The Student Room Group

Why don't we just ARREST the most evil war criminal on the planet

We've all heard of President Assad, but this man makes Assad look like a pacifist. His name is Omar al-Bashir, and he's the President of Sudan.

Not content with murdering hundreds of thousands of his own people in Darfur, Bashir is currently waging war with civilians in southern Sudan. The mainly Christian black population, called the Nuba, are currently being bombarded by Antinov planes sent by Khartoum. These planes regularly kill civilians (especially children) and maim innocents, which are deliberately targeted.

Being the nice guy he is, al-Bashir is also deliberately causing a famine of the Nuba peoples, which is going to kill tens of thousands of people. All because he can't stand diversity in Sudan.

Al Bashir is a racist, xenophobic pshycopath- which would be fine in normal circumstances. However, the man is president of an entire country.

George Clooney is one of the few famous people bringing light to the genocidal Sudanese regime (a cause that makes a mockery of the joke causes of lesser actors like Sean Penn), and The Hague has issued an arrest warrant for al-Bashir.

I am in favour of the West deposing the current regime Libya style, as, with the possible exception of the Gulag system in North Korea, the situation in Sudan is the worst human rights abuse that is happening on our planet right now. The mainstream media barely covers it (showing just how much insanity that is gripping this planet).

Some links:

http://www.genocideintervention.net/?gclid=CKHKgfv_tK8CFYpjfAodsiQ7l g

[video="youtube;vINh63Aeafg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINh63Aeafg&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL[/video]

http://www.savedarfur.org/

al-Bashir is a wicked, wicked man. The sooner we raise attention of his multiple genocides, the better.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Omar2012
Reply 2
Because it would mean getting criticism for picking and choosing, which would mean you'd need to the same with leaders in places such as DR Congo, Somalia, Burma, etc. And also because the majority humans only like doing something when there's something in it for them (i.e oil), but Sudan doesn't have anything to give.

Although saying that, they should be going for Congo in that case, since it's filled with resources, but they're probably avoiding conflict with the country because China pretty much owns it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by No Man
Because it would mean getting criticism for picking and choosing, which would mean you'd need to the same with leaders in places such as DR Congo, Somalia, Burma, etc. And also because the majority humans only like doing something when there's something in it for them (i.e oil), but Sudan doesn't have anything to give.

Although saying that, they should be going for Congo in that case, since it's filled with resources, but they're probably avoiding conflict with the country since China pretty much owns it.

I don't think the situation in Burma is anywhere near as bad as Sudan, nor Somalia for that matter (I don't know enough about DR Congo to judge, but I hear it's the rape capital of the world).

That's the main problem. Unfortunately, we can't just depose a genocidal dictator because he's a genocidal dictator. That has to be some sort of incentive.
Reply 4
Tbh the UN nor the west give a crap about Sudan. They have a mysterious obsession with the middle east. There is ***** up **** in the world and its only going to get worse. Lets hope and pray that all the evil dictatorships in the world end asap and that those who support them are too bought to justice.
Make a video called 'Bashir 2012'
Upload to youtube
????
Profit
The problem is that we could spend in excess of a trillion dollars removing him from power and trying to create a stable country and still fail. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan. It isn't just a matter of arresting him and 'liberating' the country, we would then have to make sure someone just as bad/ even worse doesn't come along.
Reply 7
aside from a propaganda victory arresting him really wont make a damn bit of change he undoubedly has even more evil generals under him who're morethan happy to compensate for his absence and ramp up proceedings.
Reply 8
Original post by No Man

Although saying that, they should be going for Congo in that case, since it's filled with resources, but they're probably avoiding conflict with the country because China pretty much owns it.

Actually Sudan has loads of oil.
Pick up the phone and dial 999.
Original post by navarre

I don't know much about him, but how is he racist?
Reply 11
Why should we interfere?

The west gets moaned at so much for helping/interfering in the affairs of Muslims.

Let them kill each other, less for us to worry about and less people to share their oil.
We gotta get this guy first.

Reply 13
Original post by talon1579
Actually Sudan has loads of oil.

Original post by navarre

Good idea. I love it when people on web forums solve sensitive geopolitical issues from the comfort of their bedroom.

Are you really that arrogant that you think you're the first person to suggest that?
Are you really arrogant enough to infringe the sovreignty of a state you probably have no idea about in some kind of neo-colonial, world police, 'Blackhawk Down" kind of way?
The last thing that the 'global community' needs is another Bin-Laden style extra-judicial murder by an over-zealous, self-aggrandizing state driven by baying bloodlust from a population of fanatics.
Original post by R£SP£CT
Tbh the UN nor the west give a crap about Sudan. They have a mysterious obsession with the middle east. There is ***** up **** in the world and its only going to get worse. Lets hope and pray that all the evil dictatorships in the world end asap and that those who support them are too bought to justice.

It's not that mysterious.

Oil and Israel.

They don't give a **** about any human rights. They don't care about Syrians any more than Sudanese.
Reply 16
Original post by sabre2th1
I don't know much about him, but how is he racist?

He wants to impose Arab culture on the black Nuba people via the Arabic language and Islamic law. He hates diversity in Sudan and has vowed to get rid of any diversity within the country.
Reply 17
Maybe it's because he has you know....the entire Sudanese Army at his disposal??? There is such a thing as sovereignty you know. keyboard activists such as yourself need to stop thinking that everyone on the planet bows before The Hague. All that happens is some foreign ruler does some undesirable stuff in his country, a bunch of westerners get together and declare it a war crime, issue a token arrest warrant, and spent the next 20 years waiting for the ruler to lose power and be exiled so they can safely apprehend him. Even you could do this right now. They don't just wade in to any governmental headquarters up to the president and go "right you're nicked" you know. They would be thrown in jail/executed before they could even finish that sentence. Whenever the US launches an invasion "to apprehend war criminals and restore democracy" they are obviously doing it to gain something be it oil or a strategic base or just to get rid of some annoying terrorists. Invasions cost money. They won't just go in to get one guy. And as others have said it's Africa. if were gonna be trying to arrest one evil dictator why not the other 50? Even if we did get rid of him he would only be replaced by someone else.
Reply 18
Original post by NeuralGroove
Good idea. I love it when people on web forums solve sensitive geopolitical issues from the comfort of their bedroom.

Are you really that arrogant that you think you're the first person to suggest that?
Are you really arrogant enough to infringe the sovreignty of a state you probably have no idea about in some kind of neo-colonial, world police, 'Blackhawk Down" kind of way?
The last thing that the 'global community' needs is another Bin-Laden style extra-judicial murder by an over-zealous, self-aggrandizing state driven by baying bloodlust from a population of fanatics.

It may be the last thing the 'global community' wants, but it's the first thing the hundreds of thousands of his victims want. And surely, if you have any sanity, you can see that lives are more important than some hurt feelings within the global community?

Plus, not sure if you are able to read properly (that's another debate about literacy standards in our schools), but I was advocating arresting the man. I didn't mention anything about an extra-judicial murder.
Original post by navarre
He wants to impose Arab culture on the black Nuba people via the Arabic language and Islamic law. He hates diversity in Sudan and has vowed to get rid of any diversity within the country.

So he hates the Nuba people because they are Black even though the majority of them are Muslim (Wikipedia)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending