The Student Room Group

History/History + Politics

Hi all :smile:

I love History. Just thought I'd put that out there :tongue: Anyhow, what I'm wondering is what previous successful applicants for History and particularly History and Politics have had for their A Levels? (Particularly at Russell Group Unis)

I am thinking about a History course at Uni, but also want to keep my options open because I quite like the idea of other things like Sociology and Speech and Language Therapy!

At the moment, I'm choosing my A-Levels and am definitely taking History. I'm also considering Government and Politics, Geography, Biology, French, Psychology.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have an offer from UCL for history v101 and i was doing history, classics, gov and pol and geography for AS and all but geographjy for A2 :smile:
also holdings offers for History and politcs from QM, SOAS, UEA and Aberdeen with AAB predicted grades :smile:
i think the subjects youve chosen are fine the best combo [doing doing hist/hist and pol] would be history, government and politics, french and geog id say .. especially for russell group ones, a language is always highly regarded :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cl_steele
i have an offer from UCL for history v101 and i was doing history, classics, gov and pol and geography for AS and all but geographjy for A2 :smile:
also holdings offers for History and politcs from QM, SOAS, UEA and Aberdeen with AAB predicted grades :smile:
i think the subjects youve chosen are fine the best combo [doing doing hist/hist and pol] would be history, government and politics, french and geog id say .. especially for russell group ones, a language is always highly regarded :smile:

Ok thank you! Well done on your offers :smile:

If I were to take History, Biology, French and either Government and Politics or Geography, which would you say would be better out of those last two?
Reply 3
Original post by Student96

Ok thank you! Well done on your offers :smile:

If I were to take History, Biology, French and either Government and Politics or Geography, which would you say would be better out of those last two?

for the degree you want to do probably government and politics however theyre both well respected Alevels so the difference between them is negligible the only difference being doing Govt and Pol may make it easier to understand at uni. personally i recommend which ever one you like most :smile:
thanks by the way! :smile:

I love History. Just thought I'd put that out there :tongue: Anyhow, what I'm wondering is what previous successful applicants for History and particularly History and Politics have had for their A Levels? (Particularly at Russell Group Unis)

I am thinking about a History course at Uni, but also want to keep my options open because I quite like the idea of other things like Sociology and Speech and Language Therapy!

At the moment, I'm choosing my A-Levels and am definitely taking History. I'm also considering Government and Politics, Geography, Biology, French, Psychology.

If I were you I would go for History, Geography, Biology, and French, if purely because they are the most respected. Possibly consider English lit or Philosophy too though.
Reply 5
Original post by cl_steele
for the degree you want to do probably government and politics however theyre both well respected Alevels so the difference between them is negligible the only difference being doing Govt and Pol may make it easier to understand at uni. personally i recommend which ever one you like most :smile:
thanks by the way! :smile:

No problem! Yeah I'm thinking now about which I'd be able to get the best grade in :tongue: and also which will help keep my options open too - if I decide to go for a degree like psychology, sociology or speech and language therapy. (I have a few I am thinking about, even though its in the future!)
Reply 6
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
If I were you I would go for History, Geography, Biology, and French, if purely because they are the most respected. Possibly consider English lit or Philosophy too though.

I have considered english lit and decided against, because I really don't want to be stuck doing something I hate for two years! I don't think they offer philosophy at my school, its more RS, and anyhow its again unfortunately not something I enjoy!

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely considering the combination you mentioned there.
Reply 7
based on your interests, I would go for History, French, Biology and Geography. A language is very useful in any case, biology keeps your options open if you wish to study something a little more science based (anthropology perhaps?) and geography goes hand in hand with history, and also complements your other subjects. good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lumos
based on your interests, I would go for History, French, Biology and Geography. A language is very useful in any case, biology keeps your options open if you wish to study something a little more science based (anthropology perhaps?) and geography goes hand in hand with history, and also complements your other subjects. good luck :smile:

Ok definitely interesting combination there, was considering it actually :tongue: thanks for the advice! I will have a look at anthropology, thanks! :smile: I was also thinking about things like speech and language therapy , sociology, psychology.. so I think I'll definitely have bio in there. Would you say History, Geography, French is a strong combination for History then? :smile:
Reply 9
Ok definitely interesting combination there, was considering it actually :tongue: thanks for the advice! I will have a look at anthropology, thanks! :smile: I was also thinking about things like speech and language therapy , sociology, psychology.. so I think I'll definitely have bio in there. Would you say History, Geography, French is a strong combination for History then? :smile:

for history, most combinations are good as long as they are academic subjects, but I would say those four are paricularly strong :smile: a lot of universities say that an A level in a modern foreign language is advantageous :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Lumos
for history, most combinations are good as long as they are academic subjects, but I would say those four are paricularly strong :smile: a lot of universities say that an A level in a modern foreign language is advantageous :tongue:

Ah ok, thanks for that insight!! :smile:

Hi, I'm a History applicant and I was in a very similar position to you last year, deciding between a straight History course or History and Politics. I eventually decided to apply for straight History as I realised how much politics would be involved in the courses I've applied for, and that my general interests lie more in political history anyway. But both courses are excellent choices :biggrin:

I studied History, English, French and Government and Politics at AS and have carried them on to A2 and I have offers from Oxford, Warwick, York and Nottingham. I have to say, History (obviously), Biology and French are all excellent choices - a lot of History courses like for students to have studied a language - not that it's prerequisite at all, but it can be a bonus.

I definitely think you should go for Politics for your fourth option given that you're clearly interested in it and I think it complements History very well, especially if you apply for joint honours. I wouldn't worry about the 'strong subject' argument - Government and Politics is a good A Level and is a respectable and useful choice for a History applicant. Seeing as your other subjects are all traditional it definitely shouldn't be an issue. Ultimately, just go for the one you like best!
Reply 12
Original post by waterloo-sunset
Hi, I'm a History applicant and I was in a very similar position to you last year, deciding between a straight History course or History and Politics. I eventually decided to apply for straight History as I realised how much politics would be involved in the courses I've applied for, and that my general interests lie more in political history anyway. But both courses are excellent choices :biggrin:

I studied History, English, French and Government and Politics at AS and have carried them on to A2 and I have offers from Oxford, Warwick, York and Nottingham. I have to say, History (obviously), Biology and French are all excellent choices - a lot of History courses like for students to have studied a language - not that it's prerequisite at all, but it can be a bonus.

I definitely think you should go for Politics for your fourth option given that you're clearly interested in it and I think it complements History very well, especially if you apply for joint honours. I wouldn't worry about the 'strong subject' argument - Government and Politics is a good A Level and is a respectable and useful choice for a History applicant. Seeing as your other subjects are all traditional it definitely shouldn't be an issue. Ultimately, just go for the one you like best!

Thank you!! That's really really great advice, well done on your offers - you certainly have a great range of choice :tongue: I really appreciate the help, its a tough decision but I think I am leaning towards History Biology French and Gov/Pol now.

Ha we're almost taking/going to take the same subjects! I however can't abide English Lit so will probably replace it with biology in case I step away from History :smile:

Thanks again, good luck with your offers! (Which are you going to firm/have as insurance if you don't mind my asking?)
Thank you!! That's really really great advice, well done on your offers - you certainly have a great range of choice :tongue: I really appreciate the help, its a tough decision but I think I am leaning towards History Biology French and Gov/Pol now.

Ha we're almost taking/going to take the same subjects! I however can't abide English Lit so will probably replace it with biology in case I step away from History :smile:

Thanks again, good luck with your offers! (Which are you going to firm/have as insurance if you don't mind my asking?)

No problem! Yes, good AS options indeed :wink:

I'll definitely be firming Oxford and I haven't quite decided on my insurance yet. I still have to hear from Edinburgh, so fingers crossed that goes well as it would probably be my preferred insurance. But I really like all of the unis I applied to and am very grateful for the offers!

Good luck with the uni decisions ahead of you! If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help if I can :smile:
History and Politics at Southampton, Sussex, Leicester, Loughborough and UEA with AABB for AS and AAC (resitting C to get a B( for A levels)

I study(ied) History (A), English LIterature (A), Maths (C) and then also Psychology for AS which I got a B in.

I know History and ENglish lit is a good combination, and also adding a language in to the mix would also be a good combo and if you want to do pol G+P would make sense too. From your options that you are considering you are in a pretty good position for History and Pol.
Reply 15
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
History and Politics at Southampton, Sussex, Leicester, Loughborough and UEA with AABB for AS and AAC (resitting C to get a B( for A levels)

I study(ied) History (A), English LIterature (A), Maths (C) and then also Psychology for AS which I got a B in.

I know History and ENglish lit is a good combination, and also adding a language in to the mix would also be a good combo and if you want to do pol G+P would make sense too. From your options that you are considering you are in a pretty good position for History and Pol.

Thanks! :smile: How necessary is Government + Politics for History and Politics at Uni do you reckon?
I applied for History and Politics and I took History, Biology, Psychology and Chemistry and got A,B,C,C at AS and one of the C's was in History. My predicted grades are AAB and I have offers from Sheffield AAA, Newcastle AAB, Glasgow ABB and waiting for Edinburgh, but not expecting anything (I have another on but it's not Russell Group). I would say apart from history take what you ill think you will do best in as at the end of the day if you don't get the grades the universities want, no matter what subjects you take you wont be going there - sorry if that's a bit brutal. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Thanks! :smile: How necessary is Government + Politics for History and Politics at Uni do you reckon?

Sorry for not replying but I didn't do G+P and had all five offers.
Reply 18
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Sorry for not replying but I didn't do G+P and had all five offers.

No worries, that's really good news as I've decided not to take G+P as its in the consortium at my school so I can't be sure of teaching or how I would do with it :smile:

Thank you!

Just out of interest, are you at Uni now then?
No worries, that's really good news as I've decided not to take G+P as its in the consortium at my school so I can't be sure of teaching or how I would do with it :smile:

Thank you!

Just out of interest, are you at Uni now then?

Brilliant :smile: Much much better to do another subject than one you don't fully want to do and may be naff teaching :yes:

I have an unconditional to start in september :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest