The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

This whole black IQ malarkey..

There has been a study that showed that black people have a lower IQ than white people and that Jews have higher IQs than white people.

This does not mean that anyone is genetically more intelligent than the other and i'll explain why:

- Intelligence is more complicated than you think and there are MANY factors that determine intelligence, that have not been taken into account. For example, wealth. The wealthier the people, the more likely they are to be educated better and hang around with other more educated people and thus become more intelligent individuals. Black people are generally much much poorer than white and even more so than Jews. African countries are among the poorest in the world and even the black people in developed countries are generally the poorest in society. Jews on the other hand are richer than whites on average and have higher IQs, get my drift?

If there is a study done that compares the IQs of rich black people with rich white people and one that compares poor white people with poor black people, i guarantee you that the results would be much closer. There are many other factors of intelligence and it's widely agreed upon that genetics dont play a major role at all. So by simply stating that one people are more intelligent than the other because of their average IQ, is just ridiculous, because there are sooo many important factors that haven't been considered.

- IQ is a poor measurement of intelligence. Intelligence is more complicated than that. There are different kinds of intelligence, like cognitive and emotional intelligence. Some people are musical geniuses, but cant count for squat and vice versa. They're apples and oranges, you cant just bung them all in and create an average, you have to look at them individually.

So please, stop saying that whites are smarter than blacks or that any race of people is more intelligent than the other, because you cannot conclude such a big statement from one simple statistic. The only solid evidence there is of anyone being smarter than any else, is the study done that shows that aboriginals have a better visual memory than other people on average. Peace out.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why should people be so sensitive about this? People who discuss this or for whatever reason point this out are called 'racist' by so many others, well it's just bull****. There are physical differences between races, why wouldn't there be mental differences either? To deny it because you think it's racist is to be willfully blind.

It is also a fact that orientals score higher average IQ than whites, and that Blacks tend to have denser muscle mass than any other race. What are we to do about this? Nothing - apart from treat those of other races no differently to how you would treat those of your own race. It is irrelevant, because these statistics mean nothing to the individual.
Reply 2
Original post by Llewellyn_J
Why should people be so sensitive about this? People who discuss this or for whatever reason point this out are called 'racist' by so many others, well it's just bull****. There are physical differences between races, why wouldn't there be mental differences either? To deny it because you think it's racist is to be willfully blind.

It is also a fact that orientals score higher average IQ than whites, and that Blacks tend to have denser muscle mass than any other race. What are we to do about this? Nothing - apart from treat those of other races no differently to how you would treat those of your own race. It is irrelevant, because these statistics mean nothing to the individual.

It's not even that, this whole thread is to point out that just because one people have higher IQs on average, it doesn't mean that they have a smaller genetic intellectual potential/capacity. Muscle mass and the such are easier to measure than genetic intellectual potential. There are no studies that solidly prove that blacks have more/less genetic intellectual potential than any one else and i challenge anyone to give me such evidence.

Yes, our skin colour has changed because we live in different parts of the world with different conditions, but our intelligence hasn't as far as we know, because wherever you live, increased intelligence generally increases the likelihood of survival.
Reply 3
Still I am black, still i just graduated from cambridge :P meh lol
Reply 4
Original post by 4RealBlud
There has been a study that showed that black people have a lower IQ than white people and that Jews have higher IQs than white people.

This does not mean that anyone is genetically more intelligent than the other and i'll explain why:

- Intelligence is more complicated than you think and there are MANY factors that determine intelligence, that have not been taken into account. For example, wealth. The wealthier the people, the more likely they are to be educated better and hang around with other more educated people and thus become more intelligent individuals. Black people are generally much much poorer than white and even more so than Jews. African countries are among the poorest in the world and even the black people in developed countries are generally the poorest in society. Jews on the other hand are richer than whites on average and have higher IQs, get my drift?

If there is a study done that compares the IQs of rich black people with rich white people and one that compares poor white people with poor black people, i guarantee you that the results would be much closer. There are many other factors of intelligence and it's widely agreed upon that genetics dont play a major role at all. So by simply stating that one people are more intelligent than the other because of their average IQ, is just ridiculous, because there are sooo many important factors that haven't been considered.

- IQ is a poor measurement of intelligence. Intelligence is more complicated than that. There are different kinds of intelligence, like cognitive and emotional intelligence. Some people are musical geniuses, but cant count for squat and vice versa. They're apples and oranges, you cant just bung them all in and create an average, you have to look at them individually.

So please, stop saying that whites are smarter than blacks or that any race of people is more intelligent than the other, because you cannot conclude such a big statement from one simple statistic. The only solid evidence there is of anyone being smarter than any else, is the study done that shows that aboriginals have a better visual memory than other people on average. Peace out.

Really, are you suggesting that Australian aboriginal people are more intelligent than everybody else?
Reply 5
1: IQ is irrelevant. It is a rubbish test of intelligence.

2: Cultural differences associated with race will have a greater impact upon a persons intelligence rather than their race itself.
This is to say, the average IQ of a group of white people living in a black culture will be the same as a group of black people living in a black culture.

3: the OP is actually correct in most of things, *claps hands* BRAVO!

4: Awaiting vedderfan94 to make a racist comment and say how good Durham is
Reply 6
Original post by Rennit
1: IQ is irrelevant. It is a rubbish test of intelligence.

2: Cultural differences associated with race will have a greater impact upon a persons intelligence rather than their race itself.
This is to say, the average IQ of a group of white people living in a black culture will be the same as a group of black people living in a black culture.

Can you prove that?
Reply 7
Agreed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by Howard
Really, are you suggesting that Australian aboriginal people are more intelligent than everybody else?

They did a study and found out that aboriginals have better visual intelligence or something like that. The part of the brain that involves sight is 20% (i think) larger than of other species. It means that they have the ability to memorize visual images better. Apparently they need it in case they get lost in the outback.
I'm pretty sure the 'bell curve' type studies were controlled for socioeconomic status...if i'm wrong about that let me know.
Yes, our skin colour has changed because we live in different parts of the world with different conditions, but our intelligence hasn't as far as we know, because wherever you live, increased intelligence generally increases the likelihood of survival.

Very wrong. Eurasian races (Caucasoids, Mongoloids) have higher IQ's than Negroids because they evolved in a climate that demanded higher intelligence. Cold climates acted as a selection pressure for increased intelligence.

Professor Richard Lynn has written heavily on this topic -

During the main Wurm glaciation of approximately 24-10,000 years ago winter temperatures in Europe and north east Asia fell by 5-15Celcius. The terrain became cold grasslands and tundra with only a few trees in sheltered river valleys and the environment was broadly similar to that of present day Alaska (Nilsson, 1983). Survival in these conditions would have called for greater intelligencThe problems of survival in the northern latitudes of Eurasia would have resided in the cold winters and consisted principally of obtaining food and keeping warm. Unlike the tropics and subtropics, plant foods were seasonal and not available for many months during the winter and spring. People therefore became wholly reliant on hunting large herbivores such as mammoth, horse and reindeer to secure their food supply.

The effective hunting of large herbivores would have presented cognitive problems. Large herbivores can run fast and are virtually impossible to catch simply by chasing after them. It is particularly difficult to hunt them in open grasslands such as were present in Northern Eurasia, where there is good visibility for several thousand yards and the herbivores have ample warning of approaching predators. Hunting in open grasslands is more difficult than hunting in the woodlands of the tropics and sub tropics where there is plenty of cover for hunters to hide in. The only way of hunting animals in open grasslands was to make use of natural traps into which the animals could be driven. One of the commonest traps was the narrow ravine where some of the beasts would stumble and could be speared by members of the group waiting in ambush. In addition, the herbivores could be surrounded and driven over cliffs, into bogs or into the loops of rivers (Geist, 1978; Mellars, 1989).

For effective hunting of large herbivores people would have needed to manufacture a variety of tools from stone, wood and bone for making spearheads and for cutting. When these peoples had killed a large herbivore they would have had to skin and butcher it into pieces of a size that could be carried back to the base camp. For this it was necessary to manufacture a variety of sophisticated cutting and skinning tools.

The second principal set of problems encountered in the northern latitudes would have centered round keeping warm. People had to solve the problems of making fires, clothes and shelters. The problems of starting fires and keeping them burning would have been considerably more difficult in Eurasia than in Africa. In addition clothing and shelters were unnecessary in sub-Saharan Africa but were made in Europe during the main Wurm glaciation. Needles were manufactured from bone for sewing together animal skins and shelters were constructed from large bones and skins (Geist, 1978; Mellars, 1989).

The manufacture of sophisticated tools and making fires, clothing and shelters would have been cognitively demanding. Those groups which could not succeed would have died out, leaving those with alleles for higher intelligence as the survivors. Through this process the Caucasoid and Mongoloid peoples of Eurasia would have evolved higher average intelligence levels than the Negroids exposed to a less cognitively demanding environment in sub-Saharan Africa.

Wrong again. When Negroids are raised in adverse conditions, their IQ's only raise by 13 points, still far under the average Caucasoid and Mongoloid (Lynn, 2006). So for example when Negroids ('Blacks') are adopted by ''White American'' (Caucasoid) families, their IQ is still lower than White Americans.

IQ is genetic. The ''White''/''Black'' gap can never be closed. Even when Blacks are raised by middle or upper class Whites, they still are lower in IQ than Whites.
Reply 12
Original post by Pyramidologist
Very wrong. Eurasian races (Caucasoids, Mongoloids) have higher IQ's than Negroids because they evolved in a climate that demanded higher intelligence. Cold climates acted as a selection pressure for increased intelligence.

Professor Richard Lynn has written heavily on this topic -

:rolleyes: Well it was bound to happen sometime. Congrats, you have managed to completely ignore what i've written, whilst making a claim that was written by one single person with no direct proof that it is true. Bravo sir.
Reply 13
They did a study and found out that aboriginals have better visual intelligence or something like that. The part of the brain that involves sight is 20% (i think) larger than of other species. It means that they have the ability to memorize visual images better. Apparently they need it in case they get lost in the outback.

Unfortunately, most modern aboriginals would survive no better in the outback than I would.
Reply 14
Original post by Howard
Unfortunately, most modern aboriginals would survive no better in the outback than I would.

LOL, yes they would!
:rolleyes: Well it was bound to happen sometime. Congrats, you have managed to completely ignore what i've written, whilst making a claim that was written by one single person with no direct proof that it is true. Bravo sir.

I'm more inclined to believe in what peer-reviewed academic research has validated, rather than what some random Joe Blogs has written on an internet forum, if thats what you mean.
Original post by Pyramidologist
I'm more inclined to believe in what peer-reviewed academic research has validated, rather than what some random Joe Blogs has written on an internet forum, if thats what you mean.

When it comes to things as subjective as this, the 'expert' label counts for ****.
Reply 17
LOL, yes they would!

Not so sure mate. Have you spent any time around them? Try Cape York for a holiday - most of them are lying around in their own filth - too wasted to remember their own name let alone do much more.

Ain't a bit like Crocodile Dundee.

Think it's more complicated than that. If one race were more intelligent than another on average this wouldn't mean that all people from the first race would be more intelligent that all of those from the second. A genius is still a genius and a moron is still a moron regardless of race.

But people shouldn't get so touchy about these studies. The purpose of science is truth and if it were true that black people are less intelligent then people just need to deal with that. On an individual basis it doesn't matter, a person's intelligence is not based on race.
Black people are less intelligent than white people.

White people are less intelligent than East Asian people.

Why is the first statement difficult to stomach but not so the second statement?

Latest