The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Biology - B7 and Ideas in Context

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was also told that 35+ on coursework this year is full UMS marks, however that sounds unlikely to me :/ :smile:
Reply 61
Thanks a lot for these :biggrin:
They're really helpful!!!
Reply 62
Original post by Liam2404
Thank you so much, i feel alot more confident now :smile:

Haha no problem! Just don't be too complacent and spend a good set of days of revision on biology, I would love it to be my first exam but I have an RE one beforehand :frown: I'd say 4 good days would be the least you'd need to do to get the A*, the LEAST..
Reply 63
I was also told that 35+ on coursework this year is full UMS marks, however that sounds unlikely to me :/ :smile:

That'd be great! Unfortunately there's no marks to UMS conversion for OCR like there is for AQA so I cannot tell you that for sure! It'd mean that for my chemistry C7 I would only need like 75 UMS haha :smile: Though I didn't get to sit C1,2,3 in January so that's on presumption I get a 45 UMS on that exam XD
Reply 64
Here are some questions. If anyone needs the answers for any of the questions, just reply:
1) Why might a non-native species be introduced into a country?
2) Explain what is meant by foreign/ invasive/ alien species?
3) What is biodiversity?
4) Why is it important to maintain diversity? (What is the problem if we only have one type of wheat or one species of butterflies?)
5) 600 aliens species have been identified in Europe. That number has increased by 75%. How many alien species are present now.
6) What is used to stop foreign species getting to Europe before international transport was common?
7) Scientists are demanding Europe wide legislation to protect native species - what new rules would they want to see?
8)Why might mosquitoes be able to thrive in Europe now when they couldn't cope before?
9) What is biological control?
10) What are the advantages of biological control?
11) What are the disadvantages of biological control?
12) What do we call organisms that transmit infections to humans?
13) What disease do mosquitoes commonly transmit to humans?
14) List as many reasons possible why alien species often flourish?
Reply 65
Original post by Aidn
That'd be great! Unfortunately there's no marks to UMS conversion for OCR like there is for AQA so I cannot tell you that for sure! It'd mean that for my chemistry C7 I would only need like 75 UMS haha :smile: Though I didn't get to sit C1,2,3 in January so that's on presumption I get a 45 UMS on that exam XD

haha, I'm sure you will. I think it'd make people's lives alot easier, but that is why i doubt it is true. Afew teachers in our school have said it i think. C7 went disappointing for me, which is why i hope it is true. Your right about biology, i had to revise for days to get 4,5,6, and i have 2 maths exams in the same week. Think the rest of my week will be revising. I think Physics is the same for an A* btw, so judging by what you said about the other 2 subjects im on an A, which im happy with. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by ShehaniJ
Here are some questions. If anyone needs the answers for any of the questions, just reply:
3) What is biodiversity?
4) Why is it important to maintain diversity? (What is the problem if we only have one type of wheat or one species of butterflies?)
5) 600 aliens species have been identified in Europe. That number has increased by 75%. How many alien species are present now.
6) What is used to stop foreign species getting to Europe before international transport was common?
7) Scientists are demanding Europe wide legislation to protect native species - what new rules would they want to see?
8)Why might mosquitoes be able to thrive in Europe now when they couldn't cope before?

The ones on biological control, i get it, but im unsure on the extent we'll have to write, so could you tell me like 3 pros and 3 cons? :smile:
Original post by Aidn
Here's the next few:
t9.jpgt10.jpgt11.jpgt12.jpgt13.jpgt14.jpg
t15.jpgt16.jpgt17.jpgt18.jpg

You missed Page 82?
Reply 68
I really need to start revising for this....
Reply 69
Hey can anyone help me on this confusion.
The article states "Because it is bigger and more aggressive than native ladybirds" (speaking of the harlequin ladybird)

What does it mean by more aggressive? I have a feeling this would be asked.
have you looked at the past papers on the OCR website?
or you could try http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/B7-Ideas-in-Context-2012-6206596/ which is a teacher posted resource to be used inthe class room but you could try it on your own
Original post by Coke1
I really need to start revising for this....

Me too...after today's barbecue I am cracking down and try and be a little bit of a recluse. 7 exams in the next two weeks :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 72
HAve done little revision since the exams started. Ugh, lost all motivation for this....

The grade boundaries were REALLY high for last years paper, it was 42/55 for an A* and 34 for an A.
Reply 73
Original post by Azzy G
1. What is meant by the term 'Biodiversity'?

2. Why is it important for a habit to have large numbers of plant and animal species living in it?

3. If one species disappears from a habitat, what effects could this have?

4. If there were 600 invasive species noted in Europe in 1982, how many are there estimated to be now?

5. For what reasons might species be introduced to an area intentionally?

6. By what means might species be introduced to an area unintentionally?

7. The ruddy duck and harlequin ladybird are described as 'agressive' species. What is meant by this?

could you post the answers?
Reply 74
Original post by ShehaniJ
3) What is biodiversity?

Hmm, familiar name :wink: Do you have the answers? :biggrin:
Reply 75
I have just started revising for this, but the thing is, i dont know WHAT to revise as i was on holiday at the time my class did it,
Does anyone know what kind of topics i should look at/revise for?
Reply 76
The ones on biological control, i get it, but im unsure on the extent we'll have to write, so could you tell me like 3 pros and 3 cons? :smile:

yeahh just list three it will be fine.
Like the questions that we had in the ideas in context for chemistry and physics, you don't need to give really lengthy answers, just straight to the point.
For the advantages, I got three points and the disadvantages I got two points :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Angelica.
Hmm, familiar name :wink: Do you have the answers? :biggrin:

Hey Angelica :smile:
Yeah i do have the answers but im not bothered to type up all of the answers.
Just ask the answers for the questions that you are unsure about.
If you want me to type up all of the answers, let me know but I might do it in parts depending how bothered I am :smile:
Is it just me but I find revising for Biology the hardest out of all three as there is much more content and the grade boundaries are sooo high :frown:
Reply 79
Original post by Freddy-Francis
You missed Page 82?

Sorry about that, i'll edit the last post with it in it and put it here as well just incase! :smile:

001.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending