The Student Room Group

We know why guys want to be taller. But why do girls want to be taller?

i have found that its not only guys who care about their height a lot. girls seem to care just as much about it too. its obvious why guys want to be taller- girls find taller guys much more attractive. height is the number 1 physical preference most girls look for in a guy. i would even go so far in saying its the number 1 preference overall- before anything else, the average woman will consider height first. so you can see why its so crucial for a guy to be tall. the ideal height for a guy in terms of his attraction to women is just short of 6ft2 (something like 6ft 1.95 inches). i even know some guys who are depressed/suicidal over their short height (yes THAT is how much it matters).

but what i want to know is why do girls want to be taller? guys dont care about the height of a girl. most want a short girl anyway. for guys, they care about hot face and body. they are put off by tall girls and i know some guys who say its off-putting and ugly if a girl is too tall (these are guys who are 6foot and over btw so its not like they are short. and by too tall, they mean 5f10+. taller than the average guy).

it begs the question why do girls want to be taller? i dont understand:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

My reason...I'm too short. Not even 5ft and I'm 18, so will probably not grow anymore. If I were too be a little taller even 5'3 or something then i wouldn't need to use a stool in work to reach stuff! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Being taller makes them look thinner? More elegant?
I'm 5ft 4 but i honestly hate my height i wish i was a bit taller .Everything looks better on tall girls and yes i do get people making fun of me for being short :frown:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
My reason...I'm too short. Not even 5ft and I'm 18, so will probably not grow anymore. If I were too be a little taller even 5'3 or something then i wouldn't need to use a stool in work to reach stuff! :frown:

This. I'm 4ft9 and won't grow any more. I'd like to not have to climb the shelves in the supermarket, have to turn up all my trousers and not be the butt of every joke...
I just want to taller so when surrounded by friends I don't feel like a shrimp.:ashamed2:

As for girls wanting to be taller? Well if the guy is tall then it's just practically easier if the girl is fairly tall as well?
Reply 6
I've never understood this either, I think 5ft4 is like ideal height! Mind you I guess a lot of taller females have the nice long legs whereas there is potential for a shorter girl to just look stubby.

I'm 5ft6 and happy with my height as it's pretty average.
Original post by Whatever9999
I'm 5ft 4 but i honestly hate my height i wish i was a bit taller .Everything looks better on tall girls and yes i do get people making fun of me for being short :frown:

But 5'4 isn't even that small? I thought that was the average height for a girl. I mean which country are you from? Because I'm actually 5'4 and I know quite a few girls that are smaller than me, but most are around my height or a bit taller.
Original post by Whatever9999

5ft4's quite average though :s-smilie:
Why would you get the piss taken out of you?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This. I'm 4ft9 and won't grow any more. I'd like to not have to climb the shelves in the supermarket, have to turn up all my trousers and not be the butt of every joke...

I'm about the same height, maybe even 4'8 so know exactly what you mean. I work in a supermarket cafe and like I said in order to put the sandwiches/cakes on the display counter or clean the coffee machines I need to use a footstool. I'm so used to being slagged for years (in a jokey way...mostly by the tall guys when we were in school and even the teacher) that it no longer bothers me in that way. And yes...even the short 29 inch trouser legs are way too long on me too :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I don't like tall girls.
Reply 11
I'm 5 ft 10 and always wanted to be shorter. Now I love my height, apart from club nights where i tend to tower over everyone in any size heels!
Reply 12
Original post by Movember
i have found that its not only guys who care about their height a lot. girls seem to care just as much about it too. its obvious why guys want to be taller- girls find taller guys much more attractive. height is the number 1 physical preference most girls look for in a guy. i would even go so far in saying its the number 1 preference overall- before anything else, the average woman will consider height first. so you can see why its so crucial for a guy to be tall. the ideal height for a guy in terms of his attraction to women is just short of 6ft2 (something like 6ft 1.95 inches). i even know some guys who are depressed/suicidal over their short height (yes THAT is how much it matters).

but what i want to know is why do girls want to be taller? guys dont care about the height of a girl. most want a short girl anyway. for guys, they care about hot face and body. they are put off by tall girls and i know some guys who say its off-putting and ugly if a girl is too tall (these are guys who are 6foot and over btw so its not like they are short. and by too tall, they mean 5f10+. taller than the average guy).

it begs the question why do girls want to be taller? i dont understand:s-smilie:

I would prefer a tall woman. Ideally she would be my height (6'1"). I don't really see the great attraction to short women - isn't the whole purpose of sexual attraction to pass on and propagate good genes? Not that I would turn down a short girl; beggars can't be choosers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

with me im not bothered about my height im tall but if i was small i would be just as happy. I think most girls just want to be normal height for a girl rather then smaller then the rest of them as they feel the odd one out.
Well I do think that if you are a bit taller than average for a woman you get taken more seriously (particularly in work situations), in people's minds being small physically is associated with children so therefore they assume a small person is more childlike.

Not in any way saying that this is actually the case but I think it's sometimes an unconcious judgement made by people.

However, my mother is very tall for a woman, 5 10'', and has warned of the dangers of 'short man syndrome'. Which is short men feeling intimidated by very tall women and thus acting in a semi-aggressive or overly defensive way towards them :tongue:
I've been six foot one inches since year seven, doctor says I've got another inch in me to go :biggrin: I'm a guy, As for tall girls well they are pretty damn hot, but I dunno maybe thats because I'm tall myself? Short girls are hot too! Depends on a lot more things, like their eyes etc not just their height :smile:

Every girls is beautiful though :wink: !
I'm 4'10"and 19 years old... go figure.
I'm a 17 yr old, 5"1 girl. At work, I have to go on my tip toes to reach putting the clothes on the top shelves. At college, friends make fun of me in a jokey way because all my girl friends are at least 5"4, and all my guy friends are about 5"8 - 6"2. Clothes always look better on taller girls because they look slimmer. Kissing guys is much harder because I have to go on my tip toes. It makes me look very young so it's much harder to get into clubs in town. Overall, guys just seem to prefer taller girls.
I think it's the fact that models have to be quite tall, and so perhaps that could influence people? :smile: As tall is deemed as attractive (Plus being taller means longer legs, which is seen as a good thing).

So much speculation and supposition in this post stated as 'fact' it makes my head spin. :eek3:

As far as my experience goes, it is relative to the individual. Most guys care that the girl is shorter than them, probably by a few inches. But if the guy in question is this supposed ideal height of 6'2" then that would only need to be about 5'9" for the girl which is by no means short.

Similarly, a girl is probably satisfied with a guy who is tall relative to her. Whether she's 4'9" or 5'9".

As for why girls want to be taller, again my experience is that only really happens when they are around 5ft and is mostly to do with people mocking them or practical reasons of having difficulty seeing/reaching things with ease.

In my opinion, being 6'2" would be when it starts getting so tall that you become noticed as 'the really tall guy', which might be a good thing, or not.

Notice all that opinionated stuff being stated as such, OP, and not extrapolating to universal truisms.

Quick Reply

Latest