The Student Room Group

Moroccan 16, kills herself because judge forced her to marry her RAPIST

Scroll to see replies

Messed up, backwards thinking animals!
I understand that different cultures have very different ways of dealing with the law but surely no-one could disagree that this is just twisted. I honestly don't see how her honour could be preserved by marrying him.
Original post by RandomPeopleDancin
I understand that different cultures have very different ways of dealing with the law but surely no-one could disagree that this is just twisted. I honestly don't see how her honour could be preserved by marrying him.

notionally because in these cultures you have to be a virgin when you are married if youre not [for what ever reason, even rape] youre branded a harlett hence why she was made to marry him it means she still technically lost it to her husband and shes not branded as a slut by the public and her family arent as such shamed.
Original post by cl_steele
notionally because in these cultures you have to be a virgin when you are married if youre not [for what ever reason, even rape] youre branded a harlett hence why she was made to marry him it means she still technically lost it to her husband and shes not branded as a slut by the public and her family arent as such shamed.

I suppose. But it still is a bit sick...there should be something better than being forced to marry them. I think its like a catch 22; marry the one who raped you to not make your family ashamed. Don't marry him and be branded a slut. =/ But I'm guessing there also wasn't too much choice for her from the sound of it...
Such a sad story.
Original post by One Nation
Muslims

God forbid, good that we our religiously free.....unless you want to be muslim.
Reply 145
Original post by Point!
How disgusting. What 'honour' would be left for the girl or her family, when she has to be married to someone who did something so horrible to her.

How these laws and such can still be upheld in this day and age is beyond me, regardless of whether the law is based on tradition/religion/history.

this is so tru to look at the man who defiled you and call him husband is just horrifying im so sorry she had to resort to suicide but i understand why. i feel for her family
Original post by Chloe xxx
I have read your reply and I'm not saying anything against it other than the original post was about the reaction on the forum from muslims/people defending islam when it is criticized. It wasnt about Islam itself. As islam isnt an active being, its a religion, it can only be put into practice by its followers. They ARE Islam, they are the ones that put it into practice. If there were no muslims, there'd be no Islam, in essence.

So muslims and what they do in the name of Islam and common behaviour within that community are what gives non believers their impressions of what the religion stands for and asks of its believers. I've also posted specific verses in the past stating quite clearly and abundantly that 'pagans (kaafirs) are unclean, thus should not enter the sacred mosque' and 'women are like domestic animals, they have nothing themselves' and 'they (women) are a degree lower than men'.

How can you twist, as so many muslims on here do, these specific lyrics not to mean what they so obviously do?

Not true, because even many Muslims will tell you, that they wouldn't considered themselves good.....no proper following Muslim would ever say so because they don't know if they have been good or not. Allow thing is that just following Islam doesn't mean you automatically are Islam,etc...........otherwise it would be stating every individual's actions are based on the faith or anything else they follow. Which is total misrepresentation.......you see vicars in the past who were convicted of sexual assaults on kids....that doesn't mean Christanity supports or anything, thats just bullcrap..thats not their faith, they did that out of their freewill.

Is it not also possible, when someone says their doing something in the name of a faith, isn't really, but using it to gain support from vulnerable people......nor does the actions of a community reflect a faith either. That's stereotyping, people are ignorant by doing so.
Would you like to quote the passages?

Lyrics? These are important words to others.....plus who says I twist, your the one who twists, I always give the valid answer from the Qu'ran with the context behind it to. You can't just take something for what it is without realising the purpose of it.
it should be pointed out to all those saying moroccans are backward that just because a country has a certain law doesnt mean people agree with it, people are protesting against this backwards article 48

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17419307
The judge should be ashamed of himself.
Reply 149
Original post by Chloe xxx
lol, a word picker. Its a common mistake, especially when you've been working all day and are tired. Get over yourself, please.

How many men did you get?
Reply 150
Original post by .eXe
That's from the old testament, and those laws aren't observed anymore in current Christian belief because Jesus died in order to redeem our sins so there is no need to follow the old law anymore.

Also, this is Morocco we are talking about...they don't exactly agree with the Bible there...

Then why have it in the Bible?
Nowhere in the Shariah does it order a rape victim to marry the perpetrator of this act. Someone PROVE me wrong. Go on I challenge you..
Reply 152
Original post by sabre2th1
Nowhere in the Shariah does it order a rape victim to marry the perpetrator of this act. Someone PROVE me wrong. Go on I challenge you..

Qur'an (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..."

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Umdat al-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller) (o9.13) - According to Sharia, when a child or woman is taken captive by Muslims, they become slaves by the mere fact of their capture. A captured woman's previous marriage is immediately annulled.
Qur'an (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..."

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Umdat al-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller) (o9.13) - According to Sharia, when a child or woman is taken captive by Muslims, they become slaves by the mere fact of their capture. A captured woman's previous marriage is immediately annulled.

1) You can only marry them with their consent
2) I asked for PROOF that a rape victim has to marry the person who raped them,

all you have provided is a hadith (with a few false words inserted might I add) that says you can marry your slaves.
chineke meh.
that right there is horrible, unjust.. just plain ol' despicable.
Reply 155
Original post by sabre2th1
1) You can only marry them with their consent
2) I asked for PROOF that a rape victim has to marry the person who raped them,

all you have provided is a hadith (with a few false words inserted might I add) that says you can marry your slaves.

You are lying, Muhammed said that Muslims how can a slave or captured infidel give consent ?

Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..."

And I have provided Quran and Hadith sources, you must obviously be a Muslim which is why you defend this
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 156
To the christians who jump at Muslims at every opportunity they get, check this out!

According to the bible the rapist has to marry his victim:
Deautronamy 22:28 "if a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged,he must pay 50 pieces of silver to her father then marry her..and will never be allowed to divorce her"

So stop attacking us and blaming us for this TRIBAL practice that just happened to be in a Muslim majority country, and follows none of the Islamic laws.
Reply 157
You are the one that is ignorant, and an Islamic judge DID make her do that.

Edited to add: waiting for Muslim excuse # 1423 ' the judge is not a real Muslim '

I have personally come across 'Islamic Judges' (Muftis) in certain parts of the world who are totally untrained and have qualified thanks to corruption in the institutions that certificate them, though it is rare. This happens in some places, and when these pseudo-judges pass a dodgy fatwa, it makes international headlines, despite it being a very rare thing.

untrained judges exist all over the world, and I am speaking from experience. In the 0.1% of cases where they exist (actually probably a lot more than that in many corrupt countries), they make national headlines following a blunder. This is one of those blunders, and in this case the judge happens to be an 'Islamic judge'.

I shall restate what I posted before, ''The first clause of that sentence is categorically false and demonstrates wilful ignorance. The second clause of that sentence does not acknowledge the need for the act to be done willingly in Islamic jurisprudence.

I for one have no idea about the ins and outs of this case and how accurate this news source is, but Islamically no judge can possibly make her do that.''

I am telling you from a position of greater knowledge than yourself (regarding Islamic jurisprudence), Islamically, if the article is true - and I am not intimately aware of the extent to which this article is true - the judge has passed an incorrect fatwa.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ice_man
To the christians who jump at Muslims at every opportunity they get, check this out!

According to the bible the rapist has to marry his victim:
Deautronamy 22:28 "if a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged,he must pay 50 pieces of silver to her father then marry her..and will never be allowed to divorce her"

So stop attacking us and blaming us for this TRIBAL practice that just happened to be in a Muslim majority country, and follows none of the Islamic laws.

1) That's in the Old Testament; most Christians don't tend to follow the teachings from the Old Testament directly because they tend to be out-dated and even backwards in nature.
2) Christian countries don't follow laws from the bible that clash with basic human morals and common sense. England is a Christian country. Yet it's not against the law to plait your hair, or grow different seeds together or to wear different material together; even though in the Old Testament it says these things are wrong. And it's certainly not the law to make someone marry their rapist, despite what it says in Deautronamy 22:28.

Also want to add a massive LOL for the people quoting the Daily Mail as a source of truth.
I think that what has happened in this story is undoubtably very tragic. But as rupertj said, it is all about corruption. Unfortunatly, these sorts of things happen daily, without us even knowing, irrespective of the religious clergies involved. Speaking as a muslim I am deeply ashamed of the acts of this judge who seemingly has no knowledge of law but also ashamed that we all seem to have a hasty prejudice against the billion and a half people in this world who practise the religion of islam.
A few people on here seem to think that all muslims are like this when they are not, its the tiny minority who have had no education and just plonked into positions of seniority by the powers that be- and this, in many cases, may well be islamist extremists who have strong influence on the governmental bodies of those countries ensnared. The causes of these situations are again equally tragic. News agencies and media corporations love to exploit circumstances like these for money because people show interest for this. It gets people arguing, debating all for nothing. Alas Amina is dead and may she rest in peace, arguments will not bring her back and certainly will not bring the judge to any justice or clean the world of corruption. The judge was not right in islam doing that. So why blame islam on the whole for his viewpoint?

Quick Reply