The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Today I found out it's not 'just desserts' but rather 'just deserts'.

de·sert The state or fact of deserving reward or punishment.

As it's Halloween I must mention I used to think 'trick or treat' was 'trickle treat'

What about when fans at football matches see themselves on the big screen and by default wave at it, as oppossed to the camera. lol

Scroll to see replies

Someone on my facebook feed wrote about 'treacle treaters' earlier. Nearly took a gun to my own face.
I used to think 'fingers' were called 'thingers' and used to have proper heated debates with people who said otherwise. I was 7, I'm over it now.
Reply 3
When I was 6 I thought you asked people "which football team do you sport?"
When people say 'it's a whole different kettle of fish', kettle is collective term for fish and not the appliance you use to make tea. :redface:
In year two everyone thought that fire was a swear word :/
I genuinely heard 'euthanasia' as 'youth in Asia' until I studied it in RE.

The most important one is- when you talk about hunting someone down like a dog, the hunter is the dog in that situation, not the hunted. THIS BLOWS MY MIND.
Reply 6
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
In year two everyone thought that fire was a swear word :/
I genuinely heard 'euthanasia' as 'youth in Asia' until I studied it in RE.

The most important one is- when you talk about hunting someone down like a dog, the hunter is the dog in that situation, not the hunted. THIS BLOWS MY MIND.

You have to watch this!

Watch it from 1:10 onwards.

Original post by U.S Lecce
You have to watch this!

Watch it from 1:10 onwards.

hehehehehehe:biggrin:
Reply 8
Growing up catholic I thought the song "walk in the light" was "war, kinder-light"
Reply 9
I, and many people, would assume the red juice from meat is blood, which it isn't.

I used to think 'prison' was spelt 'prizon' in primary school.
Reply 10
I used to think that north and up were the same thing :awesome:

(In my defence, I have no 3D vision, so they're more similar for me than they are for other people...? It's not a very good excuse, but I do suck at visualising :tongue:)
Reply 11
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
When people say 'it's a whole different kettle of fish', kettle is collective term for fish and not the appliance you use to make tea. :redface:

lol....never knew that. I would always picture a kitchen kettle full of fish.
Reply 12
This page amuses me on a number of levels, not least of which is just the fact that it exists.
(edited 11 years ago)

I want to make fun of you, but thats actually pretty adorable :3
When I was young I thought teachers never made mistakes.

Ever! :tongue:
Original post by mdr
When I was 6 I thought you asked people "which football team do you sport?"

So cute!
Reply 16

It... doesn't mean an actual kettle?

:ashamed:
Reply 17
When I was 6 I thought drinking was abhorent, evil and I'd never ever do it. How, sadly, wrong I was.

No, it is the appliance in which you poach fish

Original post by Fusion
I, and many people, would assume the red juice from meat is blood, which it isn't.

I used to think 'prison' was spelt 'prizon' in primary school.

what is it then?

Quick Reply

Latest