Reply 1780
Original post by Kwak
Durham conditional!

Ahh so freakin' jealous!
Can I ask what your grades/predicted etc are? And when you applied? :tongue:
Reply 1781
Sent 15th October.

A*A*A*A*

There have been actually three offers from Durham at TSR so far.

Check out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Law_Offers_2012
Original post by Harry.K
Which would you say is the more respected university, overall and for law; Surrey university or Brunel university?

Overall, I'd say Surrey has a better reputation. For law, I think they're more or less similiar.
Just got a conditional offer from Liverpool. All this waiting is not good for my heart lol.
Hi all, need some advice on where to apply:

I've got solid GCSEs (well the Malaysian equivalent anyway), but possibly weak predicted grades for A-levels (just finished A-levels in Singapore, as a side note). Unfortunately my college's policy is very strict on keeping candidates in the dark about their predicted grades, so not much luck getting my scores...

Generally I haven't done very well for my As, BUT my actual exams actually went pretty well and I'm pretty confident of a shot at the minimum 3As I'll likely need. The problem then is whether my tutors took this into account when predicting my grades, because I don't know whether the difference between the my college papers and my actual papers is something more relative to me or a general difference that usually applies to most people - so honestly my predicted grades could be anything from AACC to AAAA. (I'm quite confident of two subjects, the other two not so much).

I'll assume my predicted grades stand at maybe AABB. Then there's my LNAT - no scores yet obviously but I think the MCQs were challenging - then again I was aiming for a 30/42 so I'm guessing ending up with a mid-20s may not be bad, if the average isn't correspondingly higher. Messed up the essay, got cut off as I was deleting my last sentence - probably not a big problem.

So where'd you guys recommend I apply to with:
GCSE equivalent: 9A+s
A-Level predicted grades: AABB
A-Level subjects are Chemistry, Math (the two iffy ones), English Literature and Biology (the stronger ones).

I'm quite set on at least taking a bit of a risk with UCL/KCL, see what I can get there. I've also heard lots of good things about Cardiff, though I'm less familiar with the level of offers they usually give out - AAAs commonly, I hear.

My plan was 3 'higher' universities (I mean, in terms of offers) and 2 'insurance' universities - and in case my LNAT went badly, maybe 3 LNAT unis and 2 non-LNAT unis.

Was also looking at places like SOAS (got quite a good impression), Nottingham and QMUL. But I also have a feeling this is still aiming a little too high, especially for my 2 'insurance' spots. Any ideas, anyone?

Really, really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by DroidRaptor

I've got solid GCSEs (well the Malaysian equivalent anyway), but possibly weak predicted grades for A-levels (just finished A-levels in Singapore, as a side note). Unfortunately my college's policy is very strict on keeping candidates in the dark about their predicted grades, so not much luck getting my scores...

Generally I haven't done very well for my As, BUT my actual exams actually went pretty well and I'm pretty confident of a shot at the minimum 3As I'll likely need. The problem then is whether my tutors took this into account when predicting my grades, because I don't know whether the difference between the my college papers and my actual papers is something more relative to me or a general difference that usually applies to most people - so honestly my predicted grades could be anything from AACC to AAAA. (I'm quite confident of two subjects, the other two not so much).

I'll assume my predicted grades stand at maybe AABB. Then there's my LNAT - no scores yet obviously but I think the MCQs were challenging - then again I was aiming for a 30/42 so I'm guessing ending up with a mid-20s may not be bad, if the average isn't correspondingly higher. Messed up the essay, got cut off as I was deleting my last sentence - probably not a big problem.

A-Level subjects are Chemistry, Math (the two iffy ones), English Literature and Biology (the stronger ones).

I'm quite set on at least taking a bit of a risk with UCL/KCL, see what I can get there. I've also heard lots of good things about Cardiff, though I'm less familiar with the level of offers they usually give out - AAAs commonly, I hear.

My plan was 3 'higher' universities (I mean, in terms of offers) and 2 'insurance' universities - and in case my LNAT went badly, maybe 3 LNAT unis and 2 non-LNAT unis.

Was also looking at places like SOAS (got quite a good impression), Nottingham and QMUL. But I also have a feeling this is still aiming a little too high, especially for my 2 'insurance' spots. Any ideas, anyone?

Many universities will allow you in with slightly lower grades if you're an international student, so AAB could be enough. Your GCSE equivalents are outstanding. Go for it; nothing ventured, nothing gained. QMUL I'm not sure about though: they want A*AA I believe, might be a stretch.
Original post by Thegoodleftundone
Many universities will allow you in with slightly lower grades if you're an international student, so AAB could be enough. Your GCSE equivalents are outstanding. Go for it; nothing ventured, nothing gained. QMUL I'm not sure about though: they want A*AA I believe, might be a stretch.

Fair enough :smile: though, Singapore A-levels don't have the A* grade so I don't exactly know how offers might differ - from what I hear it means that AAA => AAA and A*AA also => AAA. Guess I'm going for it, just got to pin down exactly which unis now then. Thanks!
Reply 1787
Original post by 5saqibm
anyone got any offers from Uni of Sheffield and Newcastle? :smile:

I've had an offer from Sheffield for Law and Criminology
Original post by BeckyJacombs
Which is considered better for Law, Exeter or Southampton? Which is considered a better uni in general?

Exeter I would say, for both.
Reply 1789
Original post by Fward
I've had an offer from Sheffield for Law and Criminology

oh congrats, i already got 3 offers just Newcastle and Sheffield left :/ think i'm going to be rejected :frown:
Reply 1790
Got rejected by Durham, so gutted :frown:
Original post by adam0311

Original post by adam0311
I'm going to be completely honest with you...your grades don't seem high enough for any of those places. If you can get predicted AAA, it might be worth picking one of Warwick/KCL/Nottingham (with the notion an offer is unlikely) and maybe something like Newcastle/Manchester/Brimingham. Then the rest being something more reachable.

Right, I have applied for Law at Queen Mary, UCL, Westminster, Greenwich and Keele. My AS grades were crap BBCD but my predicted are 3 As. My GCSE's were okay 1 A* a few As mostly Bs... but UCL want 3 As and LNAT? and queenmary an A*AA... honestly have i got a shot? i already got conditional offers from westminster, greenwich and keele.... ps i have a personal.. personal statement...??
Reply 1792
Original post by 5saqibm
oh congrats, i already got 3 offers just Newcastle and Sheffield left :/ think i'm going to be rejected :frown:

Cool, where are your offers from??
Im sure they will get back to you soon:smile:, when did your application get sent off??
Reply 1793
Original post by Fward
Cool, where are your offers from??
Im sure they will get back to you soon:smile:, when did your application get sent off??

got offers from University of Liverpool, Sussex University and Brunel University (Law with Placement), sent my application of on the 25th November, what about you? :smile:
Original post by DroidRaptor

Well, at least you did better than me in my SPM. There's no problem for you in applying to universities with AAA requirements. Both Liverpool and Manchester are AAA and I got an ABB and AAB offer from them respectively. :biggrin: Also Cardiff is a good insurance choice as it doesn't require LNAT (same with Liverpool). I talked to one of the law professor in Cardiff, he said they generally accept students with ABB or something like that. UCL is the only University of London with AAA requirement for Law. The rest of them are all A*AA.
Guys, anyone know if the universities stop giving out offers over the christmas period?
I have an unconditional from the University of Birmingham, yay or nay?
Original post by aimlessinwonder
Guys, anyone know if the universities stop giving out offers over the christmas period?

Yes, they do.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Yes, they do,=.

Ah I figured as much. At least this will give me a break from obsessively checking track. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Yes, they do.

I heard they only don't on Christmas Day and New Year but admissions tutors don't get holidays because they're not students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending