The Student Room Group

Which University below would you choose if you were me? Please someone help me! ;(

Guys,

tough moment for me to choose which university to study in!

Here is my situation:
I come from Hong Kong and I've just got my HKDSE (kind of a public exam like GCE) results as follows:

Chinese - Lvl 4 (GCE A2 B)
English - Lvl 5* (IELTS overall 7.5)
Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Algebra & Calculus - Lvl 3 (GCE A2 C)
Liberal Studies (kind of rubbish but compulsory subject) - Lvl 4 (no GCE)
Physics - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Chemistry - Lvl 3 (GCE C)
History - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

I have the following offers:
1. University of Toronto - BA (International Relations)
2. University of St. Andrews - BA (Intl Relations and History)

What would you choose if you were me? I am also considering entering the UCAS Clearings 2012,,, what institutions would you suggest me to contact, if I am going to study [History/ International Relations] - related subjects?

Any advices and suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks very much everyone!!

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gbrsyjoseph
Guys,

Here is my situation:
I come from Hong Kong and I've just got my HKDSE (kind of a public exam like GCE) results as follows:

Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

What would you choose if you were me? I am also considering entering the UCAS Clearings 2012,,, what institutions would you suggest me to contact, if I am going to study [History/ International Relations] - related subjects?

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

Wow! You're really smart haha :P I would say come to the UK because Im studying in the UK but I would choose Toronto because St Andrews is a small town with probs not a lot to do and I generally want to see USA/ Canada etc so because Ive lived in UK all my life I would choose Toronto tbh but from HK I think in the UK it is more expensive?

In case you're wondering Im a BBC btw :smile:

I am going to Edinburgh university in september but was going to apply for international relations at St A... Why didn't you consider Edinburgh uni?

I would say St A's reputation is very good but Im not too sure about Toronto sorry and I think in general UK unis are better?? just my opinion haha btw where in HK you from? :biggrin:

I've just come back from HK, it was amazing!! The sun and food, Im hoping to study abroad at HKU in third year so fingers crossed :P
Guys,

Here is my situation:

Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

It's very unlikely that you'll find a better university than either of those via clearing, by the way.
Reply 3
Whatever you do, dont go through clearing!
I would pick Toronto straight away!
St Andrews is located in Scotland...rain..rain and more rain!!
Reply 4
Original post by magenta1
Wow! You're really smart haha :P I would say come to the UK because Im studying in the UK but I would choose Toronto because St Andrews is a small town with probs not a lot to do and I generally want to see USA/ Canada etc so because Ive lived in UK all my life I would choose Toronto tbh but from HK I think in the UK it is more expensive?

In case you're wondering Im a BBC btw :smile:

I am going to Edinburgh university in september but was going to apply for international relations at St A... Why didn't you consider Edinburgh uni?

I would say St A's reputation is very good but Im not too sure about Toronto sorry and I think in general UK unis are better?? just my opinion haha btw where in HK you from? :biggrin:

I've just come back from HK, it was amazing!! The sun and food, Im hoping to study abroad at HKU in third year so fingers crossed :P

Magenta:
Thank you for your reply. I'm living in eastern district of Hong Kong Island (somewhere around Stanley, you know?). Well actually both U Toronto and U St An is equally expensive for me :P as I'm classified as an international student in both countries (pity that I'm not a British national nor a Canadian haha). I myself actually like UK more, as I've been to Canada and there are a lot of Chinese immigrants there (which I don't like, the study environment).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Hassi:
Oh really? Eg University of Durham or Edinburgh? I saw that they are quite in a better position (ranks) than U St An...

Reply 6
Both are good universities although I believe that St. Andrews has a higher ranking overall. You mentioned that you did not like the study environment in Canada and like the UK more. Based on this, I suggest that you study in the UK instead as you will be studying in university for at least 3 years and you wouldn't want to be stuck in a place you don't enjoy, especially if you had an alternative.

Many high ranking universities will appear in clearing but there is no guarantee that you will get into any of them. One of my classmates got into Edinburgh through clearing last year but as I said, there is no guarantee and you may find yourself with no offers in the end. (As you will have to withdraw from your St. Andrews offer to be entered into clearing)

:smile:
Reply 7
Why are people choosing based on environments, chose based on future prospects man.

I can't answer but my advice is look at which university will you benefit the most from, not where you'll have the most fun in the sun.
Reply 8
Original post by Vulpes
Both are good universities although I believe that St. Andrews has a higher ranking overall. You mentioned that you did not like the study environment in Canada and like the UK more. Based on this, I suggest that you study in the UK instead as you will be studying in university for at least 3 years and you wouldn't want to be stuck in a place you don't enjoy, especially if you had an alternative.

Many high ranking universities will appear in clearing but there is no guarantee that you will get into any of them. One of my classmates got into Edinburgh through clearing last year but as I said, there is no guarantee and you may find yourself with no offers in the end. (As you will have to withdraw from your St. Andrews offer to be entered into clearing)

Thank you very much Vulpes! are you from Hong Kong too? saw the flag there!
University of St Andrews (overall "TIMES" ranking: 85, Subject (Arts and Humanities: 24; NO SOCAIL SCIENCES RANKING --> didnt have that course?!)
University of Toronto (overall: 19, Subject(Arts and Humanities): 10, Social Sciences: 18)
So how would you decide now? The deepest problem in my mind is that,,, i really love the culture of UK, but University of St Andrew's overall (intl) ranking is way too low...

BTW, does LSE usually have clearings quota? Thanks guys!
Reply 9
Original post by Venom123
Why are people choosing based on environments, chose based on future prospects man.

I can't answer but my advice is look at which university will you benefit the most from, not where you'll have the most fun in the sun.

Thank you venom.
however i dont want to regret about my choice in these 4 years (or even the rest of my life!) so i have to ask for opinion here... =(
Reply 10
University of St Andrews (overall "TIMES" ranking: 85, Subject (Arts and Humanities: 24; NO SOCAIL SCIENCES RANKING --> didnt have that course?!)
University of Toronto (overall: 19, Subject(Arts and Humanities): 10, Social Sciences: 18)
So how would you decide now? The deepest problem in my mind is that,,, i really love the culture of UK, but University of St Andrew's overall (intl) ranking is way too low...

Yes I am. :awesome:

Personally, i prefer QS rankings. Anyways, both of these universities are very reputable (being in the top 100) and you will not be significantly disadvantaged when applying to either of them. Do bear in mind that university rankings are generally based on funding and research, not the quality of teaching.

I normally recommend people to apply to a university that is BOTH reputable and in an environment they like. Imo there isnt a point in studying in an uncomfortable environment as it will most likely affect your performance. Dont get me wrong tho, as there must obviously be a balance between job prospects and uni life.

All universities have a clearing quota but this is dependant on how many of their applicants have secured their offers so there is no set quota that anyone can tell you.

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
You might not get to experience much UK culture at St As. From what I hear, people there usually entertain themselves since there isn't much to do in the town.

And at any top uni in the UK (or anywhere even) you will be surrounded by Chinese internationals!
Reply 12
Bad nice for the last sentence, toosh!

Reply 13
I am of quite different opinions than the others in this thread. While I haven't been to Torronto, and can't advise you on it, I have been to St. Andrews and quite loved the town and the university. In my opinion St Andrews is one of the most beatiful environments you could be.

However, you should definitely think about the size of the town. It would be perfect for me, but since you are from Hong Kong, it will be quite different (buzy vs quiet), actually the polar opposite.
Reply 14

I can guarentee you that none of the top UK universities will be in Clearing. So Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE ect. St Andrews is a very good university, I doubt you'll find anything better in Clearing.
Personally, I'd go to St Andrews as you said in your other thread that you prefer the course there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Guys,

Here is my situation:

Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

If you have an offer from St. Andrews you would be mad to go through clearing. I'm afraid I don't know anything about UoT, but St. Andrews is one of the very best universities in the UK. You could do far, far worse.
Reply 16
Guys,

Here is my situation:

Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

Go to Toronto.

You'll probably have better experiences in Toronto, meet more interesting people, have more opportunities etc.

St Andrews is at the arse end of Scotland and isn't that good - bit of an Oxford rejects/public school place. Also it is cold and isolated. I can see why you'd go there if you liked Harry Potter or can take a load of money up there to do all the rich scottish things and entertain yourself - but there isnt much to do aside from that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Guys,

Here is my situation:

Maths - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)
Music - Lvl 5 (GCE A2 A)

Cheers, Poor Josef =(

At the end of the day it's up to you. I'd personally pick University of Toronto.
Both universities are one of the best in their respective countries and they both rank pretty well worldwide.
I'm not sure what the reputation is like for both universities, but if you care a lot about reputation then go with which ever is most highly regarded by the industry.
Environment is also a big deal though. Going from Hong Kong to St. Andrews is a big leap as Hong Kong is such a big city and the climate is completely different where as Toronto is a pretty big city too so you'd probably feel more at home in Toronto.
You could also look at costs and regularity of flights and living as well if that is in any way a concern for you.
You've done well to get offers from both universities so I'd just go with whichever looks the more attractive to you.
Reply 18
Depends if you want to move to a big city or a small seaside town. If the former, Toronto, if not, St Andrews. Although

Ignore those raving about the weather.
Toronto has hotter summers but colder (and snowier) winters than St Andrews but less rainy days.
Reply 19
Original post by 079
Whatever you do, dont go through clearing!
I would pick Toronto straight away!
St Andrews is located in Scotland...rain..rain and more rain!!

Aww come on give Scotland a chance yes rain but there's beautiful countryside, nice culture but bit biased since ive lived in scotland all my life so maybe if you are going to uni choose somewhere warm? I'm just used to living here thats why haha :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending