??...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2013163
Reply 1350
Original post by MarshmallowBob
no doubt brown gas is an observation. im not sure about my second observation, i wrote change in size/mass? :s-smilie:

Hey, I also said that the solid would appear to decrease in size/mass, because if NO2 and Oxygen is being released, then the mass is going to decrease, right? I didn't put about a white solid forming, because calcium nitrate is a white solid anyway, so you'd be going from a white solid to a white solid...

Does anyone know whether I'd get the mark for saying the solid would decease in size/mass?
Original post by ummm
Hey, I also said that the solid would appear to decrease in size/mass, because if NO2 and Oxygen is being released, then the mass is going to decrease, right? I didn't put about a white solid forming, because calcium nitrate is a white solid anyway, so you'd be going from a white solid to a white solid...

Does anyone know whether I'd get the mark for saying the solid would decease in size/mass?

thats what i thought too. i just counted as a mistake, to prepare for the worst. :smile:
Reply 1352
Seeing as though I can't really remember what I put for a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure on all the different answers they'll accept for the 'green chemistry' type questions, I think best case scenario I'll have lost 6/7 marks... Prrraaayyyinngg for an A!!!

I can't remember what I put for the carbonate decomposition multiple choice question, but I have a feeling I didn't notice the 'strongly heated bit'... damn.
Reply 1353
Yeah sorry about the link not working hehe my bad. I think someone already put it up... *scrolls up to check* Yep! Thank you EffKayy!

If you haven't seen it I'll copy it again...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2013163

:biggrin: xo
anybody have the june 2012 unit 2 paper and mark scheme?
Reply 1357
Original post by ChooChooCherry
u my dear are awesome

:wink:
Reply 1358
anyone got a link to the mark scheme of the edexcel chemistry unit 1 paper 15 may 2012?
sumdy help me wit chemistry calculation?? pls

Quick Reply